Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to see my friend's gt350 this past weekend and he said he was looking into buying the gurney flap for it which will increase the downforce and handling; $500 and it installs with 4 screws!

I'm wondering if anything like that exists for the qv. I know there's the gtam replica wing but I don't like the look of it nor do we know how functional it is. I like the look of the gta non m spoiler but haven't seen that for sale, and don't know how much better it would be over a regular qv spoiler.

I know one member in the forum installed a giant wing on their qv, but don't remember who/which post, or if that upsets the balance of the car.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A lot of wind tunnel is necessary to design a spoiler which actually works, unless one has a place to run at top speed. Modern high performance cars (in my opinion) are already designed with rear diffusers and undercarriage panels and spoilers to ensure stability at Autobahn speeds. I remember years ago, when the "cute" Audi TT cars first came out, they added a rear spoiler to reduce lift at German speeds. I doubt any spoiler does anything at legal speeds in this country. But some sure look cool. Others, not so much...

NV

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
524 Posts
The rear spoiler on the QV is very much like a gurney flap in that it stands upward. While no one makes it you could add additional material to it pointing up to have the same effect. That said it probably wouldn't look nice and I'm not sure of your goal. Adding a gurney will do 0 for you on surface street speeds, so unless you're running from the cops often you're just adding extra drag that won't exactly help you. If you were racing it on the track I could see it sure. The car is stable to 200mph as per testing by Alfa, adding a gurney flap you're adding a solution looking for a problem.

Your friend is overestimating what that gurney flap will do for him on the street, other than drag his fuel mileage down.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,996 Posts
A lot of wind tunnel is necessary to design a spoiler which actually works, unless one has a place to run at top speed. Modern high performance cars (in my opinion) are already designed with rear diffusers and undercarriage panels and spoilers to ensure stability at Autobahn speeds. I remember years ago, when the "cute" Audi TT cars first came out, they added a rear spoiler to reduce lift at German speeds. I doubt any spoiler does anything at legal speeds in this country. But some sure look cool. Others, not so much...

NV
Yep, I'm with you there NAM VET. Very little will have an affect on downforce or drag below 60/70 MPH, and there may be very little that even the QV spoiler has on downforce. The roof wash may completely miss hitting the spoiler, thus the reason the GTAm raised it 10 or so inches.

Reactions: Avnyc11

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All valid points. I suppose everything can be made better, why after market parts exist, so I was wondering if there was room for improvement here, but it doesn't seem like much useful gain, or certainly daily driving trade offs. And I wouldn't want to sacrifice the look of such a beautiful car

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I know this thread is old, but found it because I'm actually looking to increase downforce for my QV at the track. The car feels a little "light" through the corners at Road Atlanta... especially the esses and down the hill into T12.

Was wondering if the GTAm front splitter and rear spoiler would fit our cars, and if so, is there a way to even get the parts here in the USA?

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this thread is old, but found it because I'm actually looking to increase downforce for my QV at the track. The car feels a little "light" through the corners at Road Atlanta... especially the esses and down the hill into T12.

Was wondering if the GTAm front splitter and rear spoiler would fit our cars, and if so, is there a way to even get the parts here in the USA?
A few vendors sell them. Alfa9supply, koshi, and I think alfissimo too

Reactions: genyosai

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No comparison, if you are local feel free to contact me for a test drive.
I'm in the Los Angeles area. Just DM me.
Peter.
Thanks for the offer but I'm all the way on the other coast. I will settle for more pictures if you have any

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,742 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: genyosai

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks, But literally just last week @Alfissimo finished showing me a very nice solution for canards to fit the Giulia QV.

For added down-force in the rear I'll go with the Giulia GTA rear spoiler. It's more aggressive than the stock QV, yet way more subtle than than this and should suffice for what I'm doing on track.
Have you considered the Racing Edition rear spoiler that @Alfissimo has available. I think that my be a better solution and is available now(or very soon). Just my opinion but I think the GTA spoiler is just a bit much on a QV.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Have you considered the Racing Edition rear spoiler that @Alfissimo has available. I think that my be a better solution and is available now(or very soon). Just my opinion but I think the GTA spoiler is just a bit much on a QV.
I am referring to Alfissimo's Giulia GTA racing spoiler. Perhaps you're thinking of the GTAm spoiler which also imo is a bit much.

Here's the Giulia GTA spoiler that I'm getting:
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am referring to Alfissimo's Giulia GTA racing spoiler. Perhaps you're thinking of the GTAm spoiler which also imo is a bit much.
No. There are various spoilers across the models. I believe what @Alfissimo is offering is the Racing Edition. It is quite a bit larger than OEM QV, but not as aggressive as what is on the GTA.

The GTA spoiler is quite a bit larger. (I'm not talking about the GTAm version which is another whole thing entirely)

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
No. There are various spoilers across the models. I believe what @Alfissimo is offering is the Racing Edition. It is quite a bit larger than OEM QV, but not as aggressive as what is on the GTA.

The GTA spoiler is quite a bit larger. (I'm not talking about the GTAm version which is another whole thing entirely)
Interesting, because the photo I shared is the photo that Alfissimo sent to me when suggesting the GTA racing spoiler.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts