Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is starting to get hot in Atlanta. I became concerned and pissed off when I got in the car and it took a long time to cool down the car and at times the air coming out of the vents was luke cold even with the lowest temperature setting. I contacted the dealer to see if he had any answers or suggestions . I thought maybe the freon level was low. They stated the air conditioning system worked quite well and they recommended to roll down the windows until the car cooled down (yea right). To make a long story short it turns out when the car is stopped and the engine is idling, the air conditioning compressor turns off. The fan continues to blow normally. So if you are at a prolonged red light or stopped for a long time and the engine turns off, it can get it hot quickly inside the car. You have to manually disengage the "start/stop" button to keep the engine and hence compressor running. Every other car that I own or owned would keep the engine going and not turn off the airconditioning compressor. Italian ingenuity.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's already been in the upper 90's here and I've had no problem keeping the car interior cool. I even have the glass roof. The auto stop/start should not stop the engine if the interior is not at the desired temperature according to the auto temp settings on the climate control system.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Gosh, I've been impressed at how cold the air blows right away after starting. So much so that I often react by increasing the temperature setting.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Actually, I've found the heating and cooling system in this vehicle to be the best I have ever seen. For a 2 L four-cylinder motor it heats up in the coldest weather right away and the AC blows ice cold almost immediately. I think one of the key issues is that The auto button has to be pushed so that the vehicle targets a specific temperature. My AC does run even when I'm at a stoplight and I often recognize this because I did not mean to run the AC and the Running motor is my cue that I accidentally allowed the AC on. Really, it's been one of those few non-driving/handling things that are really good about this car.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
that's interesting. Not noticed that as I tend to switch off the on/off as the first thing I do (please make a software update Alfa!) though I made the newbie mistake of not pressing the AC button and just blowing regular air on myself for 10 minutes before I realized ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in Tucson (always hot) and have had my Ti for 3 days...and I'm with the OP from ATL on this...the AC on my car is cold, but not very forceful. Even on Auto with LO as the temp, I need to manually increase the fan speed (and can- the Auto setting appears to be 3). In my TSX, if I took it to LO on Auto, it would max the fan, auto recirc (Giulia does this too) and cool the cabin down in a few minutes. With the Giulia fan on 6, the car hits a comfortable temperature in 20 minutes, which is about 14 minutes longer than my commute. Going to try the auto-start today, but not a big fan of the additional fuel that will use...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Tucson (always hot) and have had my Ti for 3 days...and I'm with the OP from ATL on this...the AC on my car is cold, but not very forceful. Even on Auto with LO as the temp, I need to manually increase the fan speed (and can- the Auto setting appears to be 3). In my TSX, if I took it to LO on Auto, it would max the fan, auto recirc (Giulia does this too) and cool the cabin down in a few minutes. With the Giulia fan on 6, the car hits a comfortable temperature in 20 minutes, which is about 14 minutes longer than my commute. Going to try the auto-start today, but not a big fan of the additional fuel that will use...
You may have figured this out by now, but what I've figured out on my car is that the fan blows plenty of air, but the auto climate seems to like to split the air between dash vents and floor vents. I'm in DFW so it's also really hot, and this is really annoying. I'll be driving and getting cold air but not much flow from the dash vents, and will be uncomfortable. If I manually change the vent to blow only from the dash vent everything is fine. But of course this basically puts the whole system into manual mode, so you have to work the temp, fan speed, etc. yourself. This is the only car I've ever had with auto climate that does this...or at least that does this in a noticeable and uncomfortable way. I've only had the car a few days but if this issue keeps up I'll have to take it in to the dealer and see if there's something they can fix.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is starting to get hot in Atlanta. I became concerned and pissed off when I got in the car and it took a long time to cool down the car and at times the air coming out of the vents was luke cold even with the lowest temperature setting. I contacted the dealer to see if he had any answers or suggestions . I thought maybe the freon level was low. They stated the air conditioning system worked quite well and they recommended to roll down the windows until the car cooled down (yea right). To make a long story short it turns out when the car is stopped and the engine is idling, the air conditioning compressor turns off. The fan continues to blow normally. So if you are at a prolonged red light or stopped for a long time and the engine turns off, it can get it hot quickly inside the car. You have to manually disengage the "start/stop" button to keep the engine and hence compressor running. Every other car that I own or owned would keep the engine going and not turn off the airconditioning compressor. Italian ingenuity.
FYI Theres a known HVAC issue which can be rectified via HVAC software update.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
+1 on above. I find that so annoying! You hear the blower making so much noise yet very little air blowing from the vents. I also leave mine on Manual because Auto does not make me comfortable. Also, there is a noticeable delay when you start the car and when the fan decides to actually start blowing air. In the mean time, you are cooking to death sitting in a hot car.

I also agree that normally (on all cars I have been in) when you set the setting on Low, its automatic for the HVAC system to go full blower speed. Not so much on the Giulia. The HVAC system is really a pain in the rear end. I dont think its programmed very well and does not really take into account hot climates.

·
Registered
57 Posts
+1 on above. I find that so annoying! You hear the blower making so much noise yet very little air blowing from the vents. I also leave mine on Manual because Auto does not make me comfortable. Also, there is a noticeable delay when you start the car and when the fan decides to actually start blowing air. In the mean time, you are cooking to death sitting in a hot car.

I also agree that normally (on all cars I have been in) when you set the setting on Low, its automatic for the HVAC system to go full blower speed. Not so much on the Giulia. The HVAC system is really a pain in the rear end. I dont think its programmed very well and does not really take into account hot climates.
See the service records I just posted above from my recent visit. There's a known HVAC issue. Mine works great in heat over 100 now. Before, it was crap. I was dying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, there is a noticeable delay when you start the car and when the fan decides to actually start blowing air. In the mean time, you are cooking to death sitting in a hot car.
Yes I notice this too, it's annoying. I've never found any value in having remote start on the key fob before because the range is so short, but I think with this car it may be worth using just for this problem.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Yes I notice this too, it's annoying. I've never found any value in having remote start on the key fob before because the range is so short, but I think with this car it may be worth using just for this problem.
This delay is the only reason why I use the remote start... It has become and invaluable feature during the summer.

·
Registered
869 Posts
MacGeek said that the S/S allows a 4 deg_C, 7.2 deg_F, swing between the set and actual before the S/S re-enagages. So if you have the thing set to 71 it'll get up to ~78 before re-engaging.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I noticed this weekend on a two hour drive that the A/C, at one point, decided it did not want to cool as much. I fiddled with it for a while and somehow it worked again. BUT, I live in Houston so that's not going to cut it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
DFW area, A/C works perfectly since new, always switch off stop/start, never adjust the settings from auto.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DFW area, A/C works perfectly since new, always switch off stop/start, never adjust the settings from auto.
I think I figured it out and it had to do with the auto air recirculation button that regulates when it recirculates or does not. I'll try again on a warm day...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah. We were also facing the same issue. As AC is important for in this season, we were facing a lot of trouble when our air conditioning system stopped working. We were recommended to consult AC repair service NJ professionals to come and do the repair job for us.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I noticed this weekend on a two hour drive that the A/C, at one point, decided it did not want to cool as much. I fiddled with it for a while and somehow it worked again. BUT, I live in Houston so that's not going to cut it.
that's possibly a know problem, for which there is an update :
climate update.pdf
climate update2.pdf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts