Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a point to change my brakes and rotors. I see oem is quite expensive. I'm interested in aftermarket if they work as well as the oems. I'm curious why no oem pads have the wire coming from it.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,409 Posts
Are you asking about aftermarket pads connecting to the wear sensor? If so, there are some pads, like EBC iirc, that do

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm at a point to change my brakes and rotors. I see oem is quite expensive. I'm interested in aftermarket if they work as well as the oems. I'm curious why no oem pads have the wire coming from it.
What kind of car QV or Ti? Big difference and price and it's a Ti don't complain as the QV costs for rotors and pads around $2k. Rock Auto is your friend.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Power Stop Z23 pads, and for rotors, depends on how many miles on the OEM. I run EBC rotors, and they seem fine. The EBC yellow stuff pads on the other hand... I'm done with them. 2nd set where they have unevenly deposited pad material on the rotors, causing pulsing. SO I'm moving to those Power Stops on the recommendation of a couple of people on here.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Power Stop Z23 pads, and for rotors, depends on how many miles on the OEM. I run EBC rotors, and they seem fine. The EBC yellow stuff pads on the other hand... I'm done with them. 2nd set where they have unevenly deposited pad material on the rotors, causing pulsing. SO I'm moving to those Power Stops on the recommendation of a couple of people on here.
I'd be curious how the other brand dynamic friction is that rock auto offers.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have the Yellows on the front of my Giulia 2.0 Q4 right now and RED Stuff on the rear, NAPA coated rotors on the front and Centerline Alfa coated rotors on the rear, so far they work great but with a crap ton of brake dust. I originally had yellows in the rear as well as the front and they would screech all of the time, even while driving at low speeds when NOT touching the brake pedal, tried everything to get the rears to stop making noise, I caved and put EBC Red Stuff on the rears, now they are silent. The grip on these are absolutely insane, I'm talking triple digit speeds with very hard braking all the way down to almost a dead stop while ABS is being activated, like it or not that's how I drive this car. You think the Power Stop Z23 can hold up to that abuse? The stock pads would glaze the rotors causing them to pulse really bad, and eventually re-bedding them no longer would fix the problem. The Yellow Stuff doesn't seem to have that problem for me. Anyways just wondering what's your opinion?
P.S. The Brake Pad Wire on the EBC brake pads fall out of the brake pad friction material, only after a few uses, not expecting these to hold up for long, I have about 4k miles on them so far and I'm almost half way down, by the way it looks these will be shot by the end of the year.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think I’m the odd man, as I am a fan of the OEM pads. I just replaced my backs at 30,000 miles and to be honest could’ve probably went another 10,000 on them.
Dust has never been a problem and don’t notice any issues with fade,.. and this is coming from a man who had 5 Infiniti’s with Brembo and Akebono brakes and never got over 23,000 on a set.
Of course, I’m not tracking.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I’m at 60k and have only changed the rear pads at 45k and probably had another 10k left. Front pads still easily have another 10,000 and all four OEM rotors are still within spec. I did flush the fluid at two years. The brakes from a maintenance standpoint have been a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,267 Posts
@lockem, do I remember correctly that you changed your brakes? What pads are you using?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
I have the Yellows on the front of my Giulia 2.0 Q4 right now and RED Stuff on the rear, NAPA coated rotors on the front and Centerline Alfa coated rotors on the rear, so far they work great but with a crap ton of brake dust. I originally had yellows in the rear as well as the front and they would screech all of the time, even while driving at low speeds when NOT touching the brake pedal, tried everything to get the rears to stop making noise, I caved and put EBC Red Stuff on the rears, now they are silent. The grip on these are absolutely insane, I'm talking triple digit speeds with very hard braking all the way down to almost a dead stop while ABS is being activated, like it or not that's how I drive this car. You think the Power Stop Z23 can hold up to that abuse? The stock pads would glaze the rotors causing them to pulse really bad, and eventually re-bedding them no longer would fix the problem. The Yellow Stuff doesn't seem to have that problem for me. Anyways just wondering what's your opinion?
P.S. The Brake Pad Wire on the EBC brake pads fall out of the brake pad friction material, only after a few uses, not expecting these to hold up for long, I have about 4k miles on them so far and I'm almost half way down, by the way it looks these will be shot by the end of the year.
I had the OEM pads on a two-day track event and cooked off about 4mm of them. They were definitely less effective on the road after that. I had the yellows on track at Road America, which was a really bad choice... they made it through the event, probably because I didn't get all of my runs due to other technical issues. They were completely turned to ash and were worthless after that. Changed em out for who knows what, R1 maybe? Prior to that event though, they had their deposit issues, as I noted. Yes, based on recommendation from bhvrdr and others, the Z23 is an OEM+ pad, at a fraction of the price. Not as heat tolerant as yellows though. I have a dedicated track setup, so I don't need to worry about those temps and potential issues on track. (Tarox 2-piece rotors and Raybestos ST-43 (F) and ST-42 (R))

For the OP who has completely ignored this whole thread, I have to assume, based on their question, that OEM is sufficient... thus the Power Stop Z23 recommendation.

Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,088 Posts
@lockem, do I remember correctly that you changed your brakes? What pads are you using?
I have changed my brakes twice. The first time with OEM and the second time with EBC yellow. The EBC seem to be longer wearing than the OEM, but I was unable to get the rear wear sensor wire into the retainer and now the wire is broken (both sides). EBC does not include shims or pins, while the more expensive OEM pads do. I will likely go back to OEM when it is time.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I had the OEM pads on a two-day track event and cooked off about 4mm of them. They were definitely less effective on the road after that. I had the yellows on track at Road America, which was a really bad choice... they made it through the event, probably because I didn't get all of my runs due to other technical issues. They were completely turned to ash and were worthless after that. Changed em out for who knows what, R1 maybe? Prior to that event though, they had their deposit issues, as I noted. Yes, based on recommendation from bhvrdr and others, the Z23 is an OEM+ pad, at a fraction of the price. Not as heat tolerant as yellows though. I have a dedicated track setup, so I don't need to worry about those temps and potential issues on track. (Tarox 2-piece rotors and Raybestos ST-43 (F) and ST-42 (R))

For the OP who has completely ignored this whole thread, I have to assume, based on their question, that OEM is sufficient... thus the Power Stop Z23 recommendation.
When are you going to to Road America again? Love that track in my QV. I had EBC blues in the rear and power stop track day pads in and had no issues.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
When are you going to to Road America again? Love that track in my QV. I had EBC blues in the rear and power stop track day pads in and had no issues.
Due to RA resurfacing this past winter/spring, it pushed a lot of schedules so the Audi club that I go with didn't get to this year. If it works out, I'll be there next year in August sometime. I love RA. It's an absolute dream for me to be able to drive on that iconic track.

The Tarox setup works wonders. Last time I was there I had a codriver, so they would go out in the novice group for 20 minute sessions then immediately after that I would be in the intermediate group for the same amount of time. My codriver's instructor got out after their first session and said "Sheesh, great brakes!". Glad I could impress them, but he was from the BMW club, so... LOL

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just avoid EBC which are a joke in the racing community here in the UK, last time I tried some on the road they faded after about half a dozen corners and crumbled like cake. Zimmerman discs are very good though and reasonably priced, but don’t get drilled discs.

·
Vendor
4,505 Posts
We carry OEM and Will have Brembo slotted available soon with Porterfield and EBC brakes. EBC have worked well. Both are good options. We use to carry EBC rotors but they just cannot supply them these days so I wait for them to come back into stock. If they do great, if not I have Brembo.

EBC have shown to be very good it's all about bedding in. Porterfield I believe are the best for the 2.0L

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will reiterate my earlier comments - avoid EBC like the plague if you consider yourself a serious driver. If you just pootle around then just buy OEM which are far better than anything EBC make. In 16 years of racing I don’t know if anyone who used EBC for more than a few laps. I would actually go as far as to say they are dangerous ie the discs will crack or warp and pads crumble.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow, that is terrible rotor damage! For me, in my half century of driving on the road and the track, starting with my British roadsters, thru various Porsches and others, and now my '18 QV, which I have not tracked, the most important thing in pad characteristics, of course, after being able to stop my cars, is pad modulation. A stable torque, and easy release, so I can just "breathe" on the pedal for some corners and turns and have exact control of what I want to do. And when I get close to replacing my pads, now at 35K miles, I will probably put the OEM pads back on. For me, the precision steering and braking feel my Alfa has is sublime. NV

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
1,117 Posts
The Tarox setup works wonders. Last time I was there I had a codriver, so they would go out in the novice group for 20 minute sessions then immediately after that I would be in the intermediate group for the same amount of time. My codriver's instructor got out after their first session and said "Sheesh, great brakes!". Glad I could impress them, but he was from the BMW club, so... LOL
Same here. Everyone who's driven my car on track has been impressed with the brakes.

Tomorrow should be interesting as I have the pyroclast shims and Tarox braided lines now.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Same here. Everyone who's driven my car on track has been impressed with the brakes.

Tomorrow should be interesting as I have the pyroclast shims and Tarox braided lines now.
I don't remember if I asked this, but are the lines coated or bare braid?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts