Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a week driving trip in Germany. Originally planned on European delivery of the Porsche Panamera hybrid. Glad I cancelled since the hybrid production has been delayed, otherwise I would have been without a car. I ended up renting a Audi S7- got up to 265kph. Anyways stumbled upon the adaptive cruise control and was quite impressed with it, especially in stop and go traffic. I tried it on the Giulia this morning and it worked adequately. The Audi's felt a little more advanced. Anyways my question is when the car slows down or brakes, does the rear brake lights turn on. If that is not the case I would be worried about the guy behind me rear ending me.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
I've wondered that myself. The Giulia is my third car with ACC, which I found smoother in 'A' mode than in 'N'. One curiosity, according to the digital speedometer it tended to run slightly fast in MPH but slightly slow in KPH. More not weird, but Alfa? Another thing I hadn't encountered previously is speed setting jumping 10 KPH at a time. Sure, cruising at 140 would've been nice, but I'm not that eager to meet a member of the OPP. Lastly, is there a cancel button, or is a toe tap the only alternative to turning the system off?

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
pressing the ACC on button a 2nd time will cancel ACC. The breaktap is the only way to disengage and for a later Resume.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just returned from a week driving trip in Germany. Originally planned on European delivery of the Porsche Panamera hybrid. Glad I cancelled since the hybrid production has been delayed, otherwise I would have been without a car. I ended up renting a Audi S7- got up to 265kph. Anyways stumbled upon the adaptive cruise control and was quite impressed with it, especially in stop and go traffic. I tried it on the Giulia this morning and it worked adequately. The Audi's felt a little more advanced. Anyways my question is when the car slows down or brakes, does the rear brake lights turn on. If that is not the case I would be worried about the guy behind me rear ending me.
If ACC applies the brakes, the rear brake lights come on. If it just coasts, they don't. Just the same as if you were driving.

·
Registered
150 Posts
pressing the ACC on button a 2nd time will cancel ACC. The breaktap is the only way to disengage and for a later Resume.
Pressing ACC when it is on puts it into standby mode and remembers your selected speeed, so you can press Resume. Same as if you pressed the brakes.

Pressing ACC when it is in standby mode turns it off and forgets the selected speed.

At least on my car which is UK spec, it may be different in other countries.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pressing ACC when it is on puts it into standby mode and remembers your selected speeed, so you can press Resume. Same as if you pressed the brakes.

Pressing ACC when it is in standby mode turns it off and forgets the selected speed.

At least on my car which is UK spec, it may be different in other countries.
Thats how it works on mine, 2 ways to standby mode, brakes and 1 press cruse on and off button and it will resume.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I....? Another thing I hadn't encountered previously is speed setting jumping 10 KPH at a time. Sure, cruising at 140 would've been nice, but I'm not that eager to meet a member of the OPP. ......?
1. Full push/pull up/down will adjust it by 5 mph in either direction
2. Slight push/pull up/down will adjust it by 1 mph in either direction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopped using this feature in stop and go traffic. Works great if you are going on a straight line of traffic. However I've noticed that if a car angles in your lane the sensors don't pick it up until possibly you get really close. I got nervous that the Alfa would would not sense the car in front until it was too late. So what's the point if you have to be attentive at all times using this system. Mine as well drive yourself.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had something happen today that was unexpected. I'm in the habit of setting my cruise control in school zones because it's really tedious to maintain a speed under 28 or 29 mph. I had the car in manual shift mode, and it had to come to almost a complete stop because a car in front of me was stopped and waiting to turn left. The adaptive cruise slowed down and nearly came to a complete stop, which is what it was supposed to do. The surprise occurred when the adaptive cruise accelerated the car after the car in front had turned left, because the tachometer went to 5 or 6k before I figured out what was going on. I was in manual mode when the car slowed down, and the car had automatically downshifted to first gear. When it started going again it couldn't up-shift because it was in manual mode. The lesson learned is that its best to always run the car in automatic when using the cruise control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts