Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,530 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback.
I understand both sides of this issue - both have their pluses and minuses.
The bottom line: I have run RFTs on my Corvette for 15 years on 18 and 19 inch wheels.I live in the NYC metro area so the roads are tired and pothole ridden.Never had a blowout - just a nail that was repaired. Truth is, to be really careful even a driver with RFTs should (theoretically) carry some kind of flat kit AND a spare for a that catastrophic hit.
My original question was for options especially since I have chosen to run "goflats". I will carry a kit but would like to have an actual spare in a perfect world. Trick is finding a temp small enough not to compromise our limited trunk space but that will still play nicely with our ABS etc.
As for the Firestones - they change the handling and ride characteristics of this fine automobile for the better.
No comparison to OEMs.
It’s not being ”careful” to carry a patch kit and spare with RFTs, it’s paranoid, especially in an urban environment like metro NYC. It’s like taking your own charcoal and grill to a restaurant “just to be safe.”

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It’s not being ”careful” to carry a patch kit and spare with RFTs, it’s paranoid, especially in an urban environment like metro NYC. It’s like taking your own charcoal and grill to a restaurant “just to be safe.”
Wow! Your sarcastic response notwithstanding, people do take trips outside of urban areas. Rather than respond further, I'll just say thanks for your "input".

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,530 Posts
Wow! Your sarcastic response notwithstanding, people do take trips outside of urban areas. Rather than respond further, I'll just say thanks for your "input".
It was’t input, it was a critique.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is just my personal opinion, but I’ve never been worried about running conventional (non-runflat) tires without having a spare tire or fix-a-flat kit with me. I don’t live in an overly populated area (about 200k people in my city and surrounding areas), but it’s exceptionally rare that I’m ever anywhere without cell reception. Like most new cars, our warranty includes free roadside assistance; I can just call them if I ever end up stranded somewhere. Sure, this will likely take longer than if I were to fix the issue myself, but I don’t mind the risk of losing an hour or two of my time for such a rare occurrence. I’ve had exactly one flat tire from a road hazard in 11 years of driving, and it was a slow leak that deflated while my car was parked at home overnight.

I can understand the need for spare tires and fix-a-flat kits before the days of cell phones or for those who live in very rural areas without reception, but even the highways and mountain passes between cities have pretty much full cell coverage where I live.

·
Registered
403 Posts
One solution is to carry a plug in tires pump for the occasion when a very slow leak is discovered away from home or a safe place to await help. Put them in my kids' cars when they were younger. Plus, I have pumped up low pressure skinny spares for others with the need to put one on on the road. NV

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I run non-ZP Michelens on my route, combined with a flat fix kit and a foot pump. I drive ~100 miles through a sparsely populated area on my way to a "town" with a population of just over 500. There is no cell phone reception along most of the route. I also carry season-appropriate equipment sufficient to spend the night in the car on the roadside, if needed. The very few flats that I have gotten while driving motor vehicles have happened in Urban areas, where screws and nails are more likely to be encountered on the road.

Most spare tires have insufficient pressure to be usable, unless they are new enough to have TPMS. I suppose some people regularly check their spare tire pressure, but most folks I know (including myself) do not.

You might need an airbag lift device to install a spare on a Giulia with a flat tire.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts