Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Mine is part number 63745. I carry a tire plug kit too.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,263 Posts
You know I don't know I have it sitting in the right side of the trunk liner which it fits in fine. I'll check later today.
I just worry about having something heavy and loose in the trunk, especially with the battery back there and the battery compartment door being essentially a sheet of felt

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just worry about having something heavy and loose in the trunk, especially with the battery back there and the battery compartment door being essentially a sheet of felt
This thing is LIGHT ... very light but I still haven't fitted it under yet... will get to it once work is over.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
This thing is LIGHT ... very light but I still haven't fitted it under yet... will get to it once work is over.
I guess that couldn't cause damage but I wouldn't want something loose in the trunk.

My compressor is 4x4x2 inches so it fits under the liner

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I just bought this. 40$ with coupon. Looks pretty good on paper:
  • Cordless
  • Digital gauge
  • 12v adapter to charge it on the go if battery dies
  • Size is my only concern of if it will fit under the trunk floor, but if not, maybe the mesh net behind a seat
I'll report back on Sunday

Reactions: srguy

·
Registered
800 Posts
Look
I just bought this. 40$ with coupon. Looks pretty good on paper:
  • Cordless
  • Digital gauge
  • 12v adapter to charge it on the go if battery dies
  • Size is my only concern of if it will fit under the trunk floor, but if not, maybe the mesh net behind a seat
I'll report back on Sunday

Look forward to a review

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Look

Look forward to a review
I got to try it tonight. Works really well.

It's small enough to fit under the trunk floor so it's portable. It has a digital gauge so you can set the desired pressure in multiple units (psi, bar, etc.). And it's cordless so it's easy to use, but it comes with a long 12v cable in case your battery dies. It won't charge it with the 12v, but it will allow you to inflate the tires.

Idk how long the battery lasts but they claim it can fully fill 3 tires to 35psi, so 4 under inflated tires should be no problem.

I still need to figure out how long the battery will last when sitting idle, but I think I just need to remember to recharge it once every few months. And even if I forget, I have the 12v cable in the car so I can still use it.

Only knock against it is the carry case. It's just about big enough for the device and the air hose, but it won't fit the 12v cable as well. Otherwise, I highly recommend this!

EDIT: And it also has a built in flashlight in case you need it.
It's not as small or as light as my old one, but being cordless, and have a digital gauge that allows you to preset the pressure is a much better trade-off.

Reactions: Richardalfa

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a little late to the party here, but I have a Viair 87P I keep in the trunk. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDWJRZW/

Make no mistake, this is not a wimpy compressor that just plugs into the 12V outlet. Viair makes the stuff people with air suspensions permanently mount in the vehicle. You clamp this onto the underhood battery terminals. It's faster than any of the battery powered compressors, weighs less, and you never need to worry about keeping a lithium battery in a hot trunk or making sure it's charged. I would probably recommend the 88P to anybody buying now, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ASY23I/ . It has a longer hose so you don't need to run it under the car or across the fender to reach the left rear. The reason I didn't get the 88P was when I purchased they didn't have a carrying case for the 88P.

The Viair will take any Giulia tire from 25 to 35 PSI in a minute at most.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I'm a little late to the party here, but I have a Viair 87P I keep in the trunk. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDWJRZW/

Make no mistake, this is not a wimpy compressor that just plugs into the 12V outlet. Viair makes the stuff people with air suspensions permanently mount in the vehicle. You clamp this onto the underhood battery terminals. It's faster than any of the battery powered compressors, weighs less, and you never need to worry about keeping a lithium battery in a hot trunk or making sure it's charged. I would probably recommend the 88P to anybody buying now, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ASY23I/ . It has a longer hose so you don't need to run it under the car or across the fender to reach the left rear. The reason I didn't get the 88P was when I purchased they didn't have a carrying case for the 88P.

The Viair will take any Giulia tire from 25 to 35 PSI in a minute at most.
Now you got me worrying about keeping the battery in my new one in the trunk. Thanks a lot lol

I'm sure it will be fine, but I'm going to check the operating temperatures just to be safe

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Based on this thread: Inside Trunk temperature issue Giulia Quadrifoglio, it seems like the trunk can get close to max operating temperatures of LI batteries which seems that be around 130-140F.

Still I'm sure this thing was designed to be stored in a car, and potentially the trunk, so I should be ok. If not, there's always the mesh behind the seat

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I ended up erring on the side of caution, and didn't want to risk a LI battery in a hot trunk. This fits perfectly in the mesh net behind the seat. Guess I'm glad I don't have the sparcos lol

I know have an umbrella behind the driver seat and my tire inflator behind the passenger; and I kept the 12v backup cable under the trunk floor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I ended up erring on the side of caution, and didn't want to risk a LI battery in a hot trunk. This fits perfectly in the mesh net behind the seat. Guess I'm glad I don't have the sparcos lol

I know have an umbrella behind the driver seat and my tire inflator behind the passenger; and I kept the 12v backup cable under the trunk floor.
Are you sure inside the car is any better than the trunk in terms of temperature? I thought all that glass lets more heat in and creates a greenhouse effect.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Are you sure inside the car is any better than the trunk in terms of temperature? I thought all that glass lets more heat in and creates a greenhouse effect.
I'm not but I figure that when driving, the cabin temperature is regulated via AC/window/heater vs. the trunk which was shown to get around 140f+ (though I will say I've never noticed my trunk get that hot, but have never actually measured).

Thankfully I live in a climate that shouldn't cause the cabin to get too hot during the summer months, even if parked directly in the sun; and since I have a garage, I rarely park it outside for more than a few hours at a time.

The cabin seems a safer place to me. I will say that I kept my old one in the trunk floor, and while that didn't have a battery (it had to be plugged into the 12v), I had no issues with it from a temperature perspective over the ~3 years I had it in the trunk floor.

I suppose I could look for a thermal case to help regulate the temperature of it while stored, but I'll have to research that at some point.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just bought some Dewalt Air small tire inflator compressors. But that’s for use at the track and at my home.
Just wondering what’s wrong with the OEM air Compressor pump to fill tires up that are low more if you have a flat? That is the air compressor I am depending on if I have an emergency. I also carry a tire plug kit.
Why not just use the OEM one?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
692 Posts
I just bought some Dewalt Air small tire inflator compressors. But that’s for use at the track and at my home.
Just wondering what’s wrong with the OEM air Compressor pump to fill tires up that are low more if you have a flat? That is the air compressor I am depending on if I have an emergency. I also carry a tire plug kit.
You know, I was just about to say the same thing. Am I the only one that got a tire inflator with my car? The OEM ones work great and they're already in the trunk....

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
You know, I was just about to say the same thing. Am I the only one that got a tire inflator with my car? The OEM ones work great and they're already in the trunk....
I thought that was a patch kit they provided. I need to have another look at it.
But if it's not digital or cordless, then I prefer my new one.

I'll go check tonight

41 - 60 of 74 Posts