Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey all,

I went to fill my tires today at the petrol station and not only did my hands freeze in the -20F weather but also the gauge filled my tire to 55 psi even when I told it 35..so that’s enough of that. Half the time it’s not in working order any how.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent air compressor for filling tires. I don’t want it to be portable as the ones that plug inside your car take forever to fill. This would solely be for filling tires in my garage so one that plugs into the wall is fine.

Thanks!
Use a high volume (not high pressure) bike pump, I use this one

These tires are so skinny that just a few pumps adds 2-3 PSI

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
An aside for anyone not familiar with bicycle pumps: I have yet to find a bicycle pump with a semi-accurate gauge. I believe that the issue is that the gauge is reading the peak pressure that was needed to push the air into the tire rather than the final pressure in the tire.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I just use a track style bicycle pump and a pencil pressure gauge. After accounting for the effort to string a power cord to a compressor, it is not really slower to use the manual pump.
Yes guys try this. I was surprised how easy a large bike pump was to pump these tyres. Probably about 8 pumps gives 2 psi

·
Registered
89 Posts
An aside for anyone not familiar with bicycle pumps: I have yet to find a bicycle pump with a semi-accurate gauge. I believe that the issue is that the gauge is reading the peak pressure that was needed to push the air into the tire rather than the final pressure in the tire.
I over inflate like 1-2psi then use a good digital gauge with a bleeder valve to lower it to the desired pressure.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I over inflate like 1-2psi then use a good digital gauge with a bleeder valve to lower it to the desired pressure.
Many pumps can preset a pressure value and automatically stops when it reaches that pressure. Even my cheap 15 year-old pump has it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just use a track style bicycle pump and a pencil pressure gauge. After accounting for the effort to string a power cord to a compressor, it is not really slower to use the manual pump.
I also do the same. 15 - 20 pumps adds 1-2 psi air pressure to the tire. It only takes couple minutes for all 4 tires. It would take longer to unroll the extension cord take out the compressor and put everything back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey all,

I went to fill my tires today at the petrol station and not only did my hands freeze in the -20F weather but also the gauge filled my tire to 55 psi even when I told it 35..so that’s enough of that. Half the time it’s not in working order any how.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent air compressor for filling tires. I don’t want it to be portable as the ones that plug inside your car take forever to fill. This would solely be for filling tires in my garage so one that plugs into the wall is fine.

Thanks!
Harbor Freight has a couple of options under $50. More importantly invest in a digital gauge that connects to the compressor. Very precise and you’ll always have proper tire pressure and warm hands.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,263 Posts
It's currently unavailable but this is what I bought. It's only 4 square inches so it fits in the trunk under the floor. I haven't been able to find anything this small to fit under the trunk floor

SUAOKI DC 12V Portable Mini Air Compressor Tire Inflator - 3 Nozzle Adaptors, 4'' Air Hose, 9.84ft Cord with Cigarette Plug, Pump to 120 PSI for Tires, Balls and Inflatable Objects, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6GQJH...abc_WMMN6R2R5SSP5B0SW6B2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,568 Posts
Harbor Freight has a couple of options under $50. More importantly invest in a digital gauge that connects to the compressor. Very precise and you’ll always have proper tire pressure and warm hands.
I bought my little pancake on sale a few years ago and got a good hose and chuck to go with it. It can be filled and then carried/carted to wherever it's needed. And I like that it's red.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,263 Posts
I am looking at getting rid of my spare tire and I will need to keep an air compressor in the car.

I might get the one you recommended.

Thanks
Where in the car would you keep it? It's pretty big. The one I have is 3x4 inches so it fits under the floor of the trunk

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The small HF pump fits in the cut-out under the trunk mat.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Aerostitch makes a tiny pump that works great...I have one under ther seat of my motorcycle...it gets hot as hell but it gets the job done and takes up very little space...you could keep it in the underfloor space in the trunk or even in the center console

21 - 40 of 74 Posts