21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,857 Posts

·
Vendor
4,495 Posts
I will reiterate my earlier comments - avoid EBC like the plague if you consider yourself a serious driver. If you just pootle around then just buy OEM which are far better than anything EBC make. In 16 years of racing I don’t know if anyone who used EBC for more than a few laps. I would actually go as far as to say they are dangerous ie the discs will crack or warp and pads crumble.
Before we go further with the bashing, what Rotor, pad combo were you using and what vehicle was this used on? You accumulated that much rust in the UK over 3 weeks? Also what year did this take place? Not sure I remember when or if EBC made Slotted and FULLY drilled rotors. I am fairly positive they never did. They have not made rotors that long. I know they make slotted and dimpled but not fully drilled.

I can say without a doubt this is not the case with any EBC Yellow or Blue pads we have used. We don't offer the EBC rotors and when we did, they were solid replacements that are very good. All the EBC pads are mainly for street to occasional track use. Full racing is not what they are made for. I would not even fathom the thought and point to something else for that kind of use like Brembo Slotted and Porterfield Pads. That said, I have had many customers use Bluestuff and Yellowstuff on the track with great results using OEM rotors. I am just not seeing where this is coming from. I have sold EBC since the early 2000's with no issues, they are fore sure better now than they were back in those days.

·
Vendor
195 Posts
I will try to address all of the above issues, we are here as a vendor to help the community and to rectify any issues with our products whilst providing insight and information on our product offering. Feedback is always welcome as it gives us an idea of the market and what is needed to be addressed.

@Hooch500 I'm sorry to say but you must have been mis-sold by an illegitimate supplier, as these are not our rotors. We do not supply fully drilled rotors and looking at the image the drill pattern does not match any of ours, so I do not believe they are from us. We specifically recommend AGAINST fully drilled rotors for this exact reason.
With all due respect, we have many teams that race in very established race series who use both pads and rotors from us without these issues and many who go on to podium the championships and praise our product, so excuse me if I am a bit taken aback from your comments and photo. Please remove your comment as it is defamatory against our company.
Can you please share with us where you purchased the rotors, the part number and a photo of the entire rotor?
Reasons these are not ours;
These are clearly not the same disc. (Left is our GD Disc, Right is your damaged NON EBC disc)
Automotive tire Plant Sleeve Rim Pattern

@JeFizz , uneven deposits can often be from not fully bedding before going hard/ tracking, did you follow the bedding procedure as per our website? How To Bed-In Your EBC Brakes For Street Or Track Use - EBC Brakes

@beta2alfa , if there was noise without the brake pedal being used, it is likely not the pad that’s the real issue. It is more likely to be caliper dragging which a clean up of the sliders & check of seals is necessary, a general service of the caliper may be needed

@lockem , we apologise if the shims were not included, they should have been, we will gladly send you a replacement set if they were not. Pins can be cleaned and reused.

As @The_Dude suggested and our website clearly states, Bluestuff are the minimum for track. We also offer RP-Series track only pads.
@Alfissimo you are correct we have sold out twice of our Giulia rotors due to high popularity, but a new batch is underway from our Italian foundry

·
Registered
18, Ti Lusso
23 Posts
Made a post about this a few months ago trying to aggregate the data all over the forums. I’ll update it in the near future with more knowledge I’ve collected over the months.

I got Portfield R4-S pads and I’ll be getting R1 Concepts E-line. R4-S are not recommended to put used with CCM rotors (found out on an estranged BMW/Mercedes Portfield page). R1 has a massive parts shortage. Got front rotors but rear are back ordered. I was waiting for the Geomet for 6 months before I gave up. Purchased rotors from Maddness. Pads from Alfissimo.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,857 Posts
I will try to address all of the above issues, we are here as a vendor to help the community and to rectify any issues with our products whilst providing insight and information on our product offering. Feedback is always welcome as it gives us an idea of the market and what is needed to be addressed.

@JeFizz , uneven deposits can often be from not fully bedding before going hard/ tracking, did you follow the bedding procedure as per our website? How To Bed-In Your EBC Brakes For Street Or Track Use - EBC Brakes
Yes, I always follow bedding procedures. If it was only an issue for me one time, I wouldn't think anything of it, but this is a second set now that has done this to me.

Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Vendor
4,495 Posts
Made a post about this a few months ago trying to aggregate the data all over the forums. I’ll update it in the near future with more knowledge I’ve collected over the months.

I got Portfield R4-S pads and I’ll be getting R1 Concepts E-line. R4-S are not recommended to put used with CCM rotors (found out on an estranged BMW/Mercedes Portfield page). R1 has a massive parts shortage. Got front rotors but rear are back ordered. I was waiting for the Geomet for 6 months before I gave up. Purchased rotors from Maddness. Pads from Alfissimo.

I am little confused by this.

"R4-S are not recommended to put used with CCM rotors (found out on an estranged BMW/Mercedes Portfield page)"
?

R4S is not a CCM pad. Made for steel rotors. I notice you have a 18' ti. that never came with CCM rotors did you retro fit CCM rotors/Rear hub on your Ti sport. Also thanks for the purchase but can you clarify your post as I am not sure about what you may be talking about.

·
Registered
628 Posts

@Hooch500 I'm sorry to say but you must have been mis-sold by an illegitimate supplier, as these are not our rotors. We do not supply fully drilled rotors and looking at the image the drill pattern does not match any of ours, so I do not believe they are from us. We specifically recommend AGAINST fully drilled rotors for this exact reason.
With all due respect, we have many teams that race in very established race series who use both pads and rotors from us without these issues and many who go on to podium the championships and praise our product, so excuse me if I am a bit taken aback from your comments and photo. Please remove your comment as it is defamatory against our company.
Can you please share with us where you purchased the rotors, the part number and a photo of the entire rotor?
Reasons these are not ours;
These are clearly not the same disc. (Left is our GD Disc, Right is your damaged NON EBC disc)
View attachment 132980

@beta2alfa , if there was noise without the brake pedal being used, it is likely not the pad that’s the real issue. It is more likely to be caliper dragging which a clean up of the sliders & check of seals is necessary, a general service of the caliper may be needed

@lockem , we apologise if the shims were not included, they should have been, we will gladly send you a replacement set if they were not. Pins can be cleaned and reused.

As @The_Dude suggested and our website clearly states, Bluestuff are the minimum for track. We also offer RP-Series track only pads.
@Alfissimo you are correct we have sold out twice of our Giulia rotors due to high popularity, but a new batch is underway from our Italian foundry
I used the EBC reds in the back and they are fine now, calipers were checked at dealership they said it was the pads.

·
Vendor
4,495 Posts
I used the EBC reds in the back and they are fine now, calipers were checked at dealership they said it was the pads.
Dealer blaming aftermarket pads? Shocking. ;)

·
Registered
18, Ti Lusso
23 Posts
I am little confused by this.

"R4-S are not recommended to put used with CCM rotors (found out on an estranged BMW/Mercedes Portfield page)"
?

R4S is not a CCM pad. Made for steel rotors. I notice you have a 18' ti. that never came with CCM rotors did you retro fit CCM rotors/Rear hub on your Ti sport. Also thanks for the purchase but can you clarify your post as I am not sure about what you may be talking about.
I was thinking about putting CCM rotors on until I found out that it was not recommended.

·
Vendor
4,495 Posts
Then why are my Reds now working perfectly fine when the Yellows in the rear were making noise? It was obviously the pads. Floating calipers with a pad that has a very aggressive initial bite.
No mention of Yellows...

"I used the EBC reds in the back and they are fine now, calipers were checked at dealership they said it was the pads."

Most likely the reds removed pad residue that was causing noise.

Any pad can make noise if not bedded properly. There are so many factors for pads making noise.

I went back through this post and found this statement:

I have the Yellows on the front of my Giulia 2.0 Q4 right now and RED Stuff on the rear, NAPA coated rotors on the front and Centerline Alfa coated rotors on the rear, so far they work great but with a crap ton of brake dust. I originally had yellows in the rear as well as the front and they would screech all of the time, even while driving at low speeds when NOT touching the brake pedal, tried everything to get the rears to stop making noise, I caved and put EBC Red Stuff on the rears, now they are silent. The grip on these are absolutely insane, I'm talking triple digit speeds with very hard braking all the way down to almost a dead stop while ABS is being activated, like it or not that's how I drive this car. You think the Power Stop Z23 can hold up to that abuse? The stock pads would glaze the rotors causing them to pulse really bad, and eventually re-bedding them no longer would fix the problem. The Yellow Stuff doesn't seem to have that problem for me. Anyways just wondering what's your opinion?
P.S. The Brake Pad Wire on the EBC brake pads fall out of the brake pad friction material, only after a few uses, not expecting these to hold up for long, I have about 4k miles on them so far and I'm almost half way down, by the way it looks these will be shot by the end of the year.

Again sounds like brake residue on the rotor and most likely the more aggressive red compound remove that. Otherwise you may have glazed the pads. Yellow stuff work fine as you have no issues with fronts being yellow. Again, I don't think it's the pads specifically and I am not going to speculate too much on what it was as I have not seen the rotors, pads and seen your bed in method.

I can say without a doubt I have never had a single complaint about EBC and have had repeat purchases from customers.

·
Registered
628 Posts
No mention of Yellows...

"I used the EBC reds in the back and they are fine now, calipers were checked at dealership they said it was the pads."

Most likely the reds removed pad residue that was causing noise.

Any pad can make noise if not bedded properly. There are so many factors for pads making noise.
Yes I followed the bedding procedure exactly as described on EBCs website. I even got ahold support through EBC and they told me to rebedd them, I would and it would last for a few days and the squeaking would come back.
All I'm getting at the yellows didn't work for me in the rears, I would bed them in you could clearly see pad transfer on the discs noise would go away, then a couple days of driving all of the pad transfer would be gone and once the pad transfer was gone the noise would come back while the front would never loose the pad transfer on the rotor. now that I have the reds in the rear the pad transfer is staying on the rotor so no more noise. I'm not BASHING EBC, all I'm saying is Yellows didn't work for me in the rears.

·
Vendor
4,495 Posts
Post #6
"I originally had yellows in the rear as well as the front and they would screech all of the time "
Yes I followed the bedding procedure exactly as described on EBCs website. I even got ahold support through EBC and they told me to rebedd them, I would and it would last for a few days and the squeaking would come back.
See post above

·
Registered
35 Posts
I honestly wish I’d kept the boxes, knackered pads and receipts I’ve had on the few occasions I tried EBC products. However I will NOT forget the time I went for the pedal on a fast road drive only to find I would have been better served dragging my feet, no warning, or gradual fade just bugger all. Yes I followed bedding procedures. On inspection the pads were pulling off the back plates like cake. Lethal. I tend to use CL pads on the road. Mostly Pagid race pads for track work.

As far as racing goes, it’s been a while but during my many years I never knew of anyone who used them for racing, as they were not considered to be a serious product. If that has changed then all I can say is they must have a much better product now.

·
Vendor
195 Posts
I honestly wish I’d kept the boxes, knackered pads and receipts I’ve had on the few occasions I tried EBC products. However I will NOT forget the time I went for the pedal on a fast road drive only to find I would have been better served dragging my feet, no warning, or gradual fade just bugger all. Yes I followed bedding procedures. On inspection the pads were pulling off the back plates like cake. Lethal. I tend to use CL pads on the road. Mostly Pagid race pads for track work.

As far as racing goes, it’s been a while but during my many years I never knew of anyone who used them for racing, as they were not considered to be a serious product. If that has changed then all I can say is they must have a much better product now.
Over the years we have redeveloped time and time again the material compounds to improve braking quality and taken on new manufacturing techniques to better the product, one major one being the NRS backing plate 'hook' technology. Years ago pad de-bonding was an issue that all pad manufacturers would face, and our way to avoid this was to invest in the NRS retention system, by Canadian company NUCAP. Below is an example of these backing plates, and two notable links on NRS and brake pad failures and how to avoid them;
NUCAP NRS Retention System
Brake Pad Failure and How to Avoid It
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Bumper Font Automotive exterior
Font Auto part Automotive tire Metal Rectangle

Since the EBC Brakes Racing division was established 5 years ago we have taken a quantum leap in race and track pad performance and even have a range of fully sintered pads, the SR- Series, similar to CL which are USA Made and we believe perform better.

We have also developed the RP-Series Racing Pads used by many in race championships, and would be delighted to send you a set for your track car front and rear and Rotors also. You have spent good money and deserve to get some decent brakes and even if the rotors you got sold were not ours we will help you out with new ones . We suggest BSD types.

However I am still quite invested in finding out where you bought these rotors that cracked and why they were marketed as EBC Brakes products, if it was an online seller with the title 'EBC Brakes Pads and Rotors' this could be a sneaky way of them selling our pads with cheap rotors, wording it in such a way to make it seem like they are our rotors. If you could point us towards where they were purchased we would like to investigate further, as we will not tolerate people misleading customers and misrepresenting EBC Brakes.

Let me know if you would like to take me up on the offer of track pads to test, and any more info on the seller of these rotors would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Over the years we have redeveloped time and time again the material compounds to improve braking quality and taken on new manufacturing techniques to better the product, one major one being the NRS backing plate 'hook' technology. Years ago pad de-bonding was an issue that all pad manufacturers would face, and our way to avoid this was to invest in the NRS retention system, by Canadian company NUCAP. Below is an example of these backing plates, and two notable links on NRS and brake pad failures and how to avoid them;
NUCAP NRS Retention System
Brake Pad Failure and How to Avoid It
View attachment 133034 View attachment 133033

Since the EBC Brakes Racing division was established 5 years ago we have taken a quantum leap in race and track pad performance and even have a range of fully sintered pads, the SR- Series, similar to CL which are USA Made and we believe perform better.

We have also developed the RP-Series Racing Pads used by many in race championships, and would be delighted to send you a set for your track car front and rear and Rotors also. You have spent good money and deserve to get some decent brakes and even if the rotors you got sold were not ours we will help you out with new ones . We suggest BSD types.

However I am still quite invested in finding out where you bought these rotors that cracked and why they were marketed as EBC Brakes products, if it was an online seller with the title 'EBC Brakes Pads and Rotors' this could be a sneaky way of them selling our pads with cheap rotors, wording it in such a way to make it seem like they are our rotors. If you could point us towards where they were purchased we would like to investigate further, as we will not tolerate people misleading customers and misrepresenting EBC Brakes.

Let me know if you would like to take me up on the offer of track pads to test, and any more info on the seller of these rotors would be much appreciated.
As far as the rotors are concerned they came in EBC boxes. However I don’t see anything like them in your sites so accept they may well have been fakes. I purchased through an online supplier so I will see if I can chase them up.

I sold my race car last year, as I stopped racing in 18 and only did occasional track days. However I’m happy to try some front rotors and pads on my Veloce, though I’m not sure you do them for that model ( 330mm ). I find most road car brakes wanting with the exception of Porsche and Caterhams and the Alfa is no different - the rear oem discs were tripe. Ideally I need pads that will withstand repeated hard brakes without depositing onto the rotor but still work at normal speeds. All I ask from discs is that they don’t warp, crack or rust….

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just to follow up if you want me to review them online I am happy to do so, including pictures of fitment. They would only be used on the road, however my fast road route requires some big brakes sometimes downhill, so it’s a stern test of heat management for the brakes.

·
Vendor
4,495 Posts
I don't! That was a Long time ago before I learned more about EBC and their new materials and engineering (Massive updates from the past products that I was not aware of at that time of the post). I was stuck on the old days when they were not as good compared to Porterfield or Raybestos. Also we have sold hundreds of sets of pads for the 2.0L and 2.9L with great results. I have not yet had one complaint from a customer from their EBC, in-fact way more compliments and repurchases of the same pads. Sometimes things change when you research and learn more as well as practice. ;) Thus changing my mind about what I thought was EBC from the past.

Looks like though EBC for you are fine. I bet putting the yellow back on the rears after the reds cleaned will result in no issues. Hard to say though with the mix of different rotor manufacturers from front to rear thought.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts