Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the 11 months I've had my Giulia it has spent over 2 of them in shops (a mix of accidents and defects). Most of this time the car is just sitting there waiting for parts and part quotes. The shop told me the Stelvios are even worse with part delays spanning months and outright advised me not to get a Stelvio because of this reason.

How can part availability be so bad on a 2-year old car???

I love the Giulia but I'm done. Once my lease is up I'm not touching another FIAT product again.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
A mix of accidents and defects? Is there a chance these 'defects' occurred after accident repair ...

There is low part availability because the parts are not in demand, because most people aren't having accidents or problems

What specific parts are you looking for? I see you're in the Boston area, which dealer?

·
Registered
443 Posts
A mix of accidents and defects? Is there a chance these 'defects' occurred after accident repair ...

There is low part availability because the parts are not in demand, because most people aren't having accidents or problems

What specific parts are you looking for? I see you're in the Boston area, which dealer?
I think that's part of it - the other part is that it's not a mature manufacturing line with appropriate spare capacity. This isn't abnormal for a brand new car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Whenever the car can be in a drivable state, I've learned to insist that I be allowed to take the car home after the part is ordered. For whatever reason the service centers seem to be required to keep the car until the order is accepted, but at that time you should be able to get it back. And then bring the car in when the part is in.

Unfortunately even with this strategy, one service center ordered the wrong color leather, and then didn’t order all the parts they might need, only the bare minimum, so I still ended up waiting once they took it apart.

7 months for me, 2 months in repairs for a single issue (service center screwups in addressing the defect took most of that).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

1st visit was for a rattling sunroof and check engine light. Windshield cracked during repairs so waited an extra week for a new one from Italy. None were in stock in the US.

2nd visit was for a snow plow that had damaged some of the side panels. They did a great job with the repairs but just getting the price estimate took over a week because Alfas and Maseratis are not in anyone's systems yet so they have to call for price quotes. And there was an extra week for some extra parts from the supplement.

3rd repair was from a close encounter with a deer (luckily not high speed and not a big deer so damage was cosmetic and car was driveable). Just getting the initial cost estimate took over a week, the supplement - another. Repairs took a month and over a week after everything's done we're still waiting for a rocker panel bracket.

Dealer is Kelly Alfa and Kelly Collision in Peabody. The Herb Chambers (the company I leased the card from btw) next door outright refused to give me a repair estimate bc they didn't have the car in their part system.

·
Registered
443 Posts
1st visit was for a rattling sunroof and check engine light. Windshield cracked during repairs so waited an extra week for a new one from Italy. None were in stock in the US.

2nd visit was for a snow plow that had damaged some of the side panels. They did a great job with the repairs but just getting the price estimate took over a week because Alfas and Maseratis are not in anyone's systems yet so they have to call for price quotes. And there was an extra week for some extra parts from the supplement.

3rd repair was from a close encounter with a deer (luckily not high speed and not a big deer so damage was cosmetic and car was driveable). Just getting the initial cost estimate took over a week, the supplement - another. Repairs took a month and over a week after everything's done we're still waiting for a rocker panel bracket.

Dealer is Kelly Alfa and Kelly Collision in Peabody. The Herb Chambers (the company I leased the card from btw) next door outright refused to give me a repair estimate bc they didn't have the car in their part system.
Terrible

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it is one of those actual issues that AR usa should pay more attention too.

again, they are trying to build a positive reputation (we would hope), and instead have people without their cars for long periods of time, for stupid reasons, and you can make all the excuses you want but people remember the story of the aquaintance who was unhappy with their car - and it confirms everything they thought/had heard previously.

·
Registered
443 Posts
it is one of those actual issues that AR usa should pay more attention too.

again, they are trying to build a positive reputation (we would hope), and instead have people without their cars for long periods of time, for stupid reasons, and you can make all the excuses you want but people remember the story of the aquaintance who was unhappy with their car - and it confirms everything they thought/had heard previously.
This. It is an EASY problem to fix. Reduce units off the line by X and it's solved. And X is a pretty darn low number.

This will be a real problem for the brand if they don't figure it out soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's part of it - the other part is that it's not a mature manufacturing line with appropriate spare capacity. This isn't abnormal for a brand new car.
Fair. But then FCA can forget winning over many Audi/BMW/Benz customers, at least not for long.
Again, I love the car and the brand, and I want Alfa to be successful here but the overall experience for me hasn't been big-3-level, while the price is.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Fair. But then FCA can forget winning over many Audi/BMW/Benz customers, at least not for long.
Again, I love the car and the brand, and I want Alfa to be successful here but the overall experience for me hasn't been big-3-level, while the price is.
Oh I totally agree. My statement was an explanation, not a defense.

My last car was a Chevy SS Sedan. Wonderful car but they were getting totaled for damage to a single body panel because part availability was so terrible.

The upside was that eventually this problem will correct for us. On the SS it's only going to get worse as that line has be shuttered.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I mean... If you buy an "exotic" Italian car that's still only on its 2nd model year and sells fairly low volume, you shouldn't be surprised if parts and repairs take a while. I don't expect my local Safelite to carry a Giulia windshield when the techs probably haven't even seen one before.

·
Registered
68 Posts
FWIW, my QV was rear ended. The parts external parts for a rear end repair are showing 1-2 week availability. I was told a bumper would arrive today (4 day delivery), the trunk next Tuesday (7 days), and rear lamps next Weds (8 days).

Quotes on the other hand have been a bit more difficult. Was told the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair?) has nothing in the database for Alfa's so my shop has no idea how much to quote the repair at the moment. Therefore, my adjuster has nothing to approve and therefore, requiring him to visit the shop more often, further delaying the repair.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"distant foreign country"
so Korean, Japanese, British, German, whatever they make anywhere else is an exotic?
unless you happen to live there, in which case they are not.
and a pagani (or alfa) isn't exotic if you live in Italy.

sorry, very poor attempt to be clever.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to hear OP and they do need to step up the supply chain if they want repeat customers. However, this is not far from what I would expect from a lower volume newer model car unfortunately.

Heck, when I purchased a new 2012 A6 it took well over 30 days to get a new windshield after it was cracked - none had been produced for repairs. So, I've seen it happen with other bigger brands.

Hope it gets better going forward for you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FWIW, my QV was rear ended. The parts external parts for a rear end repair are showing 1-2 week availability. I was told a bumper would arrive today (4 day delivery), the trunk next Tuesday (7 days), and rear lamps next Weds (8 days).

Quotes on the other hand have been a bit more difficult. Was told the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair?) has nothing in the database for Alfa's so my shop has no idea how much to quote the repair at the moment. Therefore, my adjuster has nothing to approve and therefore, requiring him to visit the shop more often, further delaying the repair.
Sorry to hear about your QV. My Mercedes got rear-ended 2 weeks after I took delivery by a texting moron in a pickup doing 40+mph.

But yeah, this is sort of my experience too. Maybe I should've rephrased my OP to include more on the quotes. The scary part is the shop said Maseratis that have been on the US market for over a decade now aren't in the database either so have to go through the same thing. I don't buy the "exotic" argument. Ghiblis in Greater Boston are as a common sight as regular 5 series BMWs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ex·ot·ic
iɡˈzädik
adjective
originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.
While technically you're correct, if you open your favorite car shopping website, you'll see that there are just as many Giulias for sale as VW Golf GTIs, at least in the Boston area. I find it hard to call this exotic.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
chupacabra, this is horrible! You got this reaction from Kelly AND Herb Chambers? That is really shocking as I thought Central, being the smaller Alfa shop, would need the most work. I think they were cramped up by the number of things that happened and made a management or service mistake by not being honest with you. Ernie Boch's FoNE could get you Maserati parts no problem. Sure it takes some time but it's not like Ghibli's and QPs haven't been around a while. And Herb has 2 dealerships. I wonder if he even knows this happened? I bet some middle manager tried to cya. I am pretty sure Alfa Romeo stepped in at Central to help them out. It's a huge FCA shop but Alfa needed more support and work needed to be spread out to different people. And Central is on the automile so it was a contrast between high volume FCA models and brand new low volume Alfa. The best thing is to be honest with the customer, and for customers to get their work done before Fridays. The urban stress is too big a factor around here. And the dang roads too ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts