Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:
I have a 2020 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport which I purchased in early February.
I just got a nail in the sidewall of one of my OEM 225/40/19 tires rendering it unrepairable.
I wasn't overly impressed with the OEM run-flats and had always intended to replace them with a dedicated summer and seperate winter setup. Rather than buy a new OEM runflat for almost 400 dollars, (and since the choices for runflat tires in this size are very limited and not highly rated) I have instead opted to go with Firestone Indy 500 non run -flats for summer.
What do you all suggest regarding spare (or lack thereof). Are the "tire fix kits" any good or should I consider a donut type spare to carry on long trips?
Also I have 3 OEM 225/40/19 tires I am looking to unload. (Less than 750 miles).
Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've had two Q4 Ti Sports, a 2018 and 2019, with both square and staggered setups. I loved Firestone Firehawks on my 225 square setup. They are ridiculous on the staggered setup as well, giving me almost TOO much grip.

I carry a patch repair kit (the T-shape handles) and a pump, with slime as an emergency backup.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
82 Posts
sorry to hear the bad luck on a new car. interested in this thread because even though I don't need tires yet I have been looking at the same tires as an option when the time comes. price and reviews are putting them at the top of my list at this time, keep us updated on your decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry to hear the bad luck on a new car. interested in this thread because even though I don't need tires yet I have been looking at the same tires as an option when the time comes. price and reviews are putting them at the top of my list at this time, keep us updated on your decision.
I have these in run-flat form on my 2005 Corvette and in non runflat form on my wife's 2004 Acura TSX.
Best bang for the buck you can get and as you stated highly rated.
I'm 99 percent sure I'm going with them on the Giulia.
Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have these in run-flat form on my 2005 Corvette and in non runflat form on my wife's 2004 Acura TSX.
Highly recommend them.
Highly recommend them.
Pulled the trigger on the Firestones.
Very happy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
... Are the "tire fix kits" any good or should I consider a donut type spare to carry on long trips?...
IMO 'fix-a-flat' kits are almost worthless. The trend to ever lower profile rim/tires, which are very susceptible to damage by what used to be 'non-issue' road imperfections, will leave you dead-by-the-roadside. No amount of tire goo will fix a split sidewall or bent rim. Having the option of mounting a spare and motoring on is priceless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMO 'fix-a-flat' kits are almost worthless. The trend to ever lower profile rim/tires, which are very susceptible to damage by what used to be 'non-issue' road imperfections, will leave you dead-by-the-roadside. No amount of tire goo will fix a split sidewall or bent rim. Having the option of mounting a spare and motoring on is priceless.
Are there any viable temporary spare options for the Giulia?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
82 Posts
Pick up the tire and rim warranty for $275. 7 year unlimited mileage rim and tire warranty.
Where did you find on for that price? Also do you have it and have experience on it paying for a wheel and/or tire.
I’ve been looking at them but seem to be about $100 more

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where did you find on for that price? Also do you have it and have experience on it paying for a wheel and/or tire.
I’ve been looking at them but seem to be about $100 more
I haven't had to use it yet but even if I would be reimbursed at a later date it still is worth it as the cost of rims and tires for the QV is very high.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are there any viable temporary spare options for the Giulia?
Apparently there are....in Europe. I think this is aftermarket and says 'Stelvio' but if you plug in Giulia for fitment it says it will work.

RUOTINO DI SCORTA IN LEGA 18" PER ALFA ROMEO STELVIO CON CRIC CHIAVE E SACCA | eBay

Also, in one of the Italian Giulia forums there was mention of a factory spare kit. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to sell the vehicle with a spare tire in some markets but not in others (the Golf R being an example). So, if we can lookup Giulia parts catalogs for other markets, we can probably find the part number for that kit.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Apparently there are....in Europe. I think this is aftermarket and says 'Stelvio' but if you plug in Giulia for fitment it says it will work.

RUOTINO DI SCORTA IN LEGA 18" PER ALFA ROMEO STELVIO CON CRIC CHIAVE E SACCA | eBay

Also, in one of the Italian Giulia forums there was mention of a factory spare kit. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to sell the vehicle with a spare tire in some markets but not in others (the Golf R being an example). So, if we can lookup Giulia parts catalogs for other markets, we can probably find the part number for that kit.
Tire diameter is considerably different for Stelvio versus Giulia. The wheel might fit Giulia, but the tire will not. Maybe a Giulia compatible tire that will fit the wheel is available?
Also, Stelvio has a storage compartment for a compact spare, Giulia does not. You can put a spare in the trunk, but it will take up a large portion of the trunk.

Israeli market Giulia are equipped with a spare tire. The tire takes up pretty much the whole trunk.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,321 Posts
A temp spare does no good unless you have a jack and lug nut wrench, too, don’t forget. A low-profile jack; I don’t think there’s 4” clearance when the tires are full, so when flat...3.5”? If there are factory Giulia spares, I wonder what the jack looks like.

It all seems pretty silly just to save a few hundred bucks and gain some comfort, especially as owners of Italian sports sedans, but we all have different calculuses. Me, though, I’ve no interest in jacking up a car and changing a flat on the side of the road when there’s the option to use runflats, and being that I’m happy to pay a premium for that functionality, there is no downside at all for my needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
A temp spare does no good unless you have a jack and lug nut wrench, too, don’t forget. A low-profile jack; I don’t think there’s 4” clearance when the tires are full, so when flat...3.5”? If there are factory Giulia spares, I wonder what the jack looks like.

It all seems pretty silly just to save a few hundred bucks and gain some comfort, especially as owners of Italian sports sedans, but we all have different calculuses. Me, though, I’ve no interest in jacking up a car and changing a flat on the side of the road when there’s the option to use runflats, and being that I’m happy to pay a premium for that functionality, there is no downside at all for my needs.
I appreciate all the feedback.
I understand both sides of this issue - both have their pluses and minuses.
The bottom line: I have run RFTs on my Corvette for 15 years on 18 and 19 inch wheels.I live in the NYC metro area so the roads are tired and pothole ridden.Never had a blowout - just a nail that was repaired. Truth is, to be really careful even a driver with RFTs should (theoretically) carry some kind of flat kit AND a spare for a that catastrophic hit.
My original question was for options especially since I have chosen to run "goflats". I will carry a kit but would like to have an actual spare in a perfect world. Trick is finding a temp small enough not to compromise our limited trunk space but that will still play nicely with our ABS etc.
As for the Firestones - they change the handling and ride characteristics of this fine automobile for the better.
OEMs are no comparison.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts