Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,789 Posts
Yeah Ive seen the OZ ones, not the greatest designs.
Agreed. I need winter wheels and will be unhappy if I have to pay a lot of money for something I don't like. Maybe I should check Mopar?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
What wheels are out there? Options seems pretty empty for the 5x110.
OZ, Fuchs (Germany, the OEM supplier of the QV Tecnico rims), and custom. The Fuchs wheels seem to be the lightest aluminum wheels for Giulia on the market (6 pounds per wheel lighter than the 5 holes), but not cheap at $5400 for a set (MSRP).

There are two mfgs of carbon fiber rims that will custom cut the hub to fit, but very pricey at about $12,000 for a set. About 8 pounds per wheel lighter than Fuchs or 14 pounds per wheel lighter than 5 holes.

OTOH, the CF rims will likely take a tenth or two off of 0 to 60MPH times, as well as improve cornering, improve fuel economy in town and improve ride quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think there is a market for one piece forged wheels? I think I can get something made for about $1000/per wheel which would be over 8lbs lighter than stock, depending on the design.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
Do you think there is a market for one piece forged wheels? I think I can get something made for about $1000/per wheel which would be over 8lbs lighter than stock, depending on the design.
"It depends". The 19x8 5 holes weigh about 25 pounds each. What do you think the forged wheels would weigh?
The Fuchs wheels are forged with 19x8.5 weighing about 19.25 pounds and 19x10 weighing about 20.25 pounds. IIRC, $1250 for 19x8.5 and $1450 for 19x10, MSRP. Significant discounts are possible, although it would still probably be over $1000/wheel for the 19x8.5s. From what I can tell the Fuchs weights are highly competitive amongst aluminum road capable wheels.

Another important factor is strength. "Anybody" can make a light weight wheel, the issue is if they can make a light weight wheel that is strong enough to not bend at the first pothole it encounters. Since AR selected Fuchs as OEM supplier for the QV I presume that those wheels are strong enough for the lighter weight Q4. The CF wheel manufacturers are a bit coy about the strength of their wheels, making me a bit leery: "the CF we use is several times stronger by weight than the aluminum used in other wheels" doesn't say squat about the actual strength of the wheel. CF can also have problems with heat from the brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts