Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, do you think that it would be possible to add some "apps" to the Giulia infotainment?
I'll try to explain it better: I can't stand that Giulia dashbord does not show a lot of data about engine's operation. I mean that we can't see water temp, boost pressure, oil temp (in numbers, not in notches), battery voltage and so on.
It would be amazing for me to have on the infotainment something like the "performance pages" charged on Dodge cars.

Does anybody knows if it would be possible to hack Giulia infotainment to add "performance pages"?
It's a Linux based Genivi platform so, even if I'm not an expert of informatic, I guess that it's not an "armored" system!
What about that?

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Addidng new stuff and fixing known “misses” on Giulia

Hi everybody, do you think that it would be possible to add some "apps" to the Giulia infotainment?
I'll try to explain it better: I can't stand that Giulia dashbord does not show a lot of data about engine's operation. I mean that we can't see water temp, boost pressure, oil temp (in numbers, not in notches), battery voltage and so on.
It would be amazing for me to have on the infotainment something like the "performance pages" charged on Dodge cars.

Does anybody knows if it would be possible to hack Giulia infotainment to add "performance pages"?
It's a Linux based Genivi platform so, even if I'm not an expert of informatic, I guess that it's not an "armored" system!
What about that?
I hear you amico! My interest is primarily focused on the Base Giulia/Ti, and more specifically a Q4 with Ti Performance Package — My Giulia.

My business is in the technology and Cyber security field, and I have some experience previously as a “tester” as it is euphamistically known in engineering circles.

The “misses” on the Giulia are few, but very noticable. AND YES, I’M SHOUTING HERE — FCA PLEASE CONSIDER THESE CODE CHANGES TO THE BASE INFOTAINMENT/CHASSIS CONTROL/ECU(S)/ETC... MY PASSION AND EMOTION WOULD BE ENHANCED, IF YOU WOULD CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING...

I would personally love to see these hacks (by someone)/mods (Ideally MM/FCA):

Hack #1) Either memory for the “Disable Auto Start/Stop” or a default start-up state of disabled. May not have an available, unused bit of flash storage to have last setting memory, so merely toggling startup state would be desirable. Then we could “Enable Auto Start/Stop” if we want it.

Hack #2) Please, oh please, oh please — Disable toggle for ESC and TC, like on the QV.

Hack #3) A setting to enable/disable the driver’s seat auto-retraction on stop+driver door opened. Add to the Settings section, perhaps under Safety. I have actually smooshed kneecaps on my driver-side rear passenger. This could actually be a safety enhancement. Who wants a 3 passenger saloon?

Hack #4) Launch Control for the Base/Ti/Q4.

Hack #5) Dyno mode overrides to help people get performance statistics more easily. Help Eurocompulsion and other tuners have the Base/Ti/Q4 generate max power for testing. Use GPS to confirm the mode is actually being used while stationary. Smurf the ECU map/power out if someone selects this mode while underway.

Hack #6, 7, 8...) Performance Pages, data loggers, peak G-force logging, ...

Alfisti, chime in with your heart’s desires on this thread.

So anyway, I may dust off my Hex-Rays IDA tools and dive in. I love this car so much, with these minor mods (again, IDEALLY FROM FCA) or some ham-fisted hacking, Guilia could be so much more. BMW, Merc and Audi have their cadre of tuners and alt-code available. Why shouldn’t the best four-door saloon have the same?

Happy new year while I am “pining for the fjords”,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So anyway, I may dust off my Hex-Rays IDA tools and dive in. I love this car so much, with these minor mods (again, IDEALLY FROM FCA) or some ham-fisted hacking, Guilia could be so much more. BMW, Merc and Audi have their cadre of tuners and alt-code available. Why shouldn’t the best four-door saloon have the same?
I guess that if we'll wait for FCA to do these mods, we'll be grandparents!!! :crying:
So, let's dust off your Hex-Rays IDA tools and dive!!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I guess that if we'll wait for FCA to do these mods, we'll be grandparents!!! :crying:
So, let's dust off your Hex-Rays IDA tools and dive!!!!
Some of us already are Grandparents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I accidentally came to know, from a member of "Giulia Infotainment Team", that Performance Pages are already ready, since market debut, but I can't know why FCA do not put it on the vehicle! That's incredible!!!:|:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alfa Infotainment TESTING

would love to find out more about this as well... The B#W people have been doing this for years as well. that was a fun learning curve for me (although costly - bricked one unit learning)

even getting the new firmware into the 17 year to 'test' A$$PLE and A$%ROI$. Also integrate DVR and other security stuff. lots of fun you can have with this... really debating about putting the Giulia in the driveway for the wife...

There must be service access or something..

Best to all.

Splinter911

Reactions: rickrd

·
Registered
787 Posts
In a 2014 Mazda 3 you can hack the infotainment system with a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Reactions: greg328

·
Registered
45 Posts
make your own

Get an ELM325 adapter and Download TORQUE app or similar and you can add a few gauges. This will need to be displayed on your phone or a tablet. I have found the Scosche Magnetic Window Mount for Mobile devices (MAGWM2) mounts nicely to the right side of the infotainment screen to give the driver a well placed "second" screen.
As for performance tuning and electronics customization, I have already contacted Cobb Tuning about adding the Giulia to their product line, but they are so far non-committal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get an ELM325 adapter and Download TORQUE app or similar and you can add a few gauges. This will need to be displayed on your phone or a tablet.
I don't think that this would be a suitable solution for a 2017 car!:wink:
I think that it would be much better to use a Raspberry with an OBD dongle and a little lcd screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts