Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I went to fill my tires today at the petrol station and not only did my hands freeze in the -20F weather but also the gauge filled my tire to 55 psi even when I told it 35..so that’s enough of that. Half the time it’s not in working order any how.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent air compressor for filling tires. I don’t want it to be portable as the ones that plug inside your car take forever to fill. This would solely be for filling tires in my garage so one that plugs into the wall is fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,994 Posts
there are portable ones that dont need to be powered by the car - they have a rechargeable battery

i have an Air Hawk Pro and it works exactly to what i set it to, perfect and accurate for a quick top up

this has been a paid commercial presentation brought to you by Papa Gallo Inc

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Ryobi version works well but was too rich for my blood by the time you buy batteries. I ended up buying a knock off and the lithium versions are basically a drill housing turned air compressor. I will only get about four tire top offs from one charge but love the convenience of being able to keep in the car and it doesn’t take forever to fill them a few PS. Sounds like you may want something a little more heavy duty, but these are definitely a step up from the dinky DC adapter ones.

Ryobi P737 18-Volt ONE+ Portable Cordless Power Inflator for Tires (Battery Not Included, Power Tool Only) Amazon.com: Ryobi P737 18-Volt ONE+ Portable Cordless Power Inflator for Tires (Battery Not Included, Power Tool Only): Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q4
107 Posts
Hey all,

I went to fill my tires today at the petrol station and not only did my hands freeze in the -20F weather but also the gauge filled my tire to 55 psi even when I told it 35..so that’s enough of that. Half the time it’s not in working order any how.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent air compressor for filling tires. I don’t want it to be portable as the ones that plug inside your car take forever to fill. This would solely be for filling tires in my garage so one that plugs into the wall is fine.

Thanks!
I have an older version of this. Nice to have the long air cord and you can use it for nail guns, inflating anything, and using high pressure air stream for cleaning hard to reach places... Just takes a couple minutes to fill the tank. I like the versatility and it’s reasonably priced.

CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor, 6 Gallon, Pancake, Oil-Free with 13 Piece Accessory Kit (CMEC6150K) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KHHDJG...abc_V2FV0E1Z8F25Y4MW795K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
166 Posts
The makita quiet line of compressors is pretty nice. I also have a portable one (can’t remember the brand) as well that plugs to ports under the hood. I think it inflates roughly 1 PSI/second. Plenty quick if you ask me.

Invest in a nice guage. I really like my Jaco ElitePro digital guage. It’s more accurate than the gauge on the compressor and very consistent. Definitely worth $20 to get an exact reading. I usually adjust my pressure once a month as the temperatures start to change.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I just use a track style bicycle pump and a pencil pressure gauge. After accounting for the effort to string a power cord to a compressor, it is not really slower to use the manual pump.

Reactions: Alfa-Male

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have this one, and it works pretty well. With Sears going out of business in many places, you may be able to find a good deal on one.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
there are portable ones that dont need to be powered by the car - they have a rechargeable battery

i have an Air Hawk Pro and it works exactly to what i set it to, perfect and accurate for a quick top up

this has been a paid commercial presentation brought to you by Papa Gallo Inc
I have the air hawk. Works great. I second that idea

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,263 Posts
The one I have is no longer available on Amazon but isn't the idea to have a portable one that's small enough to fit in the car in case you have an issue away from home?

Case in point, 2 months I parked my car in Manhattan and when I came back a few hours later to drive home, I got a tpms warning and had to inflate my tires there and then.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The one I have is no longer available on Amazon but isn't the idea to have a portable one that's small enough to fit in the car in case you have an issue away from home?

Case in point, 2 months I parked my car in Manhattan and when I came back a few hours later to drive home, I got a tpms warning and had to inflate my tires there and then.
just spin em. They’ll heat up lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had the Dewalt portable inflator for a good long while and it's hard to beat. Also blows up our huge inflatable kayaks in no time. If you have existing Dewalt tools and batteries, I recommend it.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
After reading these posts I just ordered this Ryobi as I already have a bunch of their tools and batteries. I have a plug in (120V) compressor with tank, but it’s such a PITA to drag out and wait around while the tank fills, I decided I needed this!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
After reading these posts I just ordered this Ryobi as I already have a bunch of their tools and batteries. I have a plug in (120V) compressor with tank, but it’s such a PITA to drag out and wait around while the tank fills, I decided I needed this!

Friend of mine has that pump so I borrowed it from him at track after runs. Works good.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone! Loving the variation - sounds like I can’t go wrong but need to spend a little money for a bit of quality. I’ve warmed up to the idea of a battery powered one similar to a drill so might check out the Ryobi since they have a good reputation. I kept finding the 12v car plug compressors and didn’t like the idea of having to climb over the seat having a wire come out the door/window and having very little power..as well as maybe pull from the battery. First world problems I guess 😂 One day I’ll upgrade to a full-size compressor to use for taking wheels off but have still done alright with a classic lug wrench..

·
Registered
2019 Gulia QV
36 Posts
I have an older version of this. Nice to have the long air cord and you can use it for nail guns, inflating anything, and using high pressure air stream for cleaning hard to reach places... Just takes a couple minutes to fill the tank. I like the versatility and it’s reasonably priced.

CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor, 6 Gallon, Pancake, Oil-Free with 13 Piece Accessory Kit (CMEC6150K) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KHHDJG...abc_V2FV0E1Z8F25Y4MW795K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I also have one like this and its a good little compressor that doesn't take up a bunch of space.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have an air compressor in my garage but I also have a travel DC air pump from Amazon for when I take the SUV to the beach and let the pressure out of the tires to drive in the sand.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Thanks everyone! Loving the variation - sounds like I can’t go wrong but need to spend a little money for a bit of quality. I’ve warmed up to the idea of a battery powered one similar to a drill so might check out the Ryobi since they have a good reputation. I kept finding the 12v car plug compressors and didn’t like the idea of having to climb over the seat having a wire come out the door/window and having very little power..as well as maybe pull from the battery. First world problems I guess 😂 One day I’ll upgrade to a full-size compressor to use for taking wheels off but have still done alright with a classic lug wrench..
most of the cordless ones like air hawk have two set ups. One with battery and one with 12v of battery is dead.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I bought one from the dollar tree (for 5$) like 15 years ago. Plugs into the cig lighter and still works great. I can't find a pic of it cause they probably don't make them anymore, but it has served me well!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts