• 2018 red with 39 miles $71850

Votes: 11 84.6%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in love with the QV and want one in my garage. Local dealer has 2 cars and I cannot make up my mind which one is the "smarter" buy. I've driven both, both great, both optioned the same (steel brakes, heated seats, driver assistance package) except the red car has a carbon fiber steering wheel.

2017 Vulcano/Ice interior with Tecnico wheels. This new/untitled car has 1300 miles on it, but according to dealer was "not a demo car". I have no idea what else could have racked up those miles. Priced at $67000. Thoughts: I prefer the looks of ice interior and Tecnico wheels but don't know how concerned I should be about a car with 1300 miles on it.

2018 Rosso Competitione w/black interior and 5-hole wheels. Not much to say here. 39 miles. Priced at $71850

Is a year newer and 1300 fewer miles worth $4850? For some reason I feel like the black car is the responsible choice since it's cheaper and therefore, for a guy like me who buys new cars ever 12-18 months, there is less depreciation to face.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Wow, yeah, if you're going to flip it in 12mos, then keep the ~$5k, probably. Whatever other differences (the '18 probably has CarPlay/AndroidAuto whereas the '17 will not), you can "suffer" through a year of thrilling driving, I'm sure!

You might press for a better explanation of the 1.3k miles, though; if it's a buyback, that'd be a red flag to me. You should be able to pull a CarFax for title info; I'd ask them for that before doing the deal.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You’re the only one that can answer this question. If you’re set on a QV then you can’t really go wrong either way. I’m biased and have a comp red and like it better. The 2017 for a “used” car with over 1k on it and model year older should be cheaper though as the 2018 has a $1600 more expensive paint and the $400 carbon wheel, which is fantastic btw and worth every penny. If you normalize for options differences you’re paying about ~$3000 less for the 2017. It should be over $5000 less if you ask me considering I’ve seen 2017’s for $10k off...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, yeah, if you're going to flip it in 12mos, then keep the ~$5k, probably. Whatever other differences (the '18 probably has CarPlay/AndroidAuto whereas the '17 will not), you can "suffer" through a year of thrilling driving, I'm sure!

You might press for a better explanation of the 1.3k miles, though; if it's a buyback, that'd be a red flag to me. You should be able to pull a CarFax for title info; I'd ask them for that before doing the deal.
That's a good point, will be asking for a Carfax. Although since it's not ever been titled, I don't know how much information is recorded to Carfax.

At this point I am kinda hung up on the Tecnico wheels which I just learned are nearly 5 pounds lighter per wheel. That's insane.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The tecnicios are forged too, lighter stronger and made by Fuchs in Germany so superior in almost every way... but they are just wheels. Tell the dealer you’ll swap your brand new five holes and they can get brand new rubber on the black car and you’ll take the red!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in love with the QV and want one in my garage. Local dealer has 2 cars and I cannot make up my mind which one is the "smarter" buy. I've driven both, both great, both optioned the same (steel brakes, heated seats, driver assistance package) except the red car has a carbon fiber steering wheel.

2017 Vulcano/Ice interior with Tecnico wheels. This new/untitled car has 1300 miles on it, but according to dealer was "not a demo car". I have no idea what else could have racked up those miles. Priced at $67000. Thoughts: I prefer the looks of ice interior and Tecnico wheels but don't know how concerned I should be about a car with 1300 miles on it.

2018 Rosso Competitione w/black interior and 5-hole wheels. Not much to say here. 39 miles. Priced at $71850

Is a year newer and 1300 fewer miles worth $4850? For some reason I feel like the black car is the responsible choice since it's cheaper and therefore, for a guy like me who buys new cars ever 12-18 months, there is less depreciation to face.

Any thoughts?

Ill be honest, 5k are 5k and one is 17 the other 18, if money is no issue id go with the newer one since its also an 18 but in the end go with the one you like the most and forget about eveything else IF MONEY IS NO PROBLEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That's a good point, will be asking for a Carfax. Although since it's not ever been titled, I don't know how much information is recorded to Carfax.

At this point I am kinda hung up on the Tecnico wheels which I just learned are nearly 5 pounds lighter per wheel. That's insane.
Probably an executive car, at least QV's will never be courtesy vehicles. I would squeeze for a couple more thousand off.

Note: you are saying they are optioned out the same so I am assuming the carbon brakes on both and HK which are standard on the 2018 otherwise there is not much difference.

That first year depreciation is the worst. The 2018 is going to be hitting it quickly. If you are going to turn it over than take the lowest hit. The 2017 but ask for a deeper discount.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OP, personally I would not be concerned at all about the ‘17 with 1300 miles. I’ve bought 2 demo cars before (I know you said this wasn’t a demo), 1 was an M3 also with 1300 miles and I never had an issue with either. BMW also gave an extension to the factory warranty on demos so double check if AR does the same. In any case, I’d go with whatever car you like better and if that’s the ‘17, well you get to save some $.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'd like to repose your question "Is a year newer and 1300 fewer miles worth $4850?"

"Is a year older and 1300 more miles worth $4850?"

In my estimation, it's $5K....not $10K and for what you're considering to spend, I would prefer the new car...Especially if I'm going to own it for a protracted period of time....I want to know that it's mine and only mine...As for wheels, that's a matter of personal preference...I ordered my Quad to my liking and for my aesthetic, the 5 hole is THE CLASSIC ALFA WHEEL....As for the 20 lb weight difference....I'll make sure I stay fit and trim and make up the difference that way.....D

Reactions: Greg Stidsen
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.