Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
What about finding neutral if the engine is not running? KOEO

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
337 Posts
Nope. The engine has to be running, and your foot has to be on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Nope. The engine has to be running, and your foot has to be on the brake pedal.
Well that is unfortunate. It would be a real bonus, if you could. The inability to (easily) engage N if the engine does not start, or shuts off while driving, could be a terrible problem in certain situations.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,857 Posts
Does anyone know why you NAFTA guys don't get this in the first place? I have always flicked right paddle to select D.(The only problem is when I set off in my wife's VW I often start wipers :D
To be completely truthful, 98% of drivers in the US are fucking dumb as bricks when it comes to understanding how car work. Car start, car go.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
To be completely truthful, 98% of drivers in the US are fucking dumb as bricks when it comes to understanding how car work. Car start, car go.
It includes their driving capabilities as well :) Always amazed when driving in europe how orderly chaotic it is with the limited infrastructure they have.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
357 Posts
As far as I know you can.
First press the Start button, without pressing the brake pedal. Then if you want to shift to N, press the brake pedal and move gearshifter front or back without holding/pressing the button on the gearshifter... You can also do it by pulling both peddals in non-NAFTA cars...

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
262 Posts
Anyone in the DFW who wouldn’t mind trying this on my Stelvio?
In the other forums we were curious to see if it works for us the same as it would for a Giulia.
Not in the DFW area, but can confirm that this does work on the Stelvio.
I just set it up this morning.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I did the change today. Worked perfectly. Blue and grey adapters were needed. No warning lights appeared afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So I’ve been enjoying this a while and the one thing that bothers me is that if you are in manual mode and paddle to neutral, the shifter shifts over to automatic so you are no longer in manual mode. I guess this makes sense as the car needs to choose the storage great to return to: unlike a true manual you can’t pick the gear. Are there any other cars where it drops you into the “right” great but then stays in manual mode?

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,391 Posts
So I’ve been enjoying this a while and the one thing that bothers me is that if you are in manual mode and paddle to neutral, the shifter shifts over to automatic so you are no longer in manual mode. I guess this makes sense as the car needs to choose the storage great to return to: unlike a true manual you can’t pick the gear. Are there any other cars where it drops you into the “right” great but then stays in manual mode?
If you put the car in neutral via the gear stick, can you then move it into the manual position? I've never tried

·
Registered
19 Posts
As many of you know and lament, NAFTA Giulias that have paddle shifters do not have the full functionality seen in non-NAFTA regions. Specifically pulling on both pedals doesn't shift into neutral, and once in neutral pulling on the right paddle doesn't get you back in drive. Thanks to Shpuncik this is no longer how things have to be!!

With MES 4.8 you can switch to the Euro paddle functionality.

Here's how:

1. make sure car battery is FULLY CHARGED
2. turn on car (don't start motor)
3. plug your computer into OBD-2 port using connector
4. Open MES and in the system section chose Body
5. in the control module section then chose CAN setup/PROXI alignment procedure (952)
6. hit connect in the lower right
7. chose Adjustments tab on top right
8. hit <control-alt-C> which will open a window in the center of the screen (see picture).
9. chose byte number 156 (if you select any pair of digits on the left lower corner of the window it displays which byte that is).
10. change byte 156 from 50 to 40.
11. close the window.
12. with PROXI ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE selected at the top of the screen, select execute.
13. follow the steps of changing adapters as requested
14. Unplug the OBD2 adapter.
15. Turn off the vehicle and wait 30 seconds until the dash lights all turn off.
16. Start vehicle
17. Turn steering wheel full lock to left and right.
18. Turn off vehicle again
19. Turn on and all warning lights should be gone
- If not, try turning vehicle off for another 30 seconds, rinse and repeat until clear

At this point you can enjoy the Giulia the way the rest of the world does. Honestly 70% of the way to a manual tranny for me! just being able to shift into neutral effortlessly while coming to a stop alone is worth it as the car stops SO much smoother. Then just tap on the right paddle to fall back into drive!!! Wow! You don't have to be in manual mode to do this either, once you've switched back into drive the car will take care of itself...Oh I'm in love all over again!!

View attachment 126150 View attachment 126151
This is awesome! I’m still learning a lot about cars and my Alfa specifically each day, is this bad for my engine to be going from neutral to drive so frequently with this option?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,857 Posts
This is awesome! I’m still learning a lot about cars and my Alfa specifically each day, is this bad for my engine to be going from neutral to drive so frequently with this option?
nope, doesn't cause any issues... just dont shift into gear while revving.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts