Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know and lament, NAFTA Giulias that have paddle shifters do not have the full functionality seen in non-NAFTA regions. Specifically pulling on both pedals doesn't shift into neutral, and once in neutral pulling on the right paddle doesn't get you back in drive. Thanks to Shpuncik this is no longer how things have to be!!

With MES 4.8 you can switch to the Euro paddle functionality.

Here's how:

1. make sure car battery is FULLY CHARGED
2. turn on car (don't start motor)
3. plug your computer into OBD-2 port using connector
4. Open MES and in the system section chose Body
5. in the control module section then chose CAN setup/PROXI alignment procedure (952)
6. hit connect in the lower right
7. chose Adjustments tab on top right
8. hit <control-alt-C> which will open a window in the center of the screen (see picture).
9. chose byte number 156 (if you select any pair of digits on the left lower corner of the window it displays which byte that is).
10. change byte 156 from 50 to 40.
11. close the window.
12. with PROXI ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE selected at the top of the screen, select execute.
13. follow the steps of changing adapters as requested
14. Unplug the OBD2 adapter.
15. Turn off the vehicle and wait 30 seconds until the dash lights all turn off.
16. Start vehicle
17. Turn steering wheel full lock to left and right.
18. Turn off vehicle again
19. Turn on and all warning lights should be gone
- If not, try turning vehicle off for another 30 seconds, rinse and repeat until clear

At this point you can enjoy the Giulia the way the rest of the world does. Honestly 70% of the way to a manual tranny for me! just being able to shift into neutral effortlessly while coming to a stop alone is worth it as the car stops SO much smoother. Then just tap on the right paddle to fall back into drive!!! Wow! You don't have to be in manual mode to do this either, once you've switched back into drive the car will take care of itself...Oh I'm in love all over again!!

Computer Personal computer Peripheral Laptop Font
Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Screenshot

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Stickied!!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
338 Posts
Holy smoke! I didn't understand that all you had to do was find the "50" byte. I kept on highlighting different pairs of numbers looking for byte 156. I just highlighted "50" and changed it to "40" then did the Proxi alignment and...

Shazam!!! It works! No other warning lights came on the dashboard. I drove around the block, and everything works perfectly! This is so great!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reactions: rumifaizer

·
Registered
641 Posts
As many of you know and lament, NAFTA Giulias that have paddle shifters do not have the full functionality seen in non-NAFTA regions. Specifically pulling on both pedals doesn't shift into neutral, and once in neutral pulling on the right paddle doesn't get you back in drive. Thanks to Shpuncik this is no longer how things have to be!!

With MES 4.8 you can switch to the Euro paddle functionality.

Here's how:

1. make sure car battery is FULLY CHARGED
2. turn on car (don't start motor)
3. plug your computer into OBD-2 port using connector
4. Open MES and in the system section chose Body
5. in the control module section then chose CAN setup/PROXI alignment procedure (952)
6. hit connect in the lower right
7. chose Adjustments tab on top right
8. hit <control-alt-C> which will open a window in the center of the screen (see picture).
9. chose byte number 156 (if you select any pair of digits on the left lower corner of the window it displays which byte that is).
10. change byte 156 from 50 to 40.
11. close the window.
12. with PROXI ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE selected at the top of the screen, select execute.
13. follow the steps of changing adapters as requested and then follow the instructions below which I stole from Jefizz several threads on doing proxi alignment:
  1. Once the PROXI alignment procedure is complete you will need to run a few calibrations to remove the numerous warning lights you more than likely have
  2. Disconnect from the Body module
  3. Connect to the Electric Steering module and view the Steering Angle parameter. Move the steering wheel so the reading is 0°. This can take a while to get exact, be patient. DO NOT TOUCH STEERING WHEEL AFTER THIS
  4. Disconnect from the Electric Steering module
  5. Connect to the ABS module (ABS / Continental ABS MK C1)
    1. Requires 6/gray cable
  6. Select the Adjustments tab and perform the following three procedures:
    1. Reset steering angle (let's get that one out of the way first)
    2. Lateral and longitudinal acceleration sensor calibration
    3. Pressure sensor calibration
  7. Once these are complete, disconnect from the ABS module
  8. Unplug the OBD2 adapter.
  9. Turn off the vehicle and wait 30 seconds until the dash lights all turn off.
  10. Start vehicle
  11. Turn steering wheel full lock to left and right.
  12. Turn off vehicle again
  13. Turn on and all warning lights should be gone
    1. If not, try turning vehicle off for another 30 seconds, rinse and repeat until clear
At this point you can enjoy the Giulia the way the rest of the world does. Honestly 70% of the way to a maual tranny for me! just being able to shift into neutral effortlessly while coming to a stop alone is worth it as the car stops SO much smoother. Then just tap on the right paddle to fall bak into drive!!! Wow! You don't have to be in manual mode to do this either, once you've switched bak into drive the car will take care of itself...O'h I'm in love all over again!!

View attachment 126150 View attachment 126151
You the man!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I love you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hmmm possibly also help with 60ft time? Or not recommended to neutral drop into first by revving to 3k?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@rumifaizer got a link to that hud? Looks pretty nifty!
It was awesome in it’s time. Called a Navdy. No longer available. Did everything through a phone app and a scroll wheel on the steering wheel. navigation, reply to ext messages, play music, etc…. Still fully functional if you have android thanks to a guy named Andrew Leech. If you can find one it’s better than anything currently available.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts