Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so apologies for any stupid questions. I'm in the market for a 2018/19 QV and looking at my first one tomorrow. It has about 13000 miles on it and is a September 2018 registration. Clearly, this is not an insignificant investment in a car I have wanted for a long time. I would be grateful if anyone had any thoughts on what to look for/be concerned about? I imagine we'll drive it so any rattles/squeaks/gearbox clunks to look out for?

On another note, I have read here about Apple CarPlay and what it takes to upgrade. This version does not have it and I understand software/hardware compatability can be assessed based on the number of USB ports.....! If anyone has any info on this, it would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dingo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Car should still be under warranty so all of your concerns should be eased by knowing everything is covered. I think one of the main exterior parts of the car that should be checked is the front carbon fiber splitter. Go underneath and make sure there is not any major scratching or damage done. Sometimes due to a lower ride height these splitters can be pretty beat up or even damaged. On the rear I'd check the rear splitter and make sure there are not any major dents/scratches as well.

Any interior rattles you hear should be fixed at your local Alfa dealer covered under warranty. Not sure about Apple CarPlay but I know in some 2018 models there is a software update that implements Apple CarPlay.

Are you buying from an Alfa Romeo dealership?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so apologies for any stupid questions. I'm in the market for a 2018/19 QV and looking at my first one tomorrow. It has about 13000 miles on it and is a September 2018 registration. Clearly, this is not an insignificant investment in a car I have wanted for a long time. I would be grateful if anyone had any thoughts on what to look for/be concerned about? I imagine we'll drive it so any rattles/squeaks/gearbox clunks to look out for?

On another note, I have read here about Apple CarPlay and what it takes to upgrade. This version does not have it and I understand software/hardware compatability can be assessed based on the number of USB ports.....! If anyone has any info on this, it would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dingo
Look for two USB ports inside the center console, but most importantly try it to see if it works. Good luck with your search. Also, check the infotainment SW version if you can (Under settings). Could be wrong, but I thought some of the very early 2018 models still used the same first gen head unit as 2017’s. If so, SW version would be either 001.xxx.xxx or 002.xxx.xxx. If so, you’re pretty much screwed (limited to aftermarket options to add CarPlay/AA).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car should still be under warranty so all of your concerns should be eased by knowing everything is covered. I think one of the main exterior parts of the car that should be checked is the front carbon fiber splitter. Go underneath and make sure there is not any major scratching or damage done. Sometimes due to a lower ride height these splitters can be pretty beat up or even damaged. On the rear I'd check the rear splitter and make sure there are not any major dents/scratches as well.

Any interior rattles you hear should be fixed at your local Alfa dealer covered under warranty. Not sure about Apple CarPlay but I know in some 2018 models there is a software update that implements Apple CarPlay.

Are you buying from an Alfa Romeo dealership?

It's a private sale but the car is under warranty until 2023 so, as you say, less to worry about. That said, hard to know whether the car has been driven hard/on the track etc. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for two USB ports inside the center console, but most importantly try it to see if it works. Good luck with your search. Also, check the infotainment SW version if you can (Under settings). Could be wrong, but I thought some of the very early 2018 models still used the same first gen head unit as 2017’s. If so, SW version would be either 001.xxx.xxx or 002.xxx.xxx. If so, you’re pretty much screwed (limited to aftermarket options to add CarPlay/AA).
Wingler,

Thanks a lot for the response- absolutely awesome. Can you expand on the 2x USB ports in the center - what does or doesn't it mean if you have them?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Wingler,

Thanks a lot for the response- absolutely awesome. Can you expand on the 2x USB ports in the center - what does or doesn't it mean if you have them?
The two port configuration was a hardware prerequisite for CarPlay/AA......don’t ask me why. My 2017 has just one port.

CarPlay requires the right hardware consisting of the 2 port USB AND the 2nd generation head unit, the correct infotainment SW version and correct proxi enablement.

2017 models have none of the above, very early 2018 models had some of the above, and later 2018+ models had all of the above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two port configuration was a hardware prerequisite for CarPlay/AA......don’t ask me why. My 2017 has just one port.

CarPlay requires the right hardware consisting of the 2 port USB AND the 2nd generation head unit, the correct infotainment SW version and correct proxi enablement.

2017 models have none of the above, very early 2018 models had some of the above, and later 2018+ models had all of the above.
Thanks again. I just read another thread where you seemed to be interested in doing this - did you get there in the end?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks again. I just read another thread where you seemed to be interested in doing this - did you get there in the end?
No problem. No I haven’t. There seem to be 3-4 viable options, but none are from what I’d consider well established companies, and none have been around long enough to prove they can keep pace with updates driven by future iOS releases, and none seem to have an authorized installer network established, so I’ll wait. In the meantime, I’ll survive with my iPod and the unexpected surprise map update from FCA.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Keep a battery supplier on speed-dial and you should have no problems in owning this car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keep an eye out for the manufacture date stamped on the driver's door frame, when shopping for model year 2018s. That's usually a signal of Carplay compatibility, and also whether it started life with (or still has) the raised springs that MY18's are notorious for.

My 2018 is a Nov 17 build, so it's equipped with the longer springs. But my car's black, so that extra gap in the wheel well has never bothered me. I imagine it's of greater visual significance if you go for a lighter exterior color.

Depending on how long a QV was sitting on the lot before it was purchased, and the driving patterns of the previous owner(s), you may find some groans & squeaks when operating the OEM brake setup at low speeds. Try to parallel park a few times to test what noises the brakes make, and see if you can live with that day-to-day. If the model you're looking at doesn't have carbon ceramics, then you can always play around with different pads and rotor combinations later.

QV's will inherently be more susceptible to getting rattles and creaks over time, compared to the non-performance trim Giulias. I never had a single rattle over 2 years of owning a MY17 Ti, yet can't say say the same for my QV. However most of these can be resolved with DIY solutions, if they do surface.

I had a Jag prior to Alfa, so admittedly my standards & expectations when it comes to creaks and rattles are very low... I remember browsing some JLR forums and seeing ~10 - 15% of all threads were owners asking for help diagnosing where the latest rattling or squeaking was coming from. My local JLR dealer was always very sympathetic to customers bringing their vehicles in for rattles, and I got to the know the technician team there quite well as their approach was to have owners drive around on bumpy rounds while they held a stethoscope (no joke) against pillars and panels to detect where it was coming from... but every time they solved one, another 2 would come up. I remember sitting in their waiting area one day waiting to pick up my car from service, while a service advisor was finishing up the work order with another customer who had brought in her Range Rover autobiography due to rattles... At that very moment, the receptionist happened to answer a phone call:
  • Receptionist: "Thank you for calling [dealer name] Jaguar Land Rover service dept. How may I assist you?"
  • [caller speaking for 20 seconds]
  • Receptionist: "Our technicians would be happy to look into the new rattle that's coming from the door of your XJR. What day would you like to bring your vehicle in?"
About a month after that, the interior panel of the driver-side A-pillar just fell off, on its on, when I was driving over a very bumpy patch of freeway. That's when my patience finally wore out and decided to dump the Jag.

3+ years of very happy Alfa ownership ever since! Wishing you all the best in your search for a QV!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Listen to rear end differential noises. I had bad radiator mounts which caused a shifted clunk when steering left or right at low speeds. Rattles, but a few I fixed my self with some felt. Oil changes are going to be expensive if you don't do self. Brakes are very expensive if you have to replace the rotors, pads aren't bad from Rock Auto. Check coolant level if low, there could be a leak. Check the air diffuser under the rear of the car and make sure the fins are still there. If it still has the Pirelli Corsa's plan on getting rid of them for some Michelin's if you plan on daily driving the QV. Ask if the battery been replaced, if not plan on doing that too as a low battery is the root of all evil on our cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you check the trunk for the fix flat and other items? Get a PPI done and check how old is the Battery?

·
Registered
520 Posts
A number of subtle part upgrades can all be assured if you select a later-model 2018, or newer. The easiest way to spot the right package, is to look for the folding rear seats indicated by the middle mini-headrest. You will certainly have Apple CarPlay, upgraded brake-line routing, latest wiring harness fixes, probable good-lot battery, many firmware upgrades from the factory, along with the taller springs (unforch). My searches for 2018s avoid pre Feb 2018 manufacturing for both superstitious and factual reasons.

Much of the toothgnashing around the Auto press having bad times with QVs can be traced to 2017-early 2018's and their (the ham-footed writer/driver/Jaloper, not the QV) inability to cleanly two-foot the brake and accelerator. These cars are great if you feed them fresh firmware and don't drive like a knucklehead.

Good luck with your search,

Reactions: kshitishsoman

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 2018 has a build date of Nov 2017 and I was able to get CarPlay after my first service where I'm assuming they did a software update.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Even if you have the older head unit that won’t accept the newer code to run CarPlay you can swap out the head unit for a newer one and swap the USB unit for one with the CarPlay authorization chip in it. It’s not the cheapest way to get CarPlay but it does leave you with a completely factory solution. Not one sanctioned by AR because they want to promote new sales so the hardest part can be finding a friendly technician with access to WiTech.
Hope the one you are looking at turns out to already have the hardware for CarPlay.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
124 Posts
I actually care less and less about the stereo.
I constantly find myself turning it off to listen to the exhaust sound..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts