Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I am noticing something strange with my Giulia Ti -- have any of you who do not viscerally hate the Stop/Start seen something similar to this -->

If the car sits for a day or more, the Stop/Start simply does not work on the first day back in use. I've noticed on weekends with little to no driving, there is NO stop/start function n Monday, it starts working late Tuesday, and then it's normal for Wed-Fri driving. If I go on travel, the wife drives it and says the same thing -- doesn't work one day, starts working the second day. I see the owner's manual says the car will go about 6 miles before even trying (I suspect it's oil temp and not wheel revolutions that control this), but does anyone know the other factors considered in the software? Is it part of any adaptive/learning throttle control? Or is it just something to file under "Charm"?

And yes, I've already had the electronic throttle control RRB applied, car was a Dec 2016 build.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Computer also considers how hard the A/C is working and won?t enable stop/start. There are also several other obscure factors taken into consideration based on state of the engine parameters.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,439 Posts
Also rear defrost?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Condition of the battery is one factor. The manual also says that the feature is inactive "during the first period of use, to initialize the system" - is the car somehow forgetting this?
Also, it is a speed above 6.2 mph that is needed to activate the system, not a distance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Computer also considers how hard the A/C is working and won?t enable stop/start. There are also several other obscure factors taken into consideration based on state of the engine parameters.
So in driving twenty miles, just because it's been more than 24 hours since the last drive, what could POSSIBLY be different in a mechanical system than when you drive it twenty miles after a rest of LESS than 24 hours? After two revolutions everything mechanical is "checked out", and after about 5 minutes, all the fluids and temperatures and voltages are going to be the same. A/C, ambient temp, etc. do not have nearly the impact that MONDAY has. Do you know of a list of those "other parameters"? It's not a big issue in practice, but in principle, there's a subsystem in the car that appears to have erratic behavior and that's never good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On modern cars battery drain is an issue, so doing for instance only short stints while using electric accessories such as heated seats and rear window, the system can also recognize some patterns in the driving style, which could lead to an insufficient battery tension. In such case the system disables the start/stop function allowing to fully load the battery. In general, there's nothing to worry about, like already mentioned, there plenty of other parameter taken into consideration, also cabin and outside differential temperature.

·
Registered
103 Posts
FWIW - Auto Stop/Start has not worked for me since my last service (3 weeks).

No error codes either on the cluster or through OBD;
Battery voltage 14.6 (OBD);
AC and rear defrost off;

Maybe it is a result of the latest ECU flash, but I can't get a definitive answer from Alfa or service guys.

Also noticed that speed limiter ALWAYS resets to OFF on engine start, so use as a 'valet' mode is impossible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As I posted earlier, Stop/Start has not worked for me for several weeks.
Well, today, I filled 'er up, reset all the trip odometers, and Stop/Start started working immediately upon leaving the station???

So, I may conclude that the last service (with some ECU updates) suppressed Stop/Start until the next fill-up.
How bizarre.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got my Giulia back from it's yearly service and ECU reflash and the next day I get a "stop/start not available" warning light. This is the best screw up as a result of a service that I've ever experienced! I mentioned it to Alfa during their post service review questionnaire but I'm certainly NOT taking it back for repair. It was annoying to have to turn that **** thing off every time I drove the car. The warning light I can easily ignore!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I got my Giulia back from it's yearly service and ECU reflash and the next day I get a "stop/start not available" warning light. This is the best screw up as a result of a service that I've ever experienced! I mentioned it to Alfa during their post service review questionnaire but I'm certainly NOT taking it back for repair. It was annoying to have to turn that **** thing off every time I drove the car. The warning light I can easily ignore!
Careful,

That warning shows up if your hood is not fully secured. May want to check that the techs fully secured the hood after their work was done before getting too enthusiastic. Latches are on the far sides of the hood as opposed to a single center one.

Reactions: PNW_Giulia_Owner

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Folks, I am noticing something strange with my Giulia Ti -- have any of you who do not viscerally hate the Stop/Start seen something similar to this -->

If the car sits for a day or more, the Stop/Start simply does not work on the first day back in use. I've noticed on weekends with little to no driving, there is NO stop/start function n Monday, it starts working late Tuesday, and then it's normal for Wed-Fri driving. If I go on travel, the wife drives it and says the same thing -- doesn't work one day, starts working the second day. I see the owner's manual says the car will go about 6 miles before even trying (I suspect it's oil temp and not wheel revolutions that control this), but does anyone know the other factors considered in the software? Is it part of any adaptive/learning throttle control? Or is it just something to file under "Charm"?

And yes, I've already had the electronic throttle control RRB applied, car was a Dec 2016 build.
You are in my area and the start / stop started not engaging on mine as soon as the heat kicked up. Then I took it to Bill Luke for a check and I did have a remote start circuit error (remote start was finicky also) so I thought Yeh...time for a new battery. Battery was fine fixed the remote start and the start / stop was engaging but on ACC on it doesn't engage on mine all the time. Strange thing is sometimes it does and it could be that it works after a longer drive even with the air on auto but only if the car has been running for a while. So if it still is happening after the summer and it cools down I will revisit it with Bill Luke. But I would not be concerned if nothing else other than that is not kicking on.

If you are under the 1 year delivery I would take it to the dealer if you have time. Reason: if later on it results in a battery issue that wasn't showing issues at least you can go back and reference this as an early warning sign. My battery was tested and in good health.

·
Registered
553 Posts

I don't have that problem at all, even if the car sits for 3 days.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Careful,

That warning shows up if your hood is not fully secured. May want to check that the techs fully secured the hood after their work was done before getting too enthusiastic. Latches are on the far sides of the hood as opposed to a single center one.
Good point! I've read how disabling that sender eliminates the light.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are under the 1 year delivery I would take it to the dealer if you have time. Reason: if later on it results in a battery issue that wasn't showing issues at least you can go back and reference this as an early warning sign. My battery was tested and in good health.
I mentioned it to them, and they could find nothing wrong with the system. When I check my battery on a "non-performing day, it has 12.35-12.43 volts at rest, and on days that it works, it has 12.5 or more. So I've decided I have no issue, just a battery in a hot climate and an electronic monitor that works as designed ... lucky me :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
You know now that i read this i noticed last time i drove mine it didn’t work. Prior to that I hadn’t driven it for a few days. I drove it 2 days in a row and it didn’t engage on ether day. I will let it sit and try it again the drive 5 days in a row see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the same error message the second I rolled off the lot, took it to the dealer the next day and they checked everything and it was all normal, they said that when its too hot or too cold outside and if the AC or heater is on or if you are on a steep incline or decline the Auto Star Stop function will not be available and you will need to get out of those certain circumstances and restart the car and the error should go away. Honestly I hate the auto stop start feature so you're not missing out on anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts