Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quick question for a new member; has anyone had experience negotiating the overall price of a 2018 Giulia AWD Ti Sport? MSRP is around $44,000 and I'm currently in the process of locating one without the (IMO) unnecessary driver assists/packages. I have it spec'd right around $45,400. Only thing I chose was the "cold weather" option (I live in the Northeast US). Didn't want the panomaric moon roof/sun roof option either. I was hoping I could get the Ti and just upgrade the seats to the sport seats and the paddle shifters essentially but it's not available on the regular Ti. I find that where people go wrong with leasing first and then potentially buying is negotiating the monthly payments as opposed to the overall price of the vehicle to help control the residual value. I also didn't need the navigation since the 2018 models have Android Auto built in, but the Ti Sport comes with it anyway.

My local dealer (Dorschel Alfa/Maserati of Rochester) doesn't have a Ti Sport without the driver assist stuff and panoramic roof, or essentially a fully spec'd Ti Sport. They have the color (Alfa Rosso) I'm looking for with the 19" five-hole Alfa rotary style rims but both of which are spec'd out fully with an MSRP of around $49,000-$50,000. I was contemplating around December or January to head into the dealer or at least call the manager about the timeline for ordering, but I stupidly never did and it takes between 3-4 months. I'm not so sure if I really want to drop $4500-$5000 down payment to wait until nearly the end of the summer for my Alfa. Mistake on my part for sure.

Basically I'm looking for some insight on lease/buying negotiating. Obviously with European model cars in the US residual value is a definite question mark, especially for, essentially, a new and unproven make. The dealer manager and salesman I'm speaking with are about to update me on new incentives they regularly receive monthly, and they're going to look for a Ti Sport (either AWD or RWD, another debate I'm having) that is minimally spec'd for me.

If they can't locate one could I potentially get them to give me the spec'd out Ti Sport they have sitting in the lot for the same price as the one I'm looking for? While Alfa is slowly starting to catch on they're not exactly flying off the shelf, so to speak. I'm essentially ready to pull the trigger and the dealer knows this, so I'm thinking they don't want to lose an admittedly enthusiastic customer (who's also a fan). What have been your experiences negotiating with dealers about pricing, lease and warranty terms?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure if this will be of any help since I'm not in USA, but I got ~$5,000 (~10%) discount from my dealer here in Sweden on a custom ordered Giulia Veloce (Ti Sport in USA?) and he said the discount is from FCA basically. I think you can get even a better deal with cars that are sitting and gathering dust.

On my search for a decent dealer I came across dealers who refused to even give me $1 discount on sitting cars, with way too high prices. So what I did was I got an estimate, then I took that to the next dealer and asked if they could give me a better deal, then next dealer and so on until I found one that I liked and that could give me a good enough deal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I had the same issue (not finding exactly the car with the right options and color) and ended up ordering one. The dealer was pretty honest about the time that it might take to get it built and shipped, but they did not ask enough for even a 1 cent down payment. I’m getting a ti Sport with most options except the driver assist stuff. Mine includes the sunroof and the MSRP came to a little over $52k. I am paying dealer invoice for it, which means they still get the holdback which is (I think) 1% of MSRP. Ordered in 2/28/18 and got a VIN last week. It's still in "JB" status,m whatever that is.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I'm probably going to do a lease for a Ti Sport (not quite sure about Q2 or Q4) and I'm sure this is a car I want to eventually purchase, but I'm looking to negotiate with the overall price and residual percentage at the end of the lease terms (say 50% of MSRP).

Not sure if this will be of any help since I'm not in USA, but I got ~$5,000 (~10%) discount from my dealer here in Sweden on a custom ordered Giulia Veloce (Ti Sport in USA?) and he said the discount is from FCA basically. I think you can get even a better deal with cars that are sitting and gathering dust.

On my search for a decent dealer I came across dealers who refused to even give me $1 discount on sitting cars, with way too high prices. So what I did was I got an estimate, then I took that to the next dealer and asked if they could give me a better deal, then next dealer and so on until I found one that I liked and that could give me a good enough deal.

Good luck!
Thank you. I'm awaiting an e-mail response later this week on their new monthly incentives as well as if they can locate the specific trim I'm looking for. Here in the US there aren't many Alfa dealers around me (New York State) so it's difficult for me to go "dealer hopping" to try and get better incentives. I'm just hoping that perhaps they'll acquiesce on the loaded Ti Sport they have sitting in the lot since obviously they're looking to push as many sales as possible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you. I'm awaiting an e-mail response later this week on their new monthly incentives as well as if they can locate the specific trim I'm looking for. Here in the US there aren't many Alfa dealers around me (New York State) so it's difficult for me to go "dealer hopping" to try and get better incentives. I'm just hoping that perhaps they'll acquiesce on the loaded Ti Sport they have sitting in the lot since obviously they're looking to push as many sales as possible.
I was calling every dealer I could find, even those who were about 8-10 hour drive away. I thought if I get a good enough deal, I can take the train/flight there and drive the car back :smile2: I'm sure you can also have them deliver it if the driving is not an option.
I even got one dealer to agree to pay the lease on my current car (2 months left) if I purchased from them :grin2:

Point being, it's better to call and ask even if the chance is 2%, compared to not calling which is 0% chance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A couple observations for you: I bought a Ti Sport last March - one of the first sold in WA state and rec'd 8.8% off MSRP - FCA money was only $750 at that time... Since then it has only increased.. So I think 10% off is a good baseline to start/shoot for. However, when I do check occasionally check inventories it appears that 1) well equipped Ti Sports sell fast, while Ti Lussos seem to hang on the lots longer.. So negotiating on a Ti Sport may be a bit more challenging. 2) I haven't seen too many stripped down Tis. Most all I've checked out either have the Sport or Lusso package. And then I see lots with the sunroof - something I didn't want and was able to avoid.

A better alternative may be to find a base model that has the interior and exterior sport packages. You get the diffuser, black exterior window trim, and paddle shifters.. The two things you won't get are the upgraded Ti seats and the larger 5 hole wheels (both of these were must haves for me).

If you follow the boards it seems that the Sport owners really like the seats and paddle shifters. Two options that appear to get strong thumbs up are the Suspension/LSD package and the leather package. Drivers assist seems a bit more mixed, though some endorse it.

As far as lease or purchase: I bought, though leasing is probably a safer way to go as depreciation is a real thing - a few posts on the boards about trade-in offers around $30k for 1 year old Giulia's... Lease terms are much more favorable now than one year ago.

Lastly, I don't know if you can pass on the nav system and still get AC Play and AA. I thought I read something that this was not possible - otherwise no one would spec the Nav - we'd all just hook up our smartphones to the display.. Again not sure on this one but advise to confirm you can avoid the Nav and still get smart phone integration..

Good luck - it's a super fun car to drive!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It certainly is insanely fun to drive. The manager and salesman here have been quite cordial and haven't bombarded me at all as far as typical dealer haggling. So far I've test driven the car twice (AWD Ti Sport). Seeing as I live in the Northeast US we have interminable winters so they're moving Stelvios at this point much more than Giulias (an admission of the salesman, who was recently hired). I've yet to sit down and discuss detailed lease terms. Both the manager and salesman have communicated with me through e-mail that they are going to get new incentives following April 2nd. So far in my one day being on the forums I've seen some quite impressive lease deals that others have achieved.

I've been hesitant to get into the numbers discussion and have been focusing more on the car itself. I've prepared myself to walk away if I indeed don't get any favorable terms, since I'm sure by the end of 2018 I can possibly get even better closeout deals on a model I can order and wait for in the winter months. This week will be quite telling after they get their incentives from Alfa, and I return to the dealership and start talking numbers. I'm hoping there will be solid rebates and discounts available. The salesman briefly said that a moderately spec'd Ti Sport (roughly $45,000) would entail around a $385-$400 monthly payment on a 36 month term with around 10% down. I'm leery of putting down $4500 on a lease, especially if the RV offered is above 50%. I'm sure they realize that I'm a committed customer who knows the car and Alfas in general (and I generally understand math, lol). If they aren't able to locate a moderately spec'd Ti Sport that I asked for, I'm wondering if they'd be willing to haggle on the loaded ones they have sitting in their lot, knowing that if they kick in some incentives and discounts they could get rid of it on that same day.

I'll be honest, I've only ever purchased cars. Certainly not European sport sedans either. This will be my first time negotiating lease terms. Definitely hoping for the best but I have to prepare myself to potentially walk away, despite being emotionally invested.

As for the car itself, the Sport seats, 19-inch 5-hole rotary wheels and paddle shifters are a must. The stock wheels on the base Giulia and even Giulia Sport are quite unattractive, IMO. I've only ever tested the AWD version. Hint of turbo lag, to be sure, but the acceleration and top-end torque is brilliant. The handling is utterly sublime and unlike anything I've ever driven.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your wallet permits, i'd get one loaded up. I'm not sure how long you keep cars, but the resale on a 4cyl car without all the goodies will suffer if you attempt to get one stripped of the driver assist stuff. its not that much difference in price and worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your wallet permits, i'd get one loaded up. I'm not sure how long you keep cars, but the resale on a 4cyl car without all the goodies will suffer if you attempt to get one stripped of the driver assist stuff. its not that much difference in price and worth it in the long run.
I get the logic behind this. Especially if after a 36 month term I decide to buy the car outright. The resale value would be increased with the driver assists and luxury options. I guess the biggest thing I'm shooting for is bulky incentives and rebates for the loaded Ti Sport, which is listed at $50,000 or so. Time will tell if the dealer is also willing to negotiate in good faith. They seem to be thus far.

Even a "stripped" down Ti Sport, though, comes with awesome stuff like the LSD sports package, the sport seats, paddle shifters, cold weather package and 8.8 inch infotainment system. When I spec'd it out without the driver assists and panoramic roof it came out to $45,560. The two they have that are, essentially, exactly what I want are around $5,000-$6,000 more expensive. If push came to shove I can probably afford the payments, I'm just hoping I can score a deal based on limited availability and the dealer's own willingness to come down on the price (for a lease/sale).

·
Registered
630 Posts
There is no negotiation on the residual value when leasing. The lessor determines the RV and the base money factor based on your credit score. The things that generally are negotiable are the capitalized cost, doc fees and any additional money factor premium your dealer may have attempted to tack onto the base money factor in order to pad their profit margin.

·
Registered
402 Posts
check out this link:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussi...2018-alfa-romeo-guilia-lease-deals-and-prices

there is also a link on Edmunds where to calculate your own lease price. https://www.edmunds.com/calculators/car-lease.html

I'd suggest going for at least 7% off sticker. That is the general recommendation for "on the lot" vehicles. They will give you excuses "we are losing money, blah blah blah." "It's below invoice." None of that means anything. Get at least 7% discount or walk.

Also, try to get the 20 and 30K maintenance thrown in.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
273 Posts
I would also look at leasehackr.com for leasing advice. There is a lot of good content to arm yourself with on that site.

·
Registered
647 Posts
A better alternative may be to find a base model that has the interior and exterior sport packages. You get the diffuser, black exterior window trim, and paddle shifters.. The two things you won't get are the upgraded Ti seats and the larger 5 hole wheels (both of these were must haves for me).!
QVerde27, in case you can do without the heated seats, my Giulia heats up very fast even in cold weather. Consider the Base Giulia with almost all you desire. My seats are super comfortable and I like the more plain 5 hole wheels.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/313-dealers-purchasing-ordering/34585-ti-vs-non-ti.html See my post #4.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Appreciate the info gentlemen. I may have found a diamond in the rough in Erie, PA. Here in Rochester, NY, this model Ti Sport AWD that is on the lot is going for $49,000-$50,000 sticker price. The salesman just e-mailed me a notification that the new incentives will arrive tomorrow. I did some searching and found this:

https://www.alfaromeousaofwaterford...o-Giulia-841e15220a0e0ae7560328f25b79a02f.htm

Pretty crazy savings if indeed they are authentic. Obviously I've sent a follow up e-mail to get some more details, but at the very least it can be a useful bargaining chip. Yea it doesn't have the cold weather package, but personally I'm not dead set on adding it.

Should I trust a listing with such a sharply reduced MSRP?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first post and I am a brand new Giulia owner, as of Saturday! Very excited to get it and got a great deal from Naperville, IL Alfa (outskirts of Chicago). Mine stickered at $51,700...I got it for $43,450! It is a '18 Vesuvio Gray / red n black interior, Ti Sport with the upgraded 5 hole wheels, cold weather package, sunroof, front n rear facia, leather package, Bi-xenon headlamps, 8.8 nav; HK premium audio...pretty amazing deal. They are a Maserati/ Alfa dealer and the service was impeccable. I would check them out...I dealt with Sean.

Good luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Appreciate the info gentlemen. I may have found a diamond in the rough in Erie, PA. Here in Rochester, NY, this model Ti Sport AWD that is on the lot is going for $49,000-$50,000 sticker price. The salesman just e-mailed me a notification that the new incentives will arrive tomorrow. I did some searching and found this:

https://www.alfaromeousaofwaterford...o-Giulia-841e15220a0e0ae7560328f25b79a02f.htm

Pretty crazy savings if indeed they are authentic. Obviously I've sent a follow up e-mail to get some more details, but at the very least it can be a useful bargaining chip. Yea it doesn't have the cold weather package, but personally I'm not dead set on adding it.

Should I trust a listing with such a sharply reduced MSRP?
All Ti models come standard with the heated seats and steering wheel, other wise known as the Cold Weather Package on the base model.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Looks like a good price to me, nice Giulia. I love my Rosso Red. The paddle shifters are amazing! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All Ti models come standard with the heated seats and steering wheel, other wise known as the Cold Weather Package on the base model.
Good point I forgot about that, they even printed out the specs for me at the dealer Saturday. I certainly e-mailed the dealer down in PA for more information and if it came down to it I'd drive down 3 hours or so to pick it up if my local dealer doesn't budge.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I tried to buy that precise car. They require the buyer to sign physically in person. I didn't want to make an extra trip, although the salesman offered to pay my airfare. Killer, killer deal and I would have grabbed that one had I been able to. I got a white Ti Sport AWD with red interior + sunroof + performance pack + assists for 41.5 in socal. I claim the red one is the best deal in the country, and mine was the second best.

here is a red Ti AWD under $40K : https://www.alfaromeousaofnapervill...a0e0aea624ddd1703d65ec7.htm?searchDepth=18:23

by the way, mine is an AWD as well...love it.

Reactions: gargoyle
1 - 20 of 66 Posts