Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Ponch,
My unit is freezing a lot at the moment and support from Kremer is non existent. I think using different firmware is my only way out as I don't have the password to download new roms on their website. Is your eng custom rom still working well?
Oh wow, frustrating obviously these guys aren't honouring their warranty.

I have been using the eng customs rom for a while and it's been pretty stable and added WiFi. Have you checked the wiring that is, the plugs are in no bent pins etc? There are dip switches that sets the screen size aswell may pay to check that aswell.

Upgrade is simple, keep the car on. Plug in the USB, once finished restart the whole thing. The password is 1234 for the Kremer one, just checked it looks like they haven't updated it.

Apologies for what's happened, I haven't had many problems with it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh I did have issues where the phone would drop AA, I changed the cable and it's ok now, on occasion it'll drop AA but reconnects straight away. However, haven't had any spontaneous resets.

The infotainment had reset itself once or twice but on really hot days.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh I did have issues where the phone would drop AA, I changed the cable and it's ok now, on occasion it'll drop AA but reconnects straight away. However, haven't had any spontaneous resets.

The infotainment had reset itself once or twice but on really hot days.
I have been running AA wireless over the last week and no issues, but it does this usually after it resets so not getting excited. I haven't checked the wiring which could be my next option after flashing to ENG. Thanks for the advice and no need to apologise, always the risk when going for a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure if this post is still alive. I also have been using the Kremsino AA and so far so good for that last 8 months. I bought another 40 Pin Fakra Connector and installed the Kicker Key 200.4 and replaced the interior speakers (I have base speakers). Were you able to find a suitable AUX microphone to use with the module so it doesn't sound like shyt.

I'm not sure where i went wrong but my Alfa microphone isn't working. Seems to be the original factory harness where the issues lies back I can't track it down. Pin doesn't look bent and before if I shook the cable or squeezed it, it would come on but no luck anymore.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
9 Posts
Hi folks. I'm in Newcastle NSW and I've just bought a late 2017 build QV (replacing my Launch edition 4C). This is my first post on the forum. I'm looking to install an aftermarket Apple Carplay unit. From what I can gather from the various forum threads the ENG-CUSTOM and Kremer units seem to very similar (at least onn the inside), but the ENG-CUSTOM after sales support might be a bit better. I can buy the Kremer unit for around half the price of the ENG-CUSTOM unit, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any compelling reason to go for the ENG-CUSTOM unit over the Kremer unit given the price difference. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have the Kremer version and updated it with an EngCustoms to get wireless AA. I have contacted Kremer but no reply so there's that they don't service customers that well. Totally up to you but I have had a good experience with the unit and did risk it on playing around with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks. I'm in Newcastle NSW and I've just bought a late 2017 build QV (replacing my Launch edition 4C). This is my first post on the forum. I'm looking to install an aftermarket Apple Carplay unit. From what I can gather from the various forum threads the ENG-CUSTOM and Kremer units seem to very similar (at least onn the inside), but the ENG-CUSTOM after sales support might be a bit better. I can buy the Kremer unit for around half the price of the ENG-CUSTOM unit, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any compelling reason to go for the ENG-CUSTOM unit over the Kremer unit given the price difference. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I bought the Kremer unit less than 6 months ago and it came with wireless AA and works fine. The one thing to look out for is when the unit arrived, the language was set to Chinese and you’ll need to change it to English. Everything else set-up wise was straight forward.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
9 Posts
Thanks Ponch and Phuccie. I've taken the plunge and spent the extra money to get the unit from ENG-CUSTOM. Their correspondence prior to purchasing has been good, so I'm hoping that translates to decent after sales service if ever needed. It's probably unecessary additional cost based on your good experiences with the Kremer unit, but we'll see how it goes. I'll provide feedback once I receive it and get it installed.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
9 Posts
I want to order that one too but their site always says preorder.
That was the case when I was looking too, but I emailed them and asked about availability and they emailed me back the link to the item on their website and it was suddenly available, so I ordered. But I just checked and it's back to 'pre-order' again now...

Hopefully they didn't just send me a used defective one!! (Just kidding!)

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
9 Posts
Installed my ENG-CUSTOM unit on the weekend. It all seems to be working perfectly so far, both wired and wirelessly, and using the OEM mic. It was very much plug and play. I found the most difficult part of the install to be fitting the Carplay unit and additional wiring back into the fairly tight space where the OEM head unit is, behind the little storage compartment near the driiver's knee .

I'm really happy with this mod. It's so good being able to use Google Maps with Siri now instead of the Alfa nav system. :)

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
71 Posts
Installed my ENG-CUSTOM unit on the weekend. It all seems to be working perfectly so far, both wired and wirelessly, and using the OEM mic. It was very much plug and play. I found the most difficult part of the install to be fitting the Carplay unit and additional wiring back into the fairly tight space where the OEM head unit is, behind the little storage compartment near the driiver's knee .

I'm really happy with this mod. It's so good being able to use Google Maps with Siri now instead of the Alfa nav system. :)
I finally managed to order one. Did it take long to ship?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
71 Posts
Plant Automotive design Steering part Motor vehicle Mode of transport
So I’ve installed mine. Moderate difficulty. I had a question. When using the wireless apple CarPlay, I connected through wifi, this disconnects me from my regular Wi-Fi. Is this the proper connection or is it just through Bluetooth? I’ve been using it hardwired for now so I don’t disconnect from my regular Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
9 Posts
When using the wireless apple CarPlay, I connected through wifi, this disconnects me from my regular Wi-Fi. Is this the proper connection or is it just through Bluetooth?
I've been using the bluetooth connection, which seems to work fine.

The only issue I've noticed with the whole setup is that the sound quality when playing music via Carplay seems to be worse than with the Alfa system, whether via Bluetooh or wired connection. It just sounds a bit 'crackly'. But I need to do a back to back comparison with the Alfa system - maybe the sound quality was the same (not very good!) through the Alfa system. I don't listen to music much in the car anyway - prefer to listen to the exhaust sounds.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
71 Posts
Have you gone into the settings and turned the volume done a little under 100%? I had the crackling problem to but I knew what to do since it wasn’t my first “android” style radio.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts