Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Over the years have driven an E90 3-series, Lexus IS, and have had other Bimmers and Porsches in the family. My draw to the Giulia is that it is something unique from the masses and has ultra-quick steering/handling.

I may be leasing a Giulia Ti this week but have a couple reservations about the car/brand.

1) Transmission. When shifting manually from 1st to 2nd gear the vehicle can never get it right. I've experienced this on multiple cars I've test driven. Has anybody else experienced this?

2) A vehicle I test drove developed "engine error" and "start/stop disabled" codes. The reliability of these cars scare me, even for the duration of the lease. Can anybody chime in on this?

3) Dealership network. It's no secret that Alfa dealers tend to feel like Dodge showrooms, not befitting the sexy Italian allure of the brand. This is a tough pill to swallow coming from legacy luxury makes. How has service experience been for you all?

4) I can't seem to find an answer to this from dealers. The base trim pieces in the Ti models....is it plastic, aluminum, or a darker wood? It feels plasticky but it's hard to tell.

I have been hard on BMW for the F30 3-series, but I think the G20 with M sport pkg is a massive improvement and I actually like it better than the Giulia. The 4 cyl feels like a naturally aspirated 6, transmission is flawless, nice noise, steering is tighter, no build quality/dealership issues, etc. However, the Giulia is exceptional in its own right and has an Italian allure I can't resist. Please help sell it home for me! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Over the years have driven an E90 3-series, Lexus IS, and have had other Bimmers and Porsches in the family. My draw to the Giulia is that it is something unique from the masses and has ultra-quick steering/handling.

I may be leasing a Giulia Ti this week but have a couple reservations about the car/brand.

1) Transmission. When shifting manually from 1st to 2nd gear the vehicle can never get it right. I've experienced this on multiple cars I've test driven. Has anybody else experienced this?

2) A vehicle I test drove developed "engine error" and "start/stop disabled" codes. The reliability of these cars scare me, even for the duration of the lease. Can anybody chime in on this?

3) Dealership network. It's no secret that Alfa dealers tend to feel like Dodge showrooms, not befitting the sexy Italian allure of the brand. This is a tough pill to swallow coming from legacy luxury makes. How has service experience been for you all?

4) I can't seem to find an answer to this from dealers. The base trim pieces in the Ti models....is it plastic, aluminum, or a darker wood? It feels plasticky but it's hard to tell.

I have been hard on BMW for the F30 3-series, but I think the G20 with M sport pkg is a massive improvement and I actually like it better than the Giulia. The 4 cyl feels like a naturally aspirated 6, transmission is flawless, nice noise, steering is tighter, no build quality/dealership issues, etc. However, the Giulia is exceptional in its own right and has an Italian allure I can't resist. Please help sell it home for me! Thanks.
l have had 4 BMWs since 2003, 2 Audis and two Giulias. Build quality and reliability are comparable across all 3 brands. The two Alfa/Maserati dealers in my vicinity are both superior to their BMW counterparts, YMMV.

Buy the car that moves you, stay part of the pack, or dare to do something different, but don’t come to a brand forum looking for unbiased input. The Alfa is without any doubt the car that gives me the most pleasure to drive of all that I’ve owned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just recently signed a lease on a 2020 Giulia Ti. Overall, I enjoy the car and it’s always fun to see people’s reaction to the Alfa. Probably the most attention you’ll get in a base model luxury car. To answer a couple of your questions:

1. I definitely experience that. You have to short shift the car a bit. I find that in general that the Giulia thrives off faster driving—through all gears. When trying baby the transmission I just get harsher shifts, but, if I’m driving spiritedly, it’s much smoother and more enjoyable.

2. Can’t really comment. I’ve had my for about 5K miles and have had zero mechanical issues. I was worried about reliability, but that was why I leased.

3. Dealer network will be different everywhere. I found that one dealer in my area has been great, the other, not so much. I do sympathize with the prestige of other brand’s dealerships—BMW’s showroom did feel a lot nicer—but I don’t plan to be there much anyways.

4. Can’t help you there, not too sure.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
247 Posts

I have not experienced this. When you say experienced on multiple cars are you strictly referring to Alfa’s or other manufacturers?

I’ve put over 2500 miles on my Giulia lease in under 2 months. So far no real issues with the car. Just don’t plug the phone in for CarPlay while on a call (car needs full cycle shutdown or CarPlay won’t work - at least with mine). Other than the non-serious CarPlay issue and me being a magnet for gravel from trucks, I have had no issues. Personally, I probably wouldn’t buy the car with the error code thrown, but if it was a software or low battery issue (low batteries mess with these cars and as many sit on lot for a long time they need new batteries when purchased) you may be fine. Biggest thing is check the tire pressure. Many dealers miss deflating the overpressure for transit.

There used to be two groups who sold Alfa’s in Vegas. Currently only one dealership, but that dealers is building a second location in Henderson now. New construction dedicated to Alfa. I see this as a good sign for me. Current dealership was great to work with and service department was extremely eager to please. It can be hit or miss though from what forum says.

I had this same question:

I THINK it is plastic... But oh well, it looks great.

Ultimately this is your call obviously. You will see some bias here as it is a Giulia forum. I come from a BMW 535 and personally could not be happier. Definitely not objectively as “luxurious,” but the interior is still awesome (I prefer the sport orientated one in the Alfa, actually) and the car handles like a dream.

When the Giulia was designed they did the QV first as opposed to BMW doing the 3 Series and then upgrading it to an M. Because of this, even the base model gets a lot of characteristics found on the flagship version of the car. Also note, while the latest M3 has significantly closed the gap... the 5 year old QV still seems to eek out wins from a drivers experience perspective on virtually every professional review coming out.

I don’t think there is a wrong choice here, but there may be a better one. I absolutely love my Giulia and haven’t looked back since making the switch. The car speaks to you in a way that others just don’t... there’s a character to it that is really hard to quantify.

·
Registered
105 Posts
2nd Giulia here. Leased first and then bought a 2018 base sport and just traded up for a 2018 quadrifoglio. The giulias are exciting and engaging to drive. I didn't get that from the new BMWs. The overall quality has improved and mostly minor software bugs which have been fixed with updates.

·
Registered
401 Posts
1) Had the car 2.5 years and never noticed this. When I’m manually shifting I’m driving aggressively, so maybe that’s the reason.
2) Personal experience: Went into limp mode once do to manifold pressure code, pulled over, reset it and haven’t seen it again in a year. O-rings on coolant and oil lines to turbo were leaking. Half day at the dealer and all was good. That’s it.
Quality rankings: Second to last in 3 year JD Power rankings, but what does that really mean since it is based on all repairs and doesn’t include the quality/extent. European rankings after 5 years have Alfa Romeo in the upper half of all cars. All cars are high quality now and I’m not really sure if these rankings mean much any longer.
Opinion on Quality: People overly concerned with quality should by Toyota or Hyundai/Kia. Innovative and performance brands just aren’t going to achieve that quality level, but again they are all very good at this point. My approach, buy something different and fun and don’t fret a repair now and again.
3) Yep it’s a problem, the one I was going to quit doing Alfa. Same philosophy as above, if it matters that much buy something else, otherwise don’t fret it.
4) Pre 2020 it depended on the Ti, Lusso is oak or Walnut I believe the Ti base was oak, (but not sure) and Ti sport was the carbon fiber look. At least with 2021, I believe you can get oak or walnut on any Ti but it’s wood according to the AR site.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello all,

Ok
Hello all,

Look do you feel passion all around for the Alfa? You want to drive the car not the car drive you? What is the problem then you leasing the car so in my opinion you are torturing your self just follow that gut feeling and take the risk. I leased a 2020 TI AWD I have 11700 miles and zero issues I look forward to get in my car I get so many compliments I owned bimmers also they just don’t have and transmit Passion as the Alfa does yes BMWs have issues too i hade quite few but they are great marketing and good ways dealing with costumers at their dealership and service so do your self a big favor get the Alfa and feel the Passion and be a real Petrol head. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your input. I suppose I'd just have to bite the bullet on some of those quabbles. The handling/steering more than make up for the issues when switching gears. Hopefully it would be reliable during the lease period and I only have to go to the dealer for annual service.

On the topic of BMW. I have my whole life to drive BMWs and Porsches. The M2 and 911 are my dream cars. So I am in no rush to get into a 330 lol. A little red Alfa would be fun as a stop-gap to those other cars. The steering is so quick and it seems as close to Ferrari-like steering you can get. That alone makes the Giulia my top choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you all for your input. I suppose I'd just have to bite the bullet on some of those quabbles. The handling/steering more than make up for the issues when switching gears. Hopefully it would be reliable during the lease period and I only have to go to the dealer for annual service.

On the topic of BMW. I have my whole life to drive BMWs and Porsches. The M2 and 911 are my dream cars. So I am in no rush to get into a 330 lol. A little red Alfa would be fun as a stop-gap to those other cars. The steering is so quick and it seems as close to Ferrari-like steering you can get. That alone makes the Giulia my top choice.
Bravo 👏 enjoy and be safe and welcome to the Petrol heads Family very soon. Ciao

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
247 Posts

The Alfa for me was a "follow your heart" move. I couldn't get the car out of my head after the test drive. I did a 2 year lease at 15,000 miles per year and have already put an extra payment away to cover what will most surely be a couple thousand miles over the agreement as I just love driving the car.

After taking the plunge, I have no regrets. I was uncertain for many of the same reasons you listed but speaking for myself... I will be leasing or buying another Alfa when this one is up. The car feels like it has a soul, and like it WANTS to go fast. The only thing missing, IMO, is a manual version here in the US. Yes, the ZF 8HP currently on all the US imported Giulias is a fantastic automatic transmission, but I still wish I could have my cake and eat it too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Once you go Alfa Romeo there is no going back. Go for it, you will never get the smile off your face!

·
Registered
108 Posts

The transmission in the Alfa is ZF8 Hp. It is manufactured ZF.
Many, many cars use the same transmission... B.M.W. uses in several models,
as does Jaguar, Audi, V.W. etc. Look up ZFHP8, and you won't believe all of
the cars that use this transmission and variants of this transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The transmission in the Alfa is ZF8 Hp. It is manufactured ZF.
Many, many cars use the same transmission... B.M.W. uses in several models,
as does Jaguar, Audi, V.W. etc. Look up ZFHP8, and you won't believe all of
the cars that use this transmission and variants of this transmission.
Yes they do but every automaker's engineers tune them differently. The F30 3-series and Cadillac ATS used the same EPS system, yet they felt night and day in use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone that supposedly knows cars does not form an opinion to buy one from a forum. Car is not brand new. It’s not 2016-2017 where there are a lot of unknowns.
There are plenty of buyers on the fence like myself who simply need some convincing/reassurance. Fact remains that Alfa Romeo is a relatively unknown brand in the United States, has a prevailing reputation of spotty reliability, does not have many dealerships, etc. Sure it's no longer 2016, but it is only 2021. There's still a lot of unknowns for buyers coming from established luxury brands.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
There are plenty of buyers on the fence like myself who simply need some convincing/reassurance. Fact remains that Alfa Romeo is a relatively unknown brand in the United States, has a prevailing reputation of spotty reliability, does not have many dealerships, etc. Sure it's no longer 2016, but it is only 2021. There's still a lot of unknowns for buyers coming from established luxury brands.
no one should be convincing anyone how to spend their money. If you rely on the forum for buying opinions then you shouldn’t ignore it’s post on how reliable the car actually is. Other than low voltage battery you will not find many major issues. I baby mine. So I couldn’t comment how it holds up to hard driving. It’s not a Luxory car by any means. If your looking for Luxory it’s pretty low on the pole. If your looking for driving dynamics it’s pretty high on pole. If not number one it’s top 2/3

·
Registered
173 Posts
I mean you are looking at the TI and a lease. What are you worried about?

That is the same 2.0 engine FCA uses across the board really.

Test drive the few you are looking at and buy the one you like the most if its a lease.... Basically all new cars are gonna make it through a lease nearly hassle free unless you get super unlucky. Lemons do happen but they are the odd balls not the norm.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Active Suspension, LSD
1,841 Posts
I was uncertain about the brand due to its relative newness of the platform so leased as well and ill likely buy it out now. The steering and turn-in is absolutely unmatched. Including in my 911. Its the thing that really endears me. The unique styling is the other.

Ill admit i have no interest in BMWs. My last of 5 of them was a 2006 330i with sport pack and it was great but such a pita to work on.

The 911 is a great car...for sure with higher limits than the 2.0l giulia and with much better traction to the drive wheels than the qv. But im not gaga over them either. The steering on 911 gets light in the front (not in effort but in front tire feel) as the rear engine car gets even lighter up front under acceleration. The rear tires absolutely must be porsche N spec tires and the alignment really needs to be perfect or the rear can feel unsettled under cruise and lift. It hunkers down like glue under accel.
The 2014 is350 i had absolutely shocked me how well the chassis was sorted and was a very fin and reliable car to drive but was limited by a very dated engine and a frustratingly slow to downshift transmission. Honestly a great car.

Im not meaning to compare a measly 2.0l giulia to a 911 but honestly, like a spec miata, theres some qualities about these cars that really arent matched by many others in the 1x to 2x price range.

I now lease two of them and with used car values so inflated right now i may very well buy both.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update guys, I ended up pulling the trigger and couldn't be happier. This is a very fun car to drive at any speed while also being refined enough for daily use. Steering is actually quite feedback-rich which is a pleasant and welcome surprise. I only wish the steering was a bit heavier and that B pillar weren't so far forward, but otherwise this is the perfect car for me at this stage of my life.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts