Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,070 Posts
As far as I know you can.
First press the Start button, without pressing the brake pedal. Then if you want to shift to N, press the brake pedal and move gearshifter front or back without holding/pressing the button on the gearshifter... You can also do it by pulling both peddals in non-NAFTA cars...
Have you tried it? As far as I know the transmission needs hydraulic pressure to disengage the parking pawl and you only get hydraulic pressure in the transmission if the engine is running.

This is a huge safety hazard if the engine stalls in traffic, but it seems to be common behavior for all cars with the ZF8 transmission.

·
Registered
543 Posts
So I believe (but cannot be certain) that I just experienced an issue related to using this. Came back to the vehicle after ~14 days of inactivity, worried about it starting on the original 4 year old battery. Car started fine, drove it for 10 minutes, dropped into neutral for a light going maybe 25 mph. Car threw pretty much every code. Service electronic throttle, auto start stop, service engine, etc. Car would rev but barely drive. Limped to a parking lot where it wouldn't shut off or shift into park. I played with the shifter a bit (into and out of manual) and it seemed to then let me shut it off. Restarted and had persistent auto SS and service engine code. Multiecuscan pulled:

U1715-2F Automatic transmission erratic / intermittent
U1714-2F Engine control erratic / intermittent
U1713-2F Engine control erratic /intermittent (in RED, assuming that's worse?)

Codes persist after clearing but car seems to drive ok. Think I need to code it back to stock before brining to the dealer?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
262 Posts
So I believe (but cannot be certain) that I just experienced an issue related to using this. Came back to the vehicle after ~14 days of inactivity, worried about it starting on the original 4 year old battery. Car started fine, drove it for 10 minutes, dropped into neutral for a light going maybe 25 mph. Car threw pretty much every code. Service electronic throttle, auto start stop, service engine, etc. Car would rev but barely drive. Limped to a parking lot where it wouldn't shut off or shift into park. I played with the shifter a bit (into and out of manual) and it seemed to then let me shut it off. Restarted and had persistent auto SS and service engine code. Multiecuscan pulled:

Codes persist after clearing but car seems to drive ok. Think I need to code it back to stock before brining to the dealer?
Odds are pretty good that the battery is low charge.
Throwing a Christmas tree of warning lights and limp mode caused these issues for me. A battery charge cleared it, a new battery cured it.
Regardless, I wouldn't bother trying to switch back the coding as it is not something they would be looking through with the error codes you are showing.
I would suggest hooking up to battery tender or checking battery voltage and go from there.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Same thing happened to me after paddle shift mod, and yes it was battery.
This was first time playing with MES, so I must have spent long time than car expected lol.
My battery was under warranty via Autozone, so I had it replaced for free.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
It sounds like many of you have implemented this change! Can you comment on if it’s affected the stop/start function? Since doing this my car no longer turns off its motor when idling at a light.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
this mod has no effect on how start/stop function works. must be other conditions which aren't met for start/stop to work.

PS some of you were asking about other 2 paddle modes - after testing can tell they don't work. proxi fails on gearbox everytime.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,857 Posts
It sounds like many of you have implemented this change! Can you comment on if it’s affected the stop/start function? Since doing this my car no longer turns off its motor when idling at a light.
After Schmelz replaced the IBS, my car has been 100% functional including Auto Start/Stop. Here is a list of my MES mods currently enabled.

Race Mode
Adaptive Cruise (ACC+)
EU Paddle Shifters Logic
Windows Comfort Opening/Closing not working
After-wipe (extra wipe after normal sprayer sequence)
Adjust TPMS Pressure Thresholds
Disable Seat Belt Chime

·
Registered
192 Posts
Stop/Start still works as intended, however if you have habit stopping in neutral at stop light, and shift into D on green light, sometimes engine decides to stop in that moment which is annoying.
If you are driving as intended staying D whole time, there is no issue.
That's why when I drive my car with shifter fully utilized, I turn off engine stop function.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As many of you know and lament, NAFTA Giulias that have paddle shifters do not have the full functionality seen in non-NAFTA regions. Specifically pulling on both pedals doesn't shift into neutral, and once in neutral pulling on the right paddle doesn't get you back in drive. Thanks to Shpuncik this is no longer how things have to be!!

With MES 4.8 you can switch to the Euro paddle functionality.

Here's how:

1. make sure car battery is FULLY CHARGED
2. turn on car (don't start motor)
3. plug your computer into OBD-2 port using connector
4. Open MES and in the system section chose Body
5. in the control module section then chose CAN setup/PROXI alignment procedure (952)
6. hit connect in the lower right
7. chose Adjustments tab on top right
8. hit <control-alt-C> which will open a window in the center of the screen (see picture).
9. chose byte number 156 (if you select any pair of digits on the left lower corner of the window it displays which byte that is).
10. change byte 156 from 50 to 40.
11. close the window.
12. with PROXI ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE selected at the top of the screen, select execute.
13. follow the steps of changing adapters as requested
14. Unplug the OBD2 adapter.
15. Turn off the vehicle and wait 30 seconds until the dash lights all turn off.
16. Start vehicle
17. Turn steering wheel full lock to left and right.
18. Turn off vehicle again
19. Turn on and all warning lights should be gone
- If not, try turning vehicle off for another 30 seconds, rinse and repeat until clear

At this point you can enjoy the Giulia the way the rest of the world does. Honestly 70% of the way to a manual tranny for me! just being able to shift into neutral effortlessly while coming to a stop alone is worth it as the car stops SO much smoother. Then just tap on the right paddle to fall back into drive!!! Wow! You don't have to be in manual mode to do this either, once you've switched back into drive the car will take care of itself...Oh I'm in love all over again!!

View attachment 126150 View attachment 126151
Is there particular hardware to use? Do you have a link to the software? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll agree on shifting to neutral while driving - you got auto gearbox, why would you want to shift to neutral. coasting won't do any good to your mpg or anything. and programming on modern auto gearboxes is pretty clever. for example you need to be really good driver to beat modern CVT gearbox mpg.
as for the rest of you wishes - it does it all what you want. no matter where your gearbox is pulling both paddles at same time puts into N, pulling [+] puts into D.
Actually coasting probably will help you with the MPG since the computer does it when you use it in the Economy mode....(of course not in Race or Dynamic mode)....although maybe it would not be very safe.
By the way, can you use this feature when the car is still moving???,,,,like going downhill??

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Actually coasting probably will help you with the MPG since the computer does it when you use it in the Economy mode....(of course not in Race or Dynamic mode)....although maybe it would not be very safe.
By the way, can you use this feature when the car is still moving???,,,,like going downhill??
coasting never helped with MPG. as a rule of thumb when coasting fuel is fed to engine.
when you coast in gear fuel supply is cut off above some predefined rpm - usually somewhere above 1200-1800rpm. when drop to this rpm injectors are turned back on prevent engine stalling.

now with modern engines with direct injection logic might differ as in case of A mode. but with modern automatic gearboxes with multiple gears and especially CVT fuel economy already is pretty good.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts