Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my Giulia TI tomorrow, anybody know how this works? It's part of the leather pkg.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Picking up my Giulia TI tomorrow, anybody know how this works? It's part of the leather pkg.
I dont think the Giulia comes with a charcoal air purifier like some Mercedes so its just a simple sensor that "smells" the quality of the air coming into the cabin and automatically engages the air re-circulation feature independent on the temperature setting in the HVAC and outside temperature.

My Buick Lacrosse had the same feature. It works like this - I'll give you three scenarios where this automatic feature comes in handy: 1) If you are stuck in traffic in a tunnel where the quality of the air is drastically lower, the car will automatically switch to re-circulation so you avoid having CO2 enter the cabin.
2) you are driving and then go behind a bus/car or those horrible diesel trucks which emit lots of exhaust smoke, the car will automatically sense this and change to re-circulation mode to avoid having the smoke come into the cabin before you actually notice it.
3) If there is a wild fire around your area while your driving, the car will keep it in re-circulation again to avoid having the smoke enter the cabin.
All this is being done automatically for you. Its a cool feature and I've experienced the system doing its job for scenarios 2 and 3.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This is called the "Beijing Option".

Air quality so bad its better to breath stale air.

By 2020 they will need the Tesla biochemical AC filtration system on every car sold I n China.

P.S., "you Americans and Europeans invest Trillions in carbon mitigation. China would NEEEEVER massively cheat on the Paris accords, no, no, no" ... LOL.

PPS, "we totally respect your intellectual property..."

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
I dont think the Giulia comes with a charcoal air purifier like some Mercedes so its just a simple sensor that "smells" the quality of the air coming into the cabin and automatically engages the air re-circulation feature independent on the temperature setting in the HVAC and outside temperature.

My Buick Lacrosse had the same feature. It works like this - I'll give you three scenarios where this automatic feature comes in handy: 1) If you are stuck in traffic in a tunnel where the quality of the air is drastically lower, the car will automatically switch to re-circulation so you avoid having CO2 enter the cabin.
2) you are driving and then go behind a bus/car or those horrible diesel trucks which emit lots of exhaust smoke, the car will automatically sense this and change to re-circulation mode to avoid having the smoke come into the cabin before you actually notice it.
3) If there is a wild fire around your area while your driving, the car will keep it in re-circulation again to avoid having the smoke enter the cabin.
All this is being done automatically for you. Its a cool feature and I've experienced the system doing its job for scenarios 2 and 3.
What indication do you have that it's working when it's on automatic?

Be careful not to stay in recirculation mode for too long during fogging conditions.

·
Registered
953 Posts
What indication do you have that it's working when it's on automatic?

Be careful not to stay in recirculation mode for too long during fogging conditions.
There is no "light" that comes on to tell you that its currently active. The only way to confirm its with your own sense of smell lol. You would expect to smell smoke from lets say a bus if you are behind it, but then you notice you dont smell anything... that's when you know its working. Also, I was driving to work on morning and there was a wildfire in the Everglades and the entire city was covered in smoke. I got into the car and NEVER smelled smoke until I got out of my car then finally realized, oh wow... smells like **** out here. I then knew the system was doing its job. You can do this manually of course.

Also, the Giulia HVAC system has a humidity sensor as well. It will notice the amount of humidity in the air and adjust the system accordingly. This is the whole purpose of the fully automatic HVAC system. You dont have to worry about manually adjusting anything based on outside conditions.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I live in rural Nebraska between Omaha and Lincoln and pass animal feed lots and was hoping it worked for stink also (wishful thinking, kind of knew would not work for stink but was hoping).

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks, I live in rural Nebraska between Omaha and Lincoln and pass animal feed lots and was hoping it worked for stink also (wishful thinking, kind of knew would not work for stink but was hoping).
If the air has lots of methane due to excess cow farts, it will probably activate the feature :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts