Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, after hanging around this forum for a while.......I have decided to drink the cool-aid :grin2:, sell my 911S and take the plunge on a Giulia QV....... will order at some point towards the end of '17, beginning of '18.....

I have tons of question, but let's start with color.......

I love the Rosso Competizione and I think that is the icon Alfa QV color. If I lived in a rural area it would definitely be my first choice, but in my neck of the woods it might be a bit too conspicuous for cops on freeways or haters in parking lots therefore, I am also looking at the Vulcano and Montecarlo.

I have always had black cars, my current Porsche, my Jeep SRT, my previous 911 race car...... so I don't mind the Vulcano, but it seems like that color doesn't do any justice to the Giulia's anatomical curves.......

The Montecarlo might be the the right mix between exposing the curves without standing out too much......

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on color choices?

·
Registered
420 Posts
While those colors look very nice, Italian cars are red. I see quite a few red cars around here. I do not think most folks will have any idea what an Alfa Romeo is at this point.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
To me, the blue hides too much of the exterior Quadrifoglio carbon fiber. The dark-dark combo does not allow unknowing persons to recognize the detail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My vote is for red. I totally think that the darker colors hide the shape of the alpha more than other cars, at least on the internet. Not sure why.

I love black but from what I gather the alpha has soft paint. This is an issue for me on my current black car. I hand wash and still get swirls.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Tri-coat Competizione red is amazing. I'm normally not a red-car guy, but I leaning heavily towards that color. I figure what the heck. The Monza Red will be stunning as well (close to the color on my Ghibli), but I do not think that'll be a color option in combination with the Sport Package on the car.

Also finally saw the expensive white. Which surprisingly looks much better than the base-white color of the Giulia.

But I would recommend against the black on a car like this with subtle curves, it will mask the lines.

·
Registered
189 Posts
OK, after hanging around this forum for a while.......I have decided to drink the cool-aid :grin2:, sell my 911S and take the plunge on a Giulia QV....... will order at some point towards the end of '17, beginning of '18.....

I have tons of question, but let's start with color.......

I love the Rosso Competizione and I think that is the icon Alfa QV color. If I lived in a rural area it would definitely be my first choice, but in my neck of the woods it might be a bit too conspicuous for cops on freeways or haters in parking lots therefore, I am also looking at the Vulcano and Montecarlo.

I have always had black cars, my current Porsche, my Jeep SRT, my previous 911 race car...... so I don't mind the Vulcano, but it seems like that color doesn't do any justice to the Giulia's anatomical curves.......

The Montecarlo might be the the right mix between exposing the curves without standing out too much......

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on color choices?
Personally I prefer the Giulias in lighter colors, the grays and whites, unless you go trad red.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I"ve got the competizione red - and love it.. I think the competizione white would be my 2nd choice... monte carlo blue #3

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd say go for a stealthy color. Besides, red is the quickest color to fade. Oh wait. Who'd have a QV and not garage? Go red!
Flyby out

·
Registered
166 Posts
The person who will see and enjoy the color most is you. I think you should get what you think you'd enjoy, without regard to what you think cops or other people will think of it.

I've had cars in blacks, silvers, whites, reds, yellow even and I haven't noticed any real difference in the attention you get from LE or anyone else.

Personally my color choice depends mostly on the design of the car. I just ordered a 911 in GT Silver, but then I "ordered" (have no idea if it's a firm order) a QV in Rosso Competizione. So I'm not a "red" guy or even a bright color guy all the time, I just think the QV looks best to me in red.

I'd get what looks best to you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I absolutely love the competizione red but I am a blue-guy so I went with montecarlo.
It is a more solid blue when not in bright sun which is nice but not to spectacular. When the sun comes out it really stands out.
You can see a couple of pictures of my car in the blue montecarlo thread on the forum

·
Registered
27 Posts
Out of all of the availible colors for the QV I'd choose the Trofeo White over the Rosso Comitizione Red. I find the Rosso C Red to be alittle bit mottled because if the sun isn't shinning on it, it loses it luster. Which isn't too bad because in a small rural community, if the sun isn't shinning on it, it won't be too shouty. But, both the Monte Carlo Blue and Volcano are GREAT colors. You can't go wrong :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have always had Black, but got the MonteCarlo Blue Ti. Love the choice, but i always wanted a blue colored car. Go with your gut, honestly any color choice will be good.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your inputs, greatly appreciate them!

Now.......anybody got ceramic brakes?

Personally, for me me it would be overkill for what I would use the vehicle for, since I already have a dedicated race car. My QV would only probably see a couple of track events a year, so ceramic brakes would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.....

But.......I would like to hear your opinions........

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have Rosso Competizione Ti but almost got Stromboli Gray. I saw a MC Blue, and it was very nice also. I've never owned an Italian car, so I went with red--just because!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah ceramic is overkill but if you have to be limited to all that black and alcantara, why not book a track day and light up your brakes properly!
:D
That's what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah ceramic is overkill but if you have to be limited to all that black and alcantara, why not book a track day and light up your brakes properly!
:D
That's what I'm thinking.
Because brakes only slow you down, you want to use them sparingly! LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you all for your inputs, greatly appreciate them!

Now.......anybody got ceramic brakes?

Personally, for me me it would be overkill for what I would use the vehicle for, since I already have a dedicated race car. My QV would only probably see a couple of track events a year, so ceramic brakes would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.....

But.......I would like to hear your opinions........
I have ceramic brakes. The primary reasons I wanted them are less brake dust, lighter weight, and longevity (street use only). I considered the option reasonably priced at $5,500 compared to $8-9K on a BMW or Porsche. Also, I'm not sure if it's at all related, but I test drove two Quadrifoglio's and the one without CCM was very hard to modulate at low speeds. The car with CCM had no such problem (lacking in overall feel, yes, but low speed brake modulation was significantly better).

If you plan to track any car often that has a ceramic brake option then it's usually better to stick with the cast iron brakes. Ceramic rotors are very expensive to replace and the added cost is not worth the difference in braking performance--you won't stop any sooner, but the ceramics should help with heat to keep the braking more consistent throughout a track session/day. This is easily replicated though with a good set of cast iron brakes, like what comes standard on a Quadrifoglio (or BMW, Porsche), with a high performance set of brake pads and fluid.

So far for me the CCM on the Quadrifoglio perform similarly to Porsche's PCCB, in other words they work great on the street in all [California] temps with no noise. I have heard that BMW's equivalent can be noisy and may not perform well when cold or wet, but my only experience with them was on a dry track at the BMW M School where they were trouble free.

Now that the CCM option is $8,000 I don't think I would check the box on a custom build, but I have not experienced any downsides to using them on the street.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts