Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the other thread was deleted I'm creating one for discussion. This is for both the dry and wet CAI systems.

Dry CAI
Wet CAI

I did confirm with the vendor via email that as of today they are expecting to start shipping on June 30th. Once I receive it, I will post here my installation experience and first takes on performance. Claims are at +10 HP and +7 lbs. x ft. Torque max gains. I do have the ECv2 installed today and it's a bit too noisy for my taste. Hopefully this does the trick.

Reactions: jnsd

·
Registered
223 Posts
Since the other thread was deleted I'm creating one for discussion. This is for both the dry and wet CAI systems.

Dry CAI
Wet CAI

I did confirm with the vendor via email that as of today they are expecting to start shipping on June 30th. Once I receive it, I will post here my installation experience and first takes on performance. Claims are at +10 HP and +7 lbs. x ft. Torque max gains. I do have the ECv2 installed today and it's a bit too noisy for my taste. Hopefully this does the trick.
Keep us posted!

·
Vendor
186 Posts

Dry CAI
Wet CAI

Hi,

I've been meaning to update the forums about this. Actually the AFE ship date is pushed out a little from what we have originally planned. Pre-order info & link here

Ship dates are now looking like end of July / early August for the Giulia cold-airs. AFE is modifying some of the clamps for a better fit, hence the delay.

And yes, the enclosed system will be quieter than an open filter element style while giving the coldest air charge.

Thanks, Matt

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update from aFe is that they will be releasing on 7/18 instead of anticipated 6/30. No further details were provided in my inquiry. I will be posting an unboxing here and first impressions.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
FYI - This intake system is not CARB exempt at this time and is not legal for sale in California or use on vehicles registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New date is August 3rd. This is going to be fun lmfa0

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
My car was used for the AFE Sealed Intake. Attached is the finished product.
That looks really good, like factory equipment grade. Are you at liberty to share your thoughts on the unit? Do you know are they available for general sale yet?

·
Registered
771 Posts
FYI - This intake system is not CARB exempt at this time and is not legal for sale in California or use on vehicles registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

Darn, was just about to inquire about that! Is there a carbon filter in the OE box?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Dry CAI
Wet CAI

I'm all for quality products to fit our cars. The other thread was deleted because AFE decided they didn't want to be a paid vendor here. That thread was more about free advertising than anything else. The Admin does not allow free advertising. We need to tread lightly here.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hi,

I've been meaning to update the forums about this. Actually the AFE ship date is pushed out a little from what we have originally planned. Pre-order info & link here

Ship dates are now looking like end of July / early August for the Giulia cold-airs. AFE is modifying some of the clamps for a better fit, hence the delay.

And yes, the enclosed system will be quieter than an open filter element style while giving the coldest air charge.

Thanks, Matt
Matt, are you an AFE distributor?

·
Registered
144 Posts

Dry CAI
Wet CAI

Would be very interested in the results as well. From what I've seen and heard on YouTube the ECV2 make a noise that I'm not looking to emulate. The power increase absolutely, but not the turbo spool.

This looks amazing, looks like an OEM upgrade. Very classy.

Re: the advertising issues. If this thread was started by a member not affiliated with the brand, obviously no issue. If the manufacturer is chiming in with dates, I see that as a service to forum members. As you have said however RazerZ, I guess they have to tread carefully, but also hoping babies aren't throw out with bathwater here.

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Dry CAI
Wet CAI

You know, since you already have the V2 you don't have to use their filter. You can use the factory box and filter with it, which just turns it into a V1 unit.

I looked at the dyno charts afe has posted and it looks like it's somewhat similar in gains, although not as much as the V2, not as quickly and not as linear. The V2 does really well when you start climbing up in the revs. The afe unit does look seriously cool though. It would be interesting to see a comparison between the V1 and afe unit.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I looked at the dyno charts afe has posted and it looks like it's somewhat similar in gains, although not as much as the V2, not as quickly and not as linear. The V2 does really well when you start climbing up in the revs. The afe unit does look seriously cool though. It would be interesting to see a comparison between the V1 and afe unit.
It’s notable that EC was seeing substantially higher torque values than AFE, both at baseline and modded, so it’s hard to compare the numbers, but yeah, clearly V2 shows better gains over stock than AFE does over stock. If scaling and smoothing were the same, it would be easier to compare visually, but as you say, the trend is very similar.

