Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my local dealer finally found the Giulia I wanted. A fully loaded Vulcano black TI sport AWD. After 3 months, I finally have my car. Had I known, I would have ordered. The car was in almost perfect condition with the exception of some dusty looking dirt in between all the little areas they couldn't get with a hose/sponge. Not sure whats that about unless the car was stored in a field somewhere since January.

Initially I didn't feel like the car was as quick as I remembered last so I drove another just to be sure. My head was a swimming with numbers and real life business requirements that I had later that day however the car seemed fine overall and the second car we drove was similar. So we took the car home.

One thing that I finally put my finger on later in the day was the EXTREME acceleration lag. While I hit the gas down, it does go in either mode but takes quite a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to actual accept the change in pedal.

Scenario one: Punch it to the floor, no to little movement for the first second, another second later it starts to slowly pick up speed AND DANGEROUSLY I MIGHT add if I were trying to pull out in front of someone, then BOOM it rockets off and I cant really even shift quick enough because it caught me by surprise several times.

Scenario two, rolling through some turns at a quick pace, punch it to hit a straight away after a turn which I intend to hold for a few seconds then let off the gas completely to glide through the next turn without gas, only to have it delayed in response to my 3/4 pedal push and now I'm jumping off the gas almost immediately once it does finally kick in and going through the turn much slower than I wanted.

Scenario three, punch it from a dead stop to pull out into traffic...3 seconds later or more I'm finally moving quickly but up to that point barely.

I've noticed some posts about this and I see there are mods to correct. In my opinion this is a safety issue. My oldest most beat up car with two flat tires pulls out quicker than this and for the life of me I don't understand how I missed this on 3 separate test drives. Delirium mixed with self induced brainwashing Id imagine.

Is anyone else able to provide guidance as to why the heck this is like this and do I really need to spend on a mod to correct?

Also, another issue I noticed the second and third day of ownership, the car seems to struggle a bit to start and the muffler is quite 'poppy' sounding initially when first started. Afterwards it starts fine.

I should mention I already put 400 miles on the car in 3 days. :) My break in procedure is let er rip and change the oil in another 600.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Have you been buying 91 or 93 octane fuel? Or the cheap stuff?

What DNA mode are you in?
- A Mode has tons of lag. It's part of the design.
- N mode is the so called Natural mode.
- D mode is where all the performance is. Dynamic Mode is the only mode I drive in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

- D mode is where all the performance is. Dynamic Mode is the only mode I drive in.
93 was in it originally, then after a full tank burned from purchase, once again 93 put in it by myself.

D mode, what are these other modes you speak of?

I should add, this occurs in Automatic mode or full manual.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

93 was in it originally, then after a full tank burned from purchase, once again 93 put in it by myself.

D mode, what are these other modes you speak of?

I should add, this occurs in Automatic mode or full manual.
I think you have an issue that the dealer needs to address.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Welcome to the club, it's ****ing annoying, especially in N mode which I usually have for regular driving.
Starting from a full stop is always slow, no matter what. I learned to hit the gas a couple seconds before I actually have to go.
From a low or moderate speed, hitting full throttle will actually give you more delay as the transmission downshifts 2 or 3 gears. If you roll on the throttle you get going sooner, but now you have turbo lag cause you are at 1,200 rpm, and possibly some other nanny at work.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
There is a break in period.

The car automatically shifts into neutral at a full stop. It takes a moment for it to engage before it can accelerate. To override this behavior, 2 foot the pedals and apply just enough throttle to get the engine off of idle. You should be able hold this position for quite a while (disclosure: I have not do so for longer than 2 seconds) and the car will take off rapidly when you release the brake and push the accelerator. This works pretty well in all modes.

Once moving the only lag that I perceive comes from the shift time rather than the engine. In D mode automatic shifts are pretty fast, in D-mode manual you can keep the engine revved up to completely eliminate the lag, but be prepared to get 10-15 MPG; you might not make it to the next gas station. There is a "click" at about 95% of throttle on the pedal that will coax the transmission to downshift faster; this works in all modes. If you don't want full throttle, just hold the click until the transmission downshifts, then back off.

I never get anything like a 3 second lag, even in A from a dead stop without 2 footing the pedals.

It also should be noted that suddenly punching the accelerator all the way to the floor while in first gear apparently "scares" the traction control into cutting back power. Try a more moderate demand to get the best response. Folks who practiced getting the best 0 to 60 MPH time report that 1/2 to 3/4 pedal in 1st is best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Diesel pretty much doesn't have this problem. Quick acceleration at traffic lights: come to a stop. Use electronic handbrake. Relax with both feet off the pedals. Hit the pedal at green. Be happy.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Diesel pretty much doesn't have this problem. Quick acceleration at traffic lights: come to a stop. Use electronic handbrake. Relax with both feet off the pedals. Hit the pedal at green. Be happy.
No diesel Alfas in the North American market though. Also, no 0 to 100KPH in 5.1 seconds with a diesel.

Don't you start with a "bang" by hitting the accelerator pedal while the handbrake is still set? I have not tried that with my 2.0T, but that does seem likely to be a way to override the shift to neutral at a stop behavior since I think it starts putting the transmission back in gear as soon as the foot brake is released.

I presume that shift to neutral at a stop is mandated for fuel economy and/or smog control purposes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you ever driven a car with a turbo before? Just curious...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
If the auto stop is engaged it will lag. but not 3 seconds. That is a problem. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to go for a ride with you. That auto stop is annoying as **** as it shuts the car engine down and it takes a second to get it going then the turbo lag kicks in and the car goes. I have routinely just hit the auto stop off button as part of getting into the car it gets pushed right after the seat belt goes on. The madness autoworks guys have a "go pedal" that connects to your gas pedal and takes away that turbo lag completely. In sport plus mode with the car in dynamic it is scary quick.

what you are describing seems to be something else though. Take it to the dealer and let us know what they said.

BTW, congrats on the car. I have the volcano black color as well. wait to you see her in the sunlight. It looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Have you ever driven a car with a turbo before? Just curious...

My heavier and weaker 03 Ford Escape had an immediate gas response compared to the 1-2 seconds of the Giulia. It’s a delay artificially induced, and for that fact even more irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,193 Posts
My heavier and weaker 03 Ford Escape had an immediate gas response compared to the 1-2 seconds of the Giulia. It’s a delay artificially induced, and for that fact even more irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of vehicles that use a "drive by wire" system have some sort of delay. Whether or not that delay is artificial or not is always going to be a debate. We've seen it in BMW, Audi, Alfa, FIAT, etc. Luckily there are products out there, such as our GOPedal, to combat this issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
S3 was laggier than my S4. QV is even laggier.

On the track it wouldn't be as noticeable as long as you keep the revs up. I would imagine the Giulia uses a larger turbo than some lesser vehicles.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A lot of vehicles that use a "drive by wire" system have some sort of delay. Whether or not that delay is artificial or not is always going to be a debate. We've seen it in BMW, Audi, Alfa, FIAT, etc. Luckily there are products out there, such as our GOPedal, to combat this issue.
I thought the GOPedal rescaled the throttle position to the ECU? If the lag is apparent whether the pedal is floored or 1/2 way, what difference does the GOPedal do for lag?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is this your first turbo car? Because it's mine and I too needed time to get used to the turbo lag. I too have experienced many times, particularly in N mode, where I punch it and it seems to be, like you said, almost dangerously slow until that 2000 rpm mark and then you get thrown into the back of your seat. Now I just almost always drive in D and manual mode to keep the RPMs up when I want to accelerate. And then I'll do a little brake launch if i need to get off the line quickly. I guess if it seems like your car is having issues beyond normal turbo lag then there's always a possibility of an issue with the electronic throttle, but it does sound to me like it's just the turbo lag that's annoying you, as it does most everyone else a lot of the time. Just gotta get used to it I guess.

·
Vendor
1,193 Posts
I thought the GOPedal rescaled the throttle position to the ECU? If the lag is apparent whether the pedal is floored or 1/2 way, what difference does the GOPedal do for lag?
Under normal circumstances, you'll have less turbo lag with higher throttle due to the way a turbo works. So what a GOPedal does is change the "amount" of input the ECU sees when you are on the gas. So with your foot at ~30% throttle the ECU could see ~50% or whatever you want to set it at. More throttle means more exhaust and by increasing the amount of exhaust going through the manifold it will spool the turbo faster thereby decreasing turbo lag.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Under normal circumstances, you'll have less turbo lag with higher throttle due to the way a turbo works. So what a GOPedal does is change the "amount" of input the ECU sees when you are on the gas. So with your foot at ~30% throttle the ECU could see ~50% or whatever you want to set it at. More throttle means more exhaust and by increasing the amount of exhaust going through the manifold it will spool the turbo faster thereby decreasing turbo lag.
Which does absolutely nothing for 0 speed start, which is what the OP is complaining about. That was my point. If you're at 0 speed, and whether the ECU sees 50% throttle or 100% throttle, isn't going to make a bit of difference to how long it takes the car to start moving. And Turbo lag hasn't even entered into the equation in this scenario.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The car overall does have a break-in period. I had the same exact observations when I first got mine, where I almost got hit because I tried to jump into traffic and the car lagged on me for a couple of seconds before it went. I don't have that issue anymore, but then I've done 3 things to my car.

One, I got the Eurocompulsion V2 intake which made a noticeable improvement, but it was still there.

Two, I got lighter wheels (6.4 lbs lighter each than the factory wheels) which made a surprising difference in the performance of the transmission. After installing the wheels, the trans started shifting quicker and smoother. I'm not sure how the shift logic works, but somehow reducing the forward motion resistance caused an improvement in the trans performance. The biggest hangup in acceleration seems to be the transmission and how/when it shifts. When you first accelerate, it tries to shift through the first 3 gears in the first 3 seconds. The lag is the rolling deadspace between shifts. As the car breaks in, that improves quite a bit.

Three, I got the Eurocompulsion Phase 1 tune. This combined with the other two mods, really made the car feel like it came alive. The tune not only added power above 2,500 rpm, it smoothed out the performance overall which included acceleration response.

With regards to the mods, those did make a difference, but since I've had them on the car for months, the improvements have continued as the car has gained miles.

You might want to take your car to the dealer and make sure it has all the latest software updates, but even if it does there will be a break-in period as the car's systems monitor and adjust the overall performance. If you want to improve things right away, for $430 you can get the Euro V2 intake which helped a lot. Even if you don't get any other mods, the intake did the most for smoothing things out.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I agree that things like a performance intake, exhaust, ECU tune, and/or a GoPedal will make a huge difference. I have a performance ECU tune in my Giulia Ti and the turbo lag is much improved.

But, before modding the car, making sure there isn't an actual problem should be looked into. I'd suggest a trip to the local AR dealer. Tell them about your concerns. Drive one of their demo cars as comparison. Ask for their mechanic to drive your car. If something is wrong, let them fix under warranty.

If the car is working properly, then it's more about re-training the driver and getting use to how turbos work.

The turbo in the Giulia 2.0 doesn't start spooling (building pressure; pressure is power) until about 2000 rpm. It's fully spooled between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Unlike a naturally aspirated engine, there is no low-end torque. It does not have instant response. Off-turbo, it's a low compression, small displacement, under-powered engine in a big, heavy car. From about 3,000 RPM on, the turbo forces enough air & fuel (it's actually a direct injection like a diesel) into the combustion chamber to create the power of a naturally aspirated (non-turbo) engine three times the displacement.

Usually we have to wait for the torque converter (automatic transmission) to build hydraulic pressure as well. And then, wait for the tranny to downshift three gears. I'm not going to bring up the auto-start/stop system, which would be even more WAIT.

I usually plan my moves in advance and start rolling on the throttle ahead of time. Quite often I tap the downshift paddle early as well. She's got plenty of power and plenty of response once you learn how to trick her. Like any woman, she has a mind of her own.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts