Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
101 - 120 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I used TomTom Amigo for a little while wasn't bad. There is Tom Tom Go which apparently works ok and you get map upgrades (oh the irony!). But at the moment happy with Google Maps
Waze is a licence saver though, it's on constantly alerting of those pesky hidden speed cameras.
I like the AmiGO interface, not too dissimilar to the built in nav, very clean and clear.
Google maps seems to function best though, especially in tunnels, where the others get lost. Plus you can have Google maps still show up on the smaller portion of the screen if you use the the big one for music

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Ponch,
How did you go about extending the USB plug into the arm rest? Don't want to bypass that one as it keeps everything need and concealed.
I purchased a dash mount USB cable from eBay

Removed the bottom tray under the steering wheel and the USB power socket panel inside the console using plastic dashboard tools. There are two tabs that hold it all in place just push down and the cover just pops out.

Removed the plug to the power socket and the USB hub as one unit.

I used some plastic coated wire with some stiffness and threaded it on the right hand side towards the front with a VERY light touch making sure it doesn't sit on top of the tunnel.

With the cable I cut a small hole to accommodate the plug, used a hot box cutter blade to cut the plastic. Threaded the cable and attached it to the guide cable placed previously and carefully thread it through. It may push some small amount of insulation. Place the cables back on the power socket and USB hub snap the cover back on. Attach the other end of the USB cable to the unit etc etc. Test, check everything crack open a beer.
Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Auto part Vehicle door Automotive design

Vehicle Door Vehicle door Fixture Automotive exterior

I used to install Doof Doof machines back in the day. Next are some JBL speakers just waiting for a pay day!

There are some documents here in the forum that show how to remove the console.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Removed the bottom tray under the steering wheel and the USB power socket panel inside the console using plastic dashboard tools. There are two tabs that hold it all in place just push down and the cover just pops out.

I used some plastic coated wire with some stiffness and threaded it on the right hand side towards the front with a VERY light touch making sure it doesn't sit on top of the tunnel.

With the cable I cut a small hole to accommodate the plug, used a hot box cutter blade to cut the plastic. Threaded the cable and attached it to the guide cable placed previously and carefully thread it through. It may push some small amount of insulation. Place the cables back on the power socket and USB hub snap the cover back on. Attach the other end of the USB cable to the unit etc etc. Test, check everything crack open a beer. View attachment 117697

View attachment 117698

I used to install Doof Doof machines back in the day. Next are some JBL speakers just waiting for a pay day!

Looks good thanks for the advice mate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I chose the 1m as then the USB plug can be reached if need to disconnect it. 30cm would leave it inside the tunnel.
All done Ponch came out nicely. Decided not to bother with flush mount as it does wireless AA & ACP.
One question I have is with having my wife's phone and mine installed, do you need to turn off the auto connect option in the Bluetooth settings? I can only get it working by choosing the device manually as it does nothing in auto.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hey @zac-ster good to hear, easy install tbh. For wireless it needs to use it's own BT to authenticate your phone before it uses WiFi to send the image to the screen on the car. If you go to the BT settings on the unit I think there is an auto connect option. What I found that if both the unit and Alfa connect are on I don't get any audio on phone calls.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey @zac-ster good to hear, easy install tbh. For wireless it needs to use it's own BT to authenticate your phone before it uses WiFi to send the image to the screen on the car. If you go to the BT settings on the unit I think there is an auto connect option. What I found that if both the unit and Alfa connect are on I don't get any audio on phone calls.
I found a fix for that, if a phone call comes in, prior to answering it hold the menu button to go to the stock interface, then answer the call. Dialling out isn't a problem with AA running, only receiving calls seems to confuse things.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I found a fix for that, if a phone call comes in, prior to answering it hold the menu button to go to the stock interface, then answer the call. Dialling out isn't a problem with AA running, only receiving calls seems to confuse things.

With the cable I cut a small hole to accommodate the plug, used a hot box cutter blade to cut the plastic. Threaded the cable and attached it to the guide cable placed previously and carefully thread it through. It may push some small amount of insulation. Place the cables back on the power socket and USB hub snap the cover back on. Attach the other end of the USB cable to the unit etc etc. Test, check everything crack open a beer. View attachment 117697

View attachment 117698

Hi Ponch,

Getting issues with Apple carplay not being able to hear people when making or receiving calls, any idea how to fix ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi @zac-ster I had the same issue with Android Auto check that the phone is not paired to both the car and the unit.

If you are using wireless the unit uses it's Bluetooth to authenticate to the WiFi so best to disable the Alfa One.

When I had the cable, I just disabled the units BT on my phone and used the Alfa BT. Hope that helps.

NB: what I meant by disable was don't get the phone to auto connect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Getting issues with Apple carplay not being able to hear people when making or receiving calls, any idea how to fix ?
Just delete Bluetooth profile from alfa system and phone, just use AA or AC wirelessly , should work flawlessly. Basically just use the new system for everything otherwise will change input automatically from AUX when you get a call through thats why you cant hear anything

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just delete Bluetooth profile from alfa system and phone, just use AA or AC wirelessly , should work flawlessly. Basically just use the new system for everything otherwise will change input automatically from AUX when you get a call through thats why you cant hear anything
Thanks George all working.
Now my box keeps freezing all the time and I need to turn off the car and start again. Any advice on how to fix it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine does on occasion and it happens when I make a few changes fairly quickly but it runs 99% of the time. However, I use Android Auto so can't really say what happens with CarPlay.
I use Android Auto as well and it's worked ok until last week, hasn't been os updates with my phone either. Contacting the manufacturer as it's happening a bit too often now for my liking.

101 - 120 of 164 Posts