Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the forum and owner of a new Alfa in white with the 19' sport rims in gunmetal/black.
Over the weekend I custom made a air intake. I will have pictures soon. This is an interim solution until EC releases theirs. Simple parts and a considerable difference in how the car pulls. Really opened up the engine roar and you can hear the turbo blow off a bit. Stay tuned for pics.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello. New to the forum and owner of a new Alfa in white with the 19' sport rims in gunmetal/black.
Over the weekend I custom made a air intake. I will have pictures soon. This is an interim solution until EC releases theirs. Simple parts and a considerable difference in how the car pulls. Really opened up the engine roar and you can hear the turbo blow off a bit. Stay tuned for pics.
Without a covering, won't it be pulling in hot air versus having a "cold air" intake"?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Without a covering, won't it be pulling in hot air versus having a "cold air" intake"?
Yes but you can make a shroud for it. Look for where the intercooler and radiators flow out and try to isolate it from them. Also look for the stock air channel that fed the old box and tape into that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be ordering a carbon shroud and replacing the aluminum and stock 3" with Euro Compulsion parts once available. Its short term and some improvements to come.
I routes the intake from the front grill directly to the side of the filter.

Guys for 50 bucks this is performing very very well. Put and exhaust and reflash the ECU and you bring this baby ALIVE!!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Just a few things to consider when you take your car for service at the dealer especially for its 1st complimentary oil change. They will notice the air intake system has been replaced/modified. They may note it in their system and you will lose the bumper-to-bumper coverage on the intake parts. Even more important if you are deciding on re-flashing your ECU. The Giulia seems to be receiving constant ECU updates from the factory. If you have a custom ECU tune, they will know and they will not be able to flash your ECU to the latest software. These flashes are important as AR seems to be constantly tweaking the engine management software hoping to refine the engine temperament a bit more.

But good job on the mod. Looks like a legit aftermarket option and not a DIY garage project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes agree, warranty is in jepordy with all modifications.

Here are the parts.
3.5 to 3.75 silicone intercooler coupling
3.5 inch od polished alum 6" long pipe
10" long filter with 3.5" inlet
Hose clamps

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does this engine require an ECU tune to go along with any sort of intake or turbo-back/downpipe mod to prevent any detonation or other damage to the turbo or engine? What do you use to tune the ECU? Is there something like the Cobb Accessport?

I know with my STi, you HAD to tune if you dropped an intake or full exhaust. If you didn't, the engine is toast over a very short amount of time due to the turbo and boxer engine. Normally a bearing goes, dropping oil pressure eventually fusing the crankshaft, shooting a piston through the block.

On the flipside, I didn't need to tune my Mazdaspeed 3 when dropping an intake and turboback in, so must be engine specific.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Does this engine require an ECU tune to go along with any sort of intake or turbo-back/downpipe mod to prevent any detonation or other damage to the turbo or engine?
Absolutely not. The Giulia's Magneti Marelli engine management system will adapt to any intake mods you could possibly throw at it, the same is true for exhaust mods on this car. The system will detect any changes in air density due to pressure or temperature variations and adjust accordingly.

Greg

·
Registered
580 Posts
It will likely be warmer that with the stock intake, but probably not much in this case. When the car is moving that area stays surprisingly cool. Now at a standstill, it will heat up, but it's just not as bad as you might think. Plus the increased volume of air from the free flowing configuration may offset the temperature change (I can't say as I haven't run quite the same setup as AlfaTox). We will have specific test data up for this soon when we release our intakes for this car.

Greg

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Gregg,
Thanks for the technical details. Any update on the Air Intake release and tune? Waiting for both.
Both are being finalized, expect releases in September if everything stays on schedule.

Reactions: Bull and alfa55

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Absolutely not. The Giulia's Magneti Marelli engine management system will adapt to any intake mods you could possibly throw at it, the same is true for exhaust mods on this car. The system will detect any changes in air density due to pressure or temperature variations and adjust accordingly.

Greg
Hmmm, some folks make an electric blower that is intended to reduce low RPM turbo lag (I DO NOT know if the products that are offered work or not, but the principal seems sound). This would be seen as increased intake air pressure. I wonder if the engine management can cope?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm, some folks make an electric blower that is intended to reduce low RPM turbo lag (I DO NOT know if the products that are offered work or not, but the principal seems sound). This would be seen as increased intake air pressure. I wonder if the engine management can cope?

blower ? absolutely unusefull, not a good idea. the turbo lag is really close to zero with twin scroll, better use a air panel like BNC to reduce the air resistance but, in the end the results are partial, the marelli ecu compensate every change.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
blower ? absolutely unusefull, not a good idea. the turbo lag is really close to zero with twin scroll, better use a air panel like BNC to reduce the air resistance but, in the end the results are partial, the marelli ecu compensate every change.
Volvo uses a supercharger to boost the power of their turbocharged engine. Seems to work well for them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.