Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Android Auto, torque pro + elm327 Bluetooth dongle and OBD2AA.

It takes a bit of work. First get torque pro and the Bluetooth bit working. Lots of guides on that so I'll skip that part.

Now to get it displayed on Android auto. Install xda-labs https://labs.xda-developers.com you will need to change a setting on your phone to install from unknown sources.

Once installed launch that xda store and search for ODB2AA and install that app. You again may need to allow installing from this alternate source.

Next launch that app and it will walk you through the setup. Once that is done you will need to get to the android auto setting and tap the name 10 times till it brings up a notification that developer mode is enabled. Now click the settings dots in the top right and go to developer settings and enable unknown sources again.

Now you can open the OBD2AA app and configure the gauges you want displayed. Then just connect to the car. It will launch Android auto. Scroll all the way to the right icon and sent it. Normal it will say return to Alfa Romeo, now it also should include OBD2AA. Click it and you'll have the gauges you selected.

Pardon any odd spelling or grammar errors, typed this out from my phone.

Feel free to ask questions if you need help figuring it out.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the vacuum side of the boost gauge is in psi not inches of mercury, so it looks odd. The developer is aware and looking to correct in software like torque does automatically.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Awesome! Nice work. I was a little bummed the car doesn't natively let you display boost or other values like some other cars. This is a nice alternative

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Uhm, so how do we get Android Auto into our cars??? As far as I know, the 2017 models don't have that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you have a 2017, get a phone holder (vent, cup holder, or dash probably) and just install the android auto app. You can set it to automatically launch Android auto on your phone when the Bluetooth pairs with your car. It's the same interface, but it'll be on your phone screen instead of your infotainment screen. You have to physically connect your phone to the USB port to launch Android auto in the infotainment anyway, so you don't lose out on much by just running it on your phone.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I was at a Cadillac dealer the other day (no, I'm not entertaining getting a Caddy, I was just bored) looking at their top of the line. It has Apple Play And Android Auto both pre-installed in the infotainment center.

If you have a 2017, get a phone holder (vent, cup holder, or dash probably) and just install the android auto app. You can set it to automatically launch Android auto on your phone when the Bluetooth pairs with your car. It's the same interface, but it'll be on your phone screen instead of your infotainment screen. You have to physically connect your phone to the USB port to launch Android auto in the infotainment anyway, so you don't lose out on much by just running it on your phone.
Uhm, so how does this install the Android Auto app into our infotainment center? I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Uhm, so how does this install the Android Auto app into our infotainment center? I'm missing something here.
It doesn't. But you still have Android Auto on a screen right next to the infotainment screen. I guess I don't see how having it on the infotainment screen is such a big advantage.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Cool party trick but way too many hoops to jump through for my taste. Until then I'll continue using OBD Fusion on my iPhone for virtual gauge display. If early 2018 owners ever get CarPlay I'll experiment with it more. Until then....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just beware that any OBDII WiFi/BT dongle and any phone connected to your OBDII port is a potential attack vector for hackers. It's cool to design custom gauges using both standard SAE J1979 and OEM specific/user-defined PIDs. But the same tool can wreak havoc if you don't know what you're doing. My PLX Kiwi 3 dongle has absolutely zero cyber security. If it's plugged into the vehicle and someone else is within radio range they can read/write without my consent. I barely trust developers on Apple's App Store, never mind the sketchy back alley that is the Google Play store or apps from other unverified developers. Who can you really trust these days? Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hmm...

I have the OBDII bluetooth ELM dongle already. And a few different apps on my android phone. And a A/C holder for the phone. I suppose I could install the Android Auto app and check it out. The additional gauges are nice, but I'd rather not have the phone hanging, I just don't like it. I prefer to reserve the OBDII dongle for emergency or diagnostic work.

I'd really prefer to have the ability to modify the software in the Infotainment Center using the hardwired connection without needing to tie my phone into the system just for everyday driving.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
I just gave the XDA install and setup a try. I noticed a few issues on my Moto-Z phone:

It is not possible to setup an XDA login using my phone. It asks for the "reCAPTCHA text" from the image, but no image is provided. I had to create my XDA login using my computer, then return to the phone to login.

OBD2AA is a paid app. The procedure is to first click the price which takes you to Paypal, send payment, then the download icon will appear. All guesswork, no instructions provided on the website.

XDA developers has even less control in place than Apple or Google stores. I would not download anything except on a sacrificial phone with no personal data on it, or unless there are many accounts that the app is good and not malicious. Even then, one person's malicious is another person's highly desired behavior, such as posting your current location somewhere on the web.

I'll give OBD2AA a try in my car later this week when I have a chance to get in my car. Right now it is garaged in a remote location waiting for parts to complete recall UB9 to show up.

In the meantime here is something interesting that my phone did: start Android Auto on the phone while it is not attached to a car. An incoming call switched to speaker phone on its own.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
In the meantime here is something interesting that my phone did: start Android Auto on the phone while it is not attached to a car. An incoming call switched to speaker phone on its own.
Paging the Governator...SkyNet is active!

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Now trying OBD2AA in my currently not drivable car, I see that the instructions for configuring OBD2AA in post 1 are incomplete and somewhat garbled. I followed the instructions that came with OBD2AA and that was complete and worked.

https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/uk.co.boconi.emil.obd2aa

If this link isn't working, just do a search with your favorite search engine for OBD2AA.

There does not seem to be any control of Torque using the car controls. One can turn it on and off, but not change any setting. I did not try it using the phone while AA is active.

·
Registered
86 Posts
cratervanawesome, thanks for posting. Works great but like all these apps everything has to be followed exactly.

Got some calibrating to do, my car made 580+ HP! haha...

alfa_164s, this elm327 is about a year old and works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
My car is finally drivable now. I find that I need to install the OBD dongle before connecting to AA.

First thing to try: display turbo boost. I still haven't installed any tunes. This has very curious behavior, maybe someone could comment:

1) -7mmHg while idling. Where is this vacuum coming from with a MultiAir2 engine? Could my 5600' elevation at the time have something to do with this?

2) +8PSI boost at 1500 RPM, 3-4% uphill at about 55MPH. If this is right, so much for assumptions about the car not having any meaningful boost at low RPMs. I was in A mode at the time.

3) Max +19.5PSI boost in D, 6-8% uphill, revved to the limit via manual shifting and floored. Due to the hill I don't think transient response time was involved. This is at 7000' elevation. I have my winter Nokian tires on, which don't have the best dry pavement traction, but I suspect the traction is sufficient at 70MPH for the tires to not be slipping.

Is it possible that the instrument in the engine reads absolute pressure and these gauge pressure readings are converted? That still does not account for these readings.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Any of you getting somewhat accurate readings on a 2.0 for hp/torque/boost? If so, what settings are you using?

I set weight to 1643kg (awd) + 90kg for me and other junk I have in car. Max boost is at 22.5psi/1.6bar, can't get hp/torque above 215.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can't get mine to display on AA, keeps saying "No new messages during this drive"

Note: Using wireless AA on Limcet device.

Any help???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts