Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add a sub and amp to the base stereo. If installing under rear deck in trunk, the power is nearby. But where is the easiest place to tap into existing speaker wires? There is no sub now, as it has the 8 speaker configuration.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure about that stereo but my Harmon Karden upgraded radio had the stock amp in the trunk and then you could easily tap into the wires there. The ran in a harness down the left side of the car behind the left pillar of the back seat.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Please, please, please do this and then post a DIY.

To my ear, the base system has excellent sound quality at moderate volume but gets pretty awful pretty fast when you crank it up. Would love to hear and feel more bass without the distortion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this system had a sub and amp in the trunk it would be easy, but it does not. Is there a speaker source near or in the trunk with the base 8 speaker configuration? Is it prewired for an amp maybe?

Has anyone tried to do this yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has been covered in other threads, here and on the european forum (alfaowner.com).
Please check them for details (bottom line; not easy or recommended for DIY).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a rectangular black box next to the subwoofer (in Giulias with HK upgrade) and in same place next to subwoofer opening (in cars with base stereo). It has green wires in it. Is this power or speaker wire for the sub? Or is it unrelated wiring? Can't seem to find info on it anywhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a rectangular black box next to the subwoofer (in Giulias with HK upgrade) and in same place next to subwoofer opening (in cars with base stereo). It has green wires in it. Is this power or speaker wire for the sub? Or is it unrelated wiring? Can't seem to find info on it anywhere.
For the base stereo, I believe this is for some antenna. At least that what the module under the plastic says when I pulled it off.

I just ordered an amp and for my car and I'll be attempting to add it using line level input to preamp converter. I'll update the thread after I figure out how to install. Most likely will have to string a speaker wire to the rear speakers and tap into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the base stereo, I believe this is for some antenna. At least that what the module under the plastic says when I pulled it off.

I just ordered an amp and for my car and I'll be attempting to add it using line level input to preamp converter. I'll update the thread after I figure out how to install. Most likely will have to string a speaker wire to the rear speakers and tap into it.

did you ever to this? looking to add a sub to the 8 speaker system. where did you tap into?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ill be honest I took it to my installer. It took him 2 hours to complete the job and tune the system. Ill look and see where he tapped in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ill be honest I took it to my installer. It took him 2 hours to complete the job and tune the system. Ill look and see where he tapped in.

thanks, that would be great. where did he put the amp? can you take pics of your setup? what line out converter did he use?

thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
check details in mine and other posts...there is complete explanation as DIY.

·
Banned
237 Posts
So, I see that there is supposedly a DIY explanation for adding a subwoofer to a base stereo... I can't for the life of me, find it. Could someone please post a link? Thanks!

·
Banned
237 Posts
Yikes... community support for this car is pretty grim... no pics or walks thru on where to interrupt signal and run power for subwoofer?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
Or maybe nobody has the answer to your question for the still fairly new and rare car, so you need to figure it out yourself and post it here.

·
Banned
237 Posts
Thank you for your absolutely useless reply... I standby my statement that the community support for this vehicle is grim, especially if you’re one of its biggest contributors... Sigh.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Thank you for your absolutely useless reply... I standby my statement that the community support for this vehicle is grim, especially if you’re one of its biggest contributors... Sigh.
Perhaps I missed your contributions here? Where are the DIY guides you've submitted? Or are you one of those people that thinks "community support" means other people helping you?

·
Banned
237 Posts
There are multiple threads where users say “do a search, it’s already posted on this forum” ie. barna529 on this very post... yet it’s not there. I’d be happy to share my walk throughs from other forums if you’re interested in lighting system programming and automation.

You two are just the typical long time monitors that feel emboldened by your post count... bark up another tree.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

You two are just the typical long time monitors that feel emboldened by your post count... bark up another tree.
No, you are a typical entitled person, which is "grim", "SMH". "Long term"? I've been here for a whopping year. But I will say that you are the first user I've seen attack the "community" because nobody answered their question in 8 days.

·
Banned
237 Posts
When I see dozens of threads shut down by people saying “do a search”, “it’s already posted here”, maybe you she be more up in arms Mr. Moderator. My vote is to keep the discussion going and get off your high horse. I apologize for using the word “grim”.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
I stand by my statement which was "nobody has the answer to your question" not "do a search". Casting insults because nobody can answer your question is truly meaningless.

In fact, I monitor discussions on this exact subject because I am considering the difficulty of adding a subwoofer to my base audio Giulia. I have not seen any posted information about how to do it and get a good result. The big problem appears to be finding a suitable signal source to route to an amplifier. An also substantial problem is mounting a decent speaker such that it does not disrupt the use of the car. The HK mounting bracket for a 6x9 "subwoofer" is there, but I find it a real stretch to call any 6x9 speaker a subwoofer. Flat 10" subwoofers exist (very $$$), but will they fit and do they sound any good?

Searches take a lot of time and time is money.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts