Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a fairly long trip on the Interstate (45.9 miles) right after filling the tank. So, I thought, "I wonder what kind of mileage I can get on my 2.0L base Giulia in Advanced Economy Mode." So, here's the answer - 41.3 mpg - and I probably could have gotten more with an even longer trip (the mileage was still slowly increasing).

What's your best mileage on a trip of reasonable length?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,927 Posts
I rarely use A mode and routinely get 33-35 mpg. Fuel economy should improve as the fuel load decreases.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I had a fairly long trip on the Interstate (45.9 miles) right after filling the tank. So, I thought, "I wonder what kind of mileage I can get on my 2.0L base Giulia in Advanced Economy Mode." So, here's the answer - 41.3 mpg - and I probably could have gotten more with an even longer trip (the mileage was still slowly increasing).

What's your best mileage a a trip of reasonable length?
When I do the 400 mile all interstate trip between Raleigh and Atlanta I consistently get 39.x - 40.x mpg using A mode.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very impressive. Was this from your commute?
I appreciate my car’s efficiency as well. In my QV I can get 27mpg average (sometimes more!) on a full tank during the week. My commute is 90% highway so makes sense. Still impressive for a sports sedan!

I usually get 27 mpg in N mode. I'm retired. This was an Interstate trip from Hammond to Metairie, Louisiana.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my own experience I found "A" to be academically better than but not practically superior to "N". I make regular trips between Tucson and Phoenix, AZ. The 1,000-ft elevation difference washes out any effect of the switch setting. The driving style I adopt has far more impact than the switch or the slope. I personally have found the slow, tepid response of "A" to be merely a safety hazard, more indicative of "Anemic Response" than "Advanced Anything". The fact that it seems to affect the fly-by-wire steering assist and brake assist as well is what makes it truly scary to me.

·
Premium Member
2018 QV
166 Posts
My wife has been able to get 30+ in the QV. She could also coax close to 30 when we had the Jag XFR. That was a 510hp blown 5.0l without any E mode. Amazing.

I can, well...I start out with good intentions.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,413 Posts
At a constant, level 60MPH (secondary highways) I get around 37MPG in my Q4.
I routinely get 75MPG for 20 miles at 60MPH after I fill up in Miwuk, including hitting err, more than 60MPH in the steep downhill section.
I average 32-33MPG on the freeway.
I use A on boring roads like the above. D gets much worse fuel economy, but I also reserve my use of D to when I want to "get on it". I have never driven enough in N to get a fuel economy estimate.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Did we ever prove if there was an actual difference between D, N, and A for gas mileage? I remember someone mentioning that they tested it on a long journey and they were almost identical? Here’s a question: does lowering RPMs (like A) make the car work harder and therefore burn more gas or does changing gears at higher RPMs (like D) burn more gas? Honestly curious on this one

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Did we ever prove if there was an actual difference between D, N, and A for gas mileage? I remember someone mentioning that they tested it on a long journey and they were almost identical? Here’s a question: does lowering RPMs (like A) make the car work harder and therefore burn more gas or does changing gears at higher RPMs (like D) burn more gas? Honestly curious on this one
There is a difference between A and N for sure. When I forget to put in A for my road trips the mileage runs in low to mid 30s vs 40ish in A.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Higher RPMS definitely burn more gas to produce a fixed amount of power due to increased frictional losses. I do not know of any ICE that gets better fuel economy at higher RPM. You can get pretty rapid feedback on this by using manual shifting and watching the fuel economy gauge on your car.

Now just to confuse things, the maximum efficiency of an engine does not peak at IDLE or some low RPM, but efficiency is defined in terms of (fuel consumption rate)/(power developed). ICE maximum efficiency is normally at or near full throttle and max torque.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know how do you get such mileage , although I am with Stelvio. My record is 8.0l/100km. You get 5.7l/100km ....... I also do my lowest consumption in D with the paddles in manual. In A mode it consumes more, not by much but still. I understand the car is taller and heavier than Giulia, but obviously I can never get to what is stated in the brochure - 5.9l/100km 😂 My combined for around 14 000km is around 12l/100km.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I don't know how do you get such mileage , although I am with Stelvio. My record is 8.0l/100km. You get 5.7l/100km ....... I also do my lowest consumption in D with the paddles in manual. In A mode it consumes more, not by much but still. I understand the car is taller and heavier than Giulia, but obviously I can never get to what is stated in the brochure - 5.9l/100km 😂 My combined for around 14 000km is around 12l/100km.
I get better than that with my Q4 driving in town in stop and go traffic, where I get 10-11l/100km. I rarely drive in town.
My record worst is 14l/100km, driving aggressively over a mountain pass.
How fast are you driving? In the USA highway speed limits are generally between 105 and 120kph.
If you get better fuel economy in D than A there is something wrong with your car.
Are you using high octane fuel (I think 98 RON is recommended in Europe)?
Do you have the V6? If so you are getting pretty good fuel economy.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think it takes a number of tanks of gas with careful accounting of gallons and miles to get a fairly accurate MPG. Just an extra half gallon or more at a refill on a 100 mile trip makes a significant difference in perceived MPG. I did do a 250 mile interstate trip in A just to see what my QV would do, it was about 23 MPG. But while I occasionally drive in A just to flush the system with hot oil I use N on long trips, and D in town. I think life is short, so I enjoy and use my Alfa's performance (safely) as often as I can and as often as I wish. By the way, I almost never drive in R. I am too old to have the reflexes I once did to drive with vigor without the safety net the other modes offer.

NV

·
Registered
473 Posts
I hit 37 mpg on a road trip to the high country. After racing through the mountains, it was nice to take a break and relax in A mode. That MPG lasted a good hour or so. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Best I've seen is 7.5L/100 (which translates to 31.4 mpg)
Which is really good with a Quadrifoglio. Most people posting here have a 2.0T.
I have topped 40MPG over 60 miles the same way that I have topped 75MPG (the highest possible reading) over 20miles: final downhill run out of the mountains. It is not really an indication of great efficiency from the car.

In some areas of California it is also possible to have a tail wind both ways of a commute.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I never get this kind of economy, but then 90 plus per cent of my driving is city based, to and from work etc. I find there is an “ economy cliff” that I fall off when the average speed for a test is below 30 km/ h ( 20 mph) due to traffic.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I never get this kind of economy, but then 90 plus per cent of my driving is city based, to and from work etc. I find there is an “ economy cliff” that I fall off when the average speed for a test is below 30 km/ h ( 20 mph) due to traffic.
Most cars get their best fuel economy at the lowest speed that allows the engine to run smoothly in the tallest gear of the transmission. For Giulia 2.0T at sea level this is around 45MPH. At 6000 foot plus elevation it is 60MPH, as the car refuses to go into 8th unless the speed is at least 60MPH.

Braking is really bad for fuel economy and in town you are going to do a lot of braking.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I get better than that with my Q4 driving in town in stop and go traffic, where I get 10-11l/100km. I rarely drive in town.
My record worst is 14l/100km, driving aggressively over a mountain pass.
How fast are you driving? In the USA highway speed limits are generally between 105 and 120kph.
If you get better fuel economy in D than A there is something wrong with your car.
Are you using high octane fuel (I think 98 RON is recommended in Europe)?
Do you have the V6? If so you are getting pretty good fuel economy.
In town I get everywhere between 10 and 15l/100km , depending on traffic.
My record worst is maybe around 15-16l/100km.
I drive aggressive sometimes with pedal to the metal , but not all the time.
With my style of driving, I think driving in A will give more consumption every time, as I push the pedal more to have more response. Around here is not very healthy to overtake vehicles slowly and stay longer in the opposite lane.
I am not complaining. It is normal consumption.
I only use 100 octane fuel from Shell. 98 is not recommended in Europe. 95 is, but higher , the better for the engine .
There is nothing wrong with the car. If I want to get all of the A mode, I must drive with the trucks and busses and not overtaking them, which is very dangerous here.We have one of the highest death rates here, from auto crashes and accidents in the world. It is a war, man. If I have to monitor all the time the gas pedal and terrain, to use coasting I will be most possibly be involved sooner in accident , than driving little faster and concentrate on..... just the driving.
I don't have V6. It is Q4 280hp 2.0T engine, Veloce.
Highway speed here is 140km/h , but driving with 160km/h will not have serious consequences. ....Especially if you use Waze and radar detector. 😆
With 160-170km/h average consumption is about the same like in town - around 12 -13 l/100km. With 180- 190km/h - consumption around 14-15 l/100km. But I don't drive that fast,...usually.
Other roads, between the cities are mostly 90km/h , which means most people drive with 100-110km/h . With that speed and driving normal/not too aggressive, but not slow/ , consumption, around 10 l/100km. If not overtaking very often and using the coasting in N mode I can get about the same as with manual paddles n D mode - 8 l/100km.
Maybe if I drive with 80-90km/h, not more, not overtaking of any kind and using coasting when possible, without any load in the vehicle, without AC and using the wind in my direction , in A mode ,....I will get 7 l/100km consumption.
After all I prefer to be safer and drive as best as possible depending on traffic conditions, which includes often fast overtaking. That is why, more powerful engines and good handling cars can save you, not only the good brakes.
I am totally fine with consumption and really enjoy the car very, very much !!!
If I wanted boring, ugly and unresponsive, low consumption car, I should have bought some Toyota .

1 - 20 of 61 Posts