Looking at the graph reminds me of what I feel when driving: needs more torque!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The difference is night and day based on the time I have driven it for. I highly recommend a sealed box if you want to keep the cabin noise at a minimum and experience the gains of an open box intake. Not to mention the cool factor of having the system blend well with the engine. The designer matched the intake cover with the engine cover and highlighted it with carbon fiber like accents (a nice touch). I believe it will be available soon. They just took the final installation pictures.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I sent AFE an email a week, or more ago, asking if they will be selling just the airbox, no intake tube, as I already have the EC intake tube. As of yet, they have not replied.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update, I got my aFe a bit more than week go but I had pre-ordered. You can order from their site today, I'm just not certain on ship dates. Before I even got to the install I received an email with them stating that they shipped my order with the wrong housing. This tells me they proactively combed through orders with the bad part and corrected it (sings of good customer service).

Once I receive the new housing and install it, I will share my un-boxing, install, and driving experience here as well as my personal observations compared to the ECv2. Stay tuned!
@jnsd I couldn't agree with you more on this. The reason I started this thread was to simply review their product (good or bad) and have others chime in as well. Basically, anything we do with any other product from eBay, to amazon, to EU, etc. I personally don't have control over vendors posting or violating so hopefully if this does become a problem, we will not be penalized but simply block the vendor from posting. I'm all about sharing knowledge and experiences, the genesis of forums and collaboration.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just an update, I got my aFe a bit more than week go but I had pre-ordered. You can order from their site today, I'm just not certain on ship dates. Before I even got to the install I received an email with them stating that they shipped my order with the wrong housing. This tells me they proactively combed through orders with the bad part and corrected it (sings of good customer service).

Once I receive the new housing and install it, I will share my un-boxing, install, and driving experience here as well as my personal observations compared to the ECv2. Stay tuned!
@jnsd I couldn't agree with you more on this. The reason I started this thread was to simply review their product (good or bad) and have others chime in as well. Basically, anything we do with any other product from eBay, to amazon, to EU, etc. I personally don't have control over vendors posting or violating so hopefully if this does become a problem, we will not be penalized but simply block the vendor from posting. I'm all about sharing knowledge and experiences, the genesis of forums and collaboration.

Here here.

Look forward to seeing / hearing the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

That is good customer service. I wish more companies had customer service at that level.

Agreed that we all want to know about all products, regardless of manufacturer or vendor. The Admin (not me), want's to get paid for advertising products on this forum. That's a difficult line to walk sometimes when we discuss products that don't pay for advertising.

AFE is welcome here. They responded quickly to my communication and did everything they could to respect the wishes of the Admin. When AFE is ready to become a paid vendor, they will be welcomed.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a short update on my order... I'm still waiting for the replacement housing, it's been a nightmare to get a new one shipped out which is extremely annoying. I had to escalate to everyone and their mother errrrff Apparently it was a manufacturing error but I'm wondering how this made it past their QA? That's another story.

As far as unboxing, very well packaged in a large box not like other competitors here. The quality of the housing and all the parts is legit with metal finishes instead of plastic. The large hoses though is what I have an issue with, they're plastic and feel kinda cheap vs. competitors rubber (might be other flexible material). The hoses stick to stock vs. expanding by .5" or 1" going into the airfilter housing. I'm guessing most of the cost is with the actual housing itself rather than everything else.

I have a new goal here and that is to combine this kit with the EC kit and make a hybrid. I will need to get some sort of converter from the housing considering that large hoses from EC but if my brain is correct, I should be ok with out much tinkering. The only issue I haven't calculated is space issues.

I will post an updated note if I ever get the new housing. I have a work trip coming up so thinks may get delayed a bit. Overall, from really good customer service to extremely sub-par IMO. Hopefully I'm an isolated case.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts