Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Vendor
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you want it you can have it. Just needs to have radar sensor in front lower bumper. ( I have all parts available). Good time to change start button to red one (also stocked).

A little guide of how to install it:

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Well first you need the steering wheel buttons with ACC button EPER part number is: 156130459, Giulia 156122838
also you need to have the front radar and camera, the procedure is the same for the Giulia :)

0. If you don't want to remove the battery power it is best to leave your key away from the car so it doesn't go into standby mode. Also if you car has SGW you will need a few additional steps.

1. You need to remove your steering wheel airbag. There is a clip accessible from the bottom of the airbag with a flat screw driver..you press it with the screw driver and then the airbag should come off. They are cables attached to the airbag so be careful and you also should remove them.

2. Disconnect all cables.

3. Remove steering wheel from the car, will be much easier to work this way. Then unscrew the 3 screws on the back...one behind each buttons panel and one in the bottom of the steering wheel. Then working on the bottom part of the steering wheel you need to detach the plastic cover that looks like aluminum using a a plastic screw driver for clips or something similar BUT becareful not to damage the leather on the steering wheel. They are two big plastic clips almost in the middle of the steering wheel located below the airbag. Carefully detach them.

4. Once you have the plastic cover removed you can remove the buttons. Maybe it is a good idea to install the red start stop button if you want, at this time. Buttons have their own wiring so be careful with that as well. Take your time and don't rush ,it is not a very hard job.

5. Replace buttons with the new ones. Then put everything back together.

6. Connect Multiecuscan to your ABS and check that you have your steering wheel at 0.00degrees

7. Turn on the car without starting the engine, connect Multiecuscan (MES) and go to Proxi alignment.

8. In the part where you see that you have the cruise control enabled...disable it. Go to to adaptive cruise control and enable it.

9. Do the proxi alignment. It is best to use Wifi Cantier interface (meaning latest version of the interface that has both wifi and BT) with MES as ELM327 or other interfaces might fail at some modules.

10. When the proxi alignment finishes you will have error codes in some ECUs and you need adaptation of the ABS ecu. At this point the car is in safety mode and you won't be able to move it!!! Don't freak out. BUT for just in case everything goes to ****, park the car somewhere where it can stay until the tow truck comes.

11. Go to ABS ecu and go to parameters. Check that steering wheel is at 0.00 degress meaning 100% in the center not turn left or right...then go to adjustments and do steering wheel reset.

12. After that do a brake pressure reset.

13. Also do YAW sensors reset.

14. Delete DTCs erros in the ABS unit

15. Switch off the car and wait a few mins.

16. Turn on the car again and go to engine ecu delete DTCs there as well. After the proxi alignment is finished you will have erros in many ecus. (your engine might start to shake a little....don't freak out :) in most cases it doesn't. Thing is that engine is loosing connection to ABS unit, to say it short and some other stuff.

17. After deleting dtc in engine ecu go to all other ecu and delete errors as well.

18. Switch off the car and wait.

19. Turn on the car press the cruise control and acc buttons and look at the display to see if the icons do appear.

20. Find a nice road and with a friend of front of you try the ACC and learn how it works... also read the owners manual before that.

21. Always look at the road ahead and be prepared to brake.

22. Enjoy your rides an be safe

* Only difference i found to the guide was I had to activate ACC+ not just ACC. Otherwise I would get a proxi fail.

[IMG alt="Click image for larger version
Name: 20190403_145532_HDR.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 841.9 KB
ID: 14431"]https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/267-alfa-romeo-stelvio-diy-how/attachment.php?s=11c17566d82d96d2ec01b7cff7b45327&attachmentid=14431&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1554495074[/IMG]
Name: 20190403_150248_HDR.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 722.5 KB
ID: 14433"]https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/267-alfa-romeo-stelvio-diy-how/attachment.php?s=11c17566d82d96d2ec01b7cff7b45327&attachmentid=14433&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1554495086[/IMG]
Name: 20190403_150306_HDR.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 666.0 KB
ID: 14435"]https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/267-alfa-romeo-stelvio-diy-how/attachment.php?s=11c17566d82d96d2ec01b7cff7b45327&attachmentid=14435&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1554495100[/IMG]
Name: 20190403_151722.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 656.8 KB
ID: 14437"]https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/267-alfa-romeo-stelvio-diy-how/attachment.php?s=11c17566d82d96d2ec01b7cff7b45327&attachmentid=14437&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1554495191[/IMG]
Name: 20190403_193505.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 930.8 KB
ID: 14439"]https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/267-alfa-romeo-stelvio-diy-how/attachment.php?s=11c17566d82d96d2ec01b7cff7b45327&attachmentid=14439&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1554495232[/IMG]

Name: 20190403_154956_HDR.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 696.3 KB
ID: 14441"]https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/267-alfa-romeo-stelvio-diy-how/attachment.php?s=11c17566d82d96d2ec01b7cff7b45327&attachmentid=14441&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1554495347[/IMG]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is the website for Multi ECU Scan (MES) CANtieCar. I presume that Cantier is a typo.

I believe the instructions above recommend against attempting to use a generic ELM327 interface for this task.
This one is for a professional purpose to multiple computers. I hope that there is something cheaper, like a single license.

Sent from my MI NOTE LTE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is. It's $50
What I mean is that I didn't found the cantiercar interface to sell, just that multiplexed that is posted at mes website.
Do you know where to buy the interface alone?
Or maybe suggest another interface that could do the job..

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,235 Posts
This one is for a professional purpose to multiple computers. I hope that there is something cheaper, like a single license.

Actually what you get is a single adapter that works for any module in the car. Other adapters require several cables (identified by color) to be able to see all of the modules in the car.

Although the CANtieCar works with multiple computers, it can only be connected to one computer at a time. The license is issued to the adapter rather than to the computer. I doubt that it is a significant advantage to use it with multiple computers. Thus, buy CANtieCar, with no need for adapter cables and no additional license fee or you can buy an ELM327 adapter (ref Amazon or Ebay), a set of adapter cables (probably also on Amazon or Ebay), and an MES single use license. The later is less expensive, but has more parts and may not work depending on what you are programming.

Be warned though, at least for my car, my CANtieCar, and my computer, I often have to try 5-10 times before MES can establish communications with anything in the car.

·
Vendor
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have this one with various adapters:

*** I actually have one of these below in stock if you want it. All you need to do is buy the software. $47.50 plus post.

USB Diagnotic Interface Stardiag CAN327 (FTDI) - CANBUS Interface - New!
Product no.: 1000-101-(0,2kg)
Diagnosis interface for MultiECUScan / AlfaOBD. 100% function. All control devices approachable, also in connection with yellow adapter! With this interface, you have the possibility to read the error memory and delete as well as using graphic functions. Additional modifications of the CAN-BUS diagnosis.

Adapter 16pin ABS/AIRBAG/GEAR/SERVO/CAN
Product no.: 1000-11-(0,2kg)
These are high-quality diagnostic adapter cables for the additional diagnosis of airbag , ABS ,
transmission, power and low-speed CAN systems may be used specifically.
These adapter cables are required for MultiECUScan / AlfaOBD to access to the other systems .

Whole kit without software:

Diagnostic kit StarDIAG "HARDWARE KIT COMPLETE"

Specifications Interface "StarDIAG CAN327":

• High quality interface with OBD-microcontroller (Does not support the KKL-mode)
  • Additional modifications of the CANBUS line guarantee reliable communication with the vehicle
  • Adapted for the diagnosis software MultiECUScan / AlfaOBD.
  • LED for function control and data exchange
  • Short-circuit protected
  • Integrated 16-pole diagnostic connector
  • About 1 meter USB cable
  • Interface suitable for MultiECUScan, AlfaOBD- 100% functional!
  • Access to many control devices such as Engine, ABS, Body Computer, and many more
  • Access to Service / Oil Reset function
Specifications Interface type "StarDIAG K609":

• KKL Interface included 510 Ohm Resistor for better Latency
  • High-quality electronics - by stable communication with the vehicle - less disconnections
  • Short circuit protection
  • Integrated 16-pole diagnostic connector
  • Approximately 1 meter USB cable
  • Compatible with the software MultiECUScan / AlfaOBD
  • Access to many control devices such as Engine, ABS, Airbag and more
Specifications Adapter:

There are 7 adapters included to cover all ECUs of the vehicle with MultiECUScan / AlfaOBD.
These adapters are connected to many control devices between the interface and the diagnostic socket.

The supplied 16/3 adapter is suitable for vehicles of older model years.

Scope of delivery:

• 1x StaDIAG CAN327 USB Interface
  • 1x (FTDI) StarDIAG K609 KKL USB Interface
  • 1x freeware software MultiECUScan
  • 1x freeware software AlfaOBD
  • 1x 16/3 adapters for older vehicles with 3-pin connector
  • 6x colour adapters
  • Access to many more online support for Customer installation instructions, freeware, error codes, help with repairs
  • Free unlimited email support

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a update to this.
I carried out this retrofit a few months ago and it's been working flawlessly.
Giulia was in for some warranty work yesterday and has come back with the cruise control not working.
I imagine they did a proxi allignment and unintentionally disabled it.
I'll have access to my laptop tomorrow so I'll do another proxi allignment and see it it works.
Something to bear in mind if you have carried out this retrofit and then use the dealer for any updates.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,830 Posts
Just a update to this.
Giulia was in for some warranty work yesterday and has come back with the cruise control not working.
I'll have access to my laptop tomorrow so I'll do another proxi allignment and see it it works.
Something to bear in mind if you have carried out this retrofit and then use the dealer for any updates.
Yeah, anytime to mess with the settings they will be reset if the dealer performs a proxi alignment. I believe it's based on the VIN, but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: Paulryanmini

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, anytime to mess with the settings they will be reset if the dealer performs a proxi alignment. I believe it's based on the VIN, but don't quote me on that.
Yes
That seems plausible.
On a different note I'm based in Ireland and my infotainment came back updated to 002.009.061 which I thought was reserved for the Aussie market.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,830 Posts
Yes
That seems plausible.
On a different note I'm based in Ireland and my infotainment came back updated to 002.009.061 which I thought was reserved for the Aussie market.
I'd love to visit Ireland! Maybe in the next few years the wife and I will get there.

I don't think that we can count on any specific version being only reserved for a certain region, as so many people have report anomalies.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Yes, it's based on the original vehicle build sheet...if you add an option and do not add it to the sales code, then anytime someone performs a proxy alignment/ vehicle restore that option will stop working.

if the vehicle was available with that option when new, you could always ask your local dealer to update the sales code for you so that it won't happen the next time someone does a vehicle configuration restore

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,830 Posts
Yes, it's based on the original vehicle build sheet...if you add an option and do not add it to the sales code, then anytime someone performs a proxy alignment that option will stop working.

if the vehicle was available with that option when new, you could always ask your local dealer to update the sales code for you so that it won't happen the next time someone does a vehicle configuration restore
I was going to see if that was an option, cool! I'll need to properly document my updates.

·
Vendor
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a update to this.
You need to remind them that you have it and they should not wipe it out.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I gave up on this install after all the errors after the proxy alignment. Had the dealer reset it to stock...The attached guide is super helpful and gives me the courage to try again. One thing though: I think that if you remove the cover on the blank steering wheel button position where ACC goes, the switch is underneath, and so all you need to do is replace the blank plate with the switch cover from and ACC steering wheel module. Can anyone confirm this?Seems like changing out the whole module is torture....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts