Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On March 10 my Quad was involved in a minor accident, not my fault but very upsetting nevertheless. I was hit in the rear driver side corner and therefore it will necessitate a new bumper, rear diffuser and a tail light. Car is at the dealer's body shop going on 3 weeks with all the above parts back ordered and no official ETA. He stated that they are not in the US and already warned me that it may be 4 to 8 weeks before is done. I find this extremely hard to believe. I was wondering if contacting Alfa Cares my be able to speed things up. Prime driving season is almost here.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
They should keep a minimum inventory in the US. It's unacceptable that replacement parts need to be shipped from Europe.
Even so, there's overnight shipping

·
Registered
122 Posts
On March 10 my Quad was involved in a minor accident, not my fault but very upsetting nevertheless. I was hit in the rear driver side corner and therefore it will necessitate a new bumper, rear diffuser and a tail light. Car is at the dealer's body shop going on 3 weeks with all the above parts back ordered and no official ETA. He stated that they are not in the US and already warned me that it may be 4 to 8 weeks before is done. I find this extremely hard to believe. I was wondering if contacting Alfa Cares my be able to speed things up. Prime driving season is almost here.
Cracked the windshield on my QV, was told up to 2 months to get replacement. I do think Alfa needs to have a stateside parts warehouse, 2 month wait is unacceptable.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Par for the course, unfortunately. FCA is really doing a lousy job supporting existing customers with reasonable parts supply. I don't think Alfa Cares has any authority to help speed up the process. You are at the mercy of the system. It seems some stereotypes die hard. Some would say you're not really an Alfa owner if you haven't endured some unnecessary pain due to corporate malfeasance.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yes, I'd say par for the course as well. I had a rear end collision on Jan 20 which, at 9 weeks out, is still not resolved.

I needed a new rear bumper fascia and lower valance; one or both of those took 5 weeks to get the dealer collision shop. Then I waited a week before they could schedule the car in. The repair was pretty quick, two weeks I guess, but after having the car home for a day and seeing it outside of bright, glaring sunlight, I realized it had lousy paint blending and matching in the repaired metal rear quarter, so it went back in last Thursday.

Of course the poor repair, though a dealer job, is not Alfa's fault, but there was a whole fiasco surrounding getting it done which really reflected poorly on the FCA dealer network. Initially, my dealer told me that they could not do the repair as it needed a special paint code which could only be done at their main, or parent, facility some 40 minutes away. I went out there, and the guys, aside from having no idea what kind of car it was, said they couldn't do the repair and recommended me to some unaffiliated body shop. Being a lease car, I wanted the dealer to fix it so that they couldn't give me any grief when turn-in comes 'round, so I went back to my home dealer and demanded some answers from the sales manager. He made some calls and someone changed their mind and my dealer's collision shop decided they could do the repair, so that's where the car is now, getting the repainted area properly "fogged in."

I'm supposing it'll be done (for the second time!) late this week, but considering one of my friends who got caught up in the same accident and had his Honda SUV absolutely creamed-- airbags went off, driver front suspension destroyed, body damage to front end and front quarter-- got his car back perfectly repaired within three weeks, I'm not at all happy about my much simpler repair taking more than 3x as long. It's just a poor performance by Alfa's supply and dealer networks. I mean, you'd think they'd anticipate that the bumper covers would be common repair items and have those things available, wouldn't you?

And mind you, this is all taking place in Ann Arbor, less than an hour from FCA N. American headquarters and the Motor City!

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

I dont know it would work but I do have a spare diffuser (Brand new) for the quad that I could sell. I kept it because I scratched mine on my driveway but if it can help someone get their car back faster let me know.

Again because its insurance though I dont know how it would work out

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Oh man this is hard to read :( Sorry to hear this. I have a bad feeling Alfa North American is trying to do a trapeze act with no net. They are probably trying to save costs by doing this, or the dealers themselves are balking at the costs or work involved and just blowing you off. My touch up paint pen arrived in a Mopar box in just a couple weeks. The delay was in contacting me because they my salesman was I guess the only guy with my info and he left for Vegas about a week after I picked up the car. Good guy but my info was all over the finance department too. Ronnie (boss) wrote me the check for my deposit overage with no issues. The paint came in quickly so I don't know what the deal is with the bumpers. And besides, if insurance is paying for it, why would the dealer balk? Sounds lazy to me.

My Giulia is in the lot here at work, getting some much needed sun :D I'll be jumping in for a ride over lunch in less than 45 minutes :D

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I have a bad feeling Alfa North American is trying to do a trapeze act with no net. They are probably trying to save costs by doing this, or the dealers themselves are balking at the costs or work involved and just blowing you off. The paint came in quickly so I don't know what the deal is with the bumpers. And besides, if insurance is paying for it, why would the dealer balk? Sounds lazy to me.
It's hard to square the situation as "laziness" when at least three owners at three separate shops all get the same wait time on the same item.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...-better-dont-get-into-any-kind-accidents.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm new on the board but it seems contacting Alfa Care can't hurt. Put additional help in your corner. Waiting weeks is not acceptable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know it would work but I do have a spare diffuser (Brand new) for the quad that I could sell. I kept it because I scratched mine on my driveway but if it can help someone get their car back faster let me know.

Again because its insurance though I dont know how it would work out
Thank you for the offer, I did inquired what if I found the parts? He told me that the insurance requires the use of new factory parts (I am sure it is not true but......). The ironic think is that I will be in Rome 3 weeks from now visiting mom and brothers, perhaps I should jut get them and bring them back with me. I did that when I had the 164 Quadrifoglio. Could not find the parts to have a valve job done on it (24 valve motor) so when I was in Italy went to a parts shop and brought everything back. Although a big bumper and diffuser may prove to be a bit bulky.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So sorry to hear that @AlfaGuy. Unfortunately as others have said that estimate is about right. I got rear-ended in my QV on Feb. 12 (2 days after I picked it up) and it is still at the dealer's body shop, and still at least a couple of weeks away from being done (it just went to paint this week).

Getting parts is the big holdup and you should try to get your dealer on that ASAP. I was lucky in that another member on here was at the same shop a few months before me with the same repair, so the dealer had figured out what parts he needed and was able to order them right away before even tearing the car apart. He was telling me that one of the problems he had with the earlier repair (besides the supply chain) was that some parts are only available as part of a larger part, and he spent a ton of time trying to find them before he figured out that ordering the bigger part was the only way to get it.

Good luck with the repairs, and sorry to hear about the accident.

·
Registered
554 Posts
These stories of wrecked Giulias make me want to puke, sorry guys. Just to share my experience with parts, my dealership ordered me a new fuel door. Initially they said it'd be a week, then 2 weeks, then 3 week, then 2 MONTHS... then it suddenly just showed up from Italy, unannounced. Took a month total, but it seemed like the time lines they came up with were bogus. Keep bugging someone about it and good luck.

·
Registered
402 Posts
This is utterly unacceptable. Whoever is in charge of FCA's Alfa supply chain should be fired.

For those who have had the unfortunate accidents, do they at least provide you with a loaner while they wait for the parts to apparently be sent by a 1900's era boat?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Thank you for the offer, I did inquired what if I found the parts? He told me that the insurance requires the use of new factory parts (I am sure it is not true but......). The ironic think is that I will be in Rome 3 weeks from now visiting mom and brothers, perhaps I should jut get them and bring them back with me. I did that when I had the 164 Quadrifoglio. Could not find the parts to have a valve job done on it (24 valve motor) so when I was in Italy went to a parts shop and brought everything back. Although a big bumper and diffuser may prove to be a bit bulky.

For what its worth it is 100% new inn factory packaging

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
This is utterly unacceptable. Whoever is in charge of FCA's Alfa supply chain should be fired.

For those who have had the unfortunate accidents, do they at least provide you with a loaner while they wait for the parts to apparently be sent by a 1900's era boat?
My car only had light damage to the rear quarter body panel and rear bumper fascia, so it was driveable while I waited. That was it’s own special kind of pain, driving around a banged up car!

My dealer body shop does not offer loaners for non-warranty work, so I did not not get one when I dropped the car off for the fix once the parts arrived. I did get one after they attempted to return the car to me with a poorly done paint blend and I asked them to fix it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Loaners for insurance work is really based on your insurance policy and most of those tap out at 20 days

·
Registered
40 Posts
Loaners for insurance work is really based on your insurance policy and most of those tap out at 20 days
I just mentioned this in another thread but when I was hit last year I made the person who hit me's insurance get me a rental car. It was a crappy one but it was something. If you're not at fault for an accident you should not be responsible for finding yourself alternate transportation. If the other driver was uninsured then you'd use your insurance. If you've already filed a claim through your insurance they should work with you and the other insurance to help you.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Reactions: Max

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, everyone,
Thanks so much for your posts. Four weeks after I got my car, my windshield was severely chipped. Luckily, I purchased insurance from the dealership and my $1200 bill was only $300. I only had to wait 3 days for the windshield to arrive and the dealer did an excellent job installing it.

Over a month ago I was rear ended when trying to avoid a tire (?!?) bouncing across the interstate. Not having been in an accident in 27 years, I remembered not to drop off my car at the body shop until the parts had arrived. Again, I was fortunate that they arrived in 6 days. Four days later the body shop called and noted the incorrect bumper arrived and that they re-ordered it (they didn’t check for fit until it was painted and ready to be placed on the vehicle thus the delay in recognizing the bumper didn’t fit). They couldn’t offer any other explanation except that perhaps there was a translation error in ordering the part. I noted this didn’t make sense since they part was a number associated with a specific model, but ok.

One week later the shop calls to say the incorrect bumper arrived again. This time I called the dealer and the parts manager explained there was some sort of mid-year change in the 2018 rear bumper. I expressed my displeasure and the dealer agreed and noted my ticket had been escalated.

After four days of not hearing anything from the dealer, I called the manager. Now it appears that there’s a labor shortage in Italy and who knows when I’ll receive the correct bumper. I tried to contact Alfa Cares but the site is no longer functional (that, in and of itself, speaks volumes). Besides, I’m not sure they could do anything anyway.
I found the Alfa Cares number on Twitter (844-253-2872) and spoke with Ashley. She stated my case will now be expedited and that she’ll be working with the dealership.

Luckily, Geico is allowing me to continue using my rental (going on day 26), but I wanted to post my experience so that others could see yet another example of the poor supply chain associated with this vehicle.

I love driving the car, but never once considered the difficulties related to replacement parts.

Finally, for those who haven’t been in an accident in a while: I was taught to exchange insurance information with all parties involved at the scene. When I tried to do so, the deputy instructed us not to since all that information would be available in the accident report. What he declined to mention was that acquiring that report would cost $5 to pick it up in person or $6.50 to have it sent electronically! I’m not sure if this is only the case in Indiana, but be sure to take a picture of the other’s(s’) insurance card on your own!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts