Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here witnessed a significant amount of lag when trying to abruptly accelerate in the N mode? I noticed with the new update that I had received alleviated a lot of issues BUT when I tried to pick up speed at times to change lanes I didn’t get that instant amount of power to change the lane. A few times already I had to stop myself from changing the lane because I was going to cause an accident

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know what you are talking about.
It feels to me like the car won’t accelerate because the tranny is trying to figure out which gear to downshift into. So it hesitated and your window of opportunity closes.
I’ve had the same thing happen from a dead stop. The tranny is is in 2nd gear and when I press the pedal too far it goes nowhere while it changes to 1st then goes.
If they had asked me, it would always start from a stop in 1st and cruise around 2,200 rpm. That would solve the hesitation problems.

Also: 1st post here so “Hi”.

‘17 (5/17 build) Ti Q4
5,400 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Haven't really thought about it but if I know I want some significant acceleration I just pull the downshift paddle once or twice first. Unless I'm just in highway cruse or dealing with traffic I make good use of the paddles to get the gear I want. But I am coming from only ever owning manual transmissions so the whole idea of letting the car pick the right gear just seems like a bonus for the times when I don't care.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,776 Posts
A quick change of the dial from N to D in preparation usually suffices.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I only drive in D but when the warning light came up I was put in N even though the dial was on D. I could notice the power change. Since I have the intake and exhaust my car pretty much has no lag.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I think my foot is quicker than trying to turn the knob on an auto car. But also doing an abrupt switch is that ok to do on these transmissions?
I'm not sure if the ZF8 in the Ti and the QV are set up the same because of the different power bands on the cars..
but on the rare occasions I drive in N, there is a lag when I go from cruising at a steady speed and when I drop the throttle to overtake...it is slight, not pronounced but clearly felt...as mentioned by @Chipshot a flick of the dial to D cures that slight lag....almost a year with the QV and no issues with the transmission having changed from N to D in motion. I have never gone into R mode while driving however.

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
I only drive in D but when the warning light came up I was put in N even though the dial was on D.
That sounds odd. What indication did you receive that you were in N?

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
The knob will be in D, but the instrument cluster is in N (blue).
Weird. After the knob clicked into D and the display showed red?

While I accept that my car is smarter than I am (no great stretch), I do occasionally want to perform as commanded.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That sounds odd. What indication did you receive that you were in N?
Acceleration was not the same as D, which I'm always in. Then I noticed the blue under that ridiculous mpg indicator.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have done (what I consider to be) extensive comparison between the modes. Here are my anecdotal observations:

A mode - up shifts as quickly as possible, downshifts as slowly as possible and holds the highest gear possible at the lowest RPMs to conserve fuel. Results in a leisurely power delivery and a very smooth ride.

N mode - up shifts at higher RPM than A mode, and when cruising will always up shift to the highest gear possible. Takes less throttle to downshift than A, but when flooring the throttle while already moving, the transmission needs multiple (2-3) downshifts to for max power, aka "a lag" since it is already in the tallest gear possible at any speed.

D mode - up shifts at the highest RPM based on throttle given, downshifts far quicker to raise RPM when decelerating, and does not up shift to the highest possible gear like A or N. Test this by cruising at 50 mph and switching from D to N. You will see that D cruises at a higher RPM even when not accelerating. Shifts seem to be based more on speed and not RPM. As a result, when cruising and flooring the throttle, power comes on quicker since usually only 1-2 downshifts are needed. Obviously, MPG is going to be lowest using D, but you can still come close to mimicking the lower RPM shifts of N while accelerating by keeping a light foot.

This is a small liter, turbo engine with tall gears. Now that I have become used to how it drives compared to my old Infiniti V6, or maybe the car has "learned" from me flooring it a few times, I don't have much of an issue with the "lag". Also, once again, recall the Car and Driver/Motor Trend small luxury sedan comparison, the Giulia was faster in the highway passing test (40 mph to 60 mph) than all other entries in the comparison.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Weird. After the knob clicked into D and the display showed red?

While I accept that my car is smarter than I am (no great stretch), I do occasionally want to perform as commanded.
In my case, this was when the car suffered an auto stop/start error. It only allowed N mode. Once I restarted the car twice, it went away. I suspect this similar to what alfa55 experienced.

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
I have done (what I consider to be) extensive comparison between the modes. Here are my anecdotal observations:

A mode - up shifts as quickly as possible, downshifts as slowly as possible and holds the highest gear possible at the lowest RPMs to conserve fuel. Results in a leisurely power delivery and a very smooth ride.

N mode - up shifts at higher RPM than A mode, and when cruising will always up shift to the highest gear possible. Takes less throttle to downshift than A, but when flooring the throttle while already moving, the transmission needs multiple (2-3) downshifts to for max power, aka "a lag" since it is already in the tallest gear possible at any speed.

D mode - up shifts at the highest RPM based on throttle given, downshifts far quicker to raise RPM when decelerating, and does not up shift to the highest possible gear like A or N. Test this by cruising at 50 mph and switching from D to N. You will see that D cruises at a higher RPM even when not accelerating. Shifts seem to be based more on speed and not RPM. As a result, when cruising and flooring the throttle, power comes on quicker since usually only 1-2 downshifts are needed. Obviously, MPG is going to be lowest using D, but you can still come close to mimicking the lower RPM shifts of N while accelerating by keeping a light foot.

This is a small liter, turbo engine with tall gears. Now that I have become used to how it drives compared to my old Infiniti V6, or maybe the car has "learned" from me flooring it a few times, I don't have much of an issue with the "lag". Also, once again, recall the Car and Driver/Motor Trend small luxury sedan comparison, the Giulia was faster in the highway passing test (40 mph to 60 mph) than all other entries in the comparison.
Good and thorough analysis. Thanks for sharing. My experience is that the transmission will "short shift" in D if driven gently, similar to N but shifting through the gears more quickly. However, the car is at the ready and an authoritative press on the accelerator pedal will produce an immediate and appropriate outcome. I have also noticed that in both N and D lifting off after hard acceleration will result in the engine remaining at high RPM for a few seconds.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good and thorough analysis. Thanks for sharing. My experience is that the transmission will "short shift" in D if driven gently, similar to N but shifting through the gears more quickly. However, the car is at the ready and an authoritative press on the accelerator pedal will produce an immediate and appropriate outcome. I have also noticed that in both N and D lifting off after hard acceleration will result in the engine remaining at high RPM for a few seconds.
Thanks. And I agree with what you said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.