Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat longwinded/venting, skip to end for TLDR. Also sorry if it's in the wrong forum, I'm new here.

So the story goes:

Last Saturday (1/8) I traded in a 2019 Tacoma, 38k miles, out of warranty, on a virtually equal trade. 2020 CPO (36mo, 100k warranty remaining) with 13k on it, base model with a few options.
Nice, easy 20min drive home from the dealership in moderate traffic and got 32mpg, I'm pumped.

Sunday go for a couple short drives to store/whatever. Have a little more fun with the car, dynamic mode and manual the whole time. Pop the hood to peep the engine for the first time, send my buddy a pic. All is well.

Monday morning start the car to go get coffee and get a rough idle, CEL, service ETC, auto start/stop disabled. Cool. Restart the car a couple times, rough idle goes away but CEL, auto start/stop error remain and car is in limp mode. Open/close the hood a few times, no luck. Read through 10 or so threads on here & eventually to unplug the battery for 15 mins to reset. Plug back & and she lights up like a Christmas tree. Do the wheel thing, start button on/off 10x, and everything goes away. SWEET. No codes at AutoZone either.
Heard it could be from the hood not latched properly, so I'll blame that for now.

Tuesday, drive the car like a degenerate on my favorite roads. I'm in love. Handles amazing, great acceleration, super fun. All is well again.

Wednesday, today, I get in the car to go get lunch. Barely get down the street when a warning pops up. Low driver rear tire at 10psi... F%*K. Get out of the car and sure enough there's a bent nail head sticking out. Get home, fill it up. About 30mins ago I go to Tire Choice down the road & guy said he was too busy to check it (seriously?) and scheduled me for 10am tomorrow.

Side note:
Finance guy at the dealership 3 days ago "Hey do you want the tire warranty? The run flats are pretty expensive around $300-400 each". My response "Nah I'm good. I'll probably just replace with non-run flats if one goes down"

So now I suppose I'm faced with a few options as it seems these Pirelli tires aren't patchable:
1. Just replace the one tire
2. Replace all 4 with new run flats (same ones?)
3. Replace all 4 with non-run flats - I have a good compressor & plug kit already from my time with the Tacoma (necessity for off roading)

Any suggestions/experience here? I'm assuming the tires have 13k on them so they may be getting close to EOL anyway based on what I've seen on these forums.
I've read through a bunch of the tire threads and I'm conflicted. As mentioned above, I wanted to get away from the run flats, but also it was nice being able to drive to the tire shop & I now understand the benefits of run flats more, so I'm 50/50.

TLDR:
  • day 1 new (to me) car!
  • day 2 great
  • day 3 rough idle, check engine light, etc.
  • day 4 back to normal/fun drive
  • day 5 nail in tire
  • see above for tire question, if you care to help haha

Last note:
I have a YT channel where I did videos modding/off roading the Tacoma. I suppose this story will make for decent content as I transition to Alfa stuff since people on YT love to watch you suffer haha

·
Registered
364 Posts
Welcome to the family. I recommend getting non run flats if you want a more comfortable ride but it does give up a little bit of the responsiveness. Personally I went with continental DWS06 tires and for me they are great (but I wanted more comfort over every bit of handling)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I got 26k on my original tires so you may want to consider option 4 which is to call Tire Rack and order the same tire and ask them to shave it down to match the same treadwear as the others.

I switched to non run flats but you can research that decision for yourself later.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
906 Posts
Damn, that's a bummer on the tire and not great on the codes. Tire wise, if you can afford it may be best to bite the bullet now and just slap the tires you want on the car. At least you have a very valid excuse for the expense.

Regarding the rough idle and CEL... If I were you I would not clear it myself if it comes up again. Hopefully it does not!!! But if it does, get it to the dealer. You are still in that time where you are a new customer and even with CPO they will make it a priority to help you now vs later. Also... It's best to build a record on any issues with the vehicle for any problems you may have further down the road. Unplugging the battery will clear any codes stored so they will not be able to access the history, but again... Hopefully no more problems!!

Welcome to the family, and to the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge here and a lot of Alfisti support. It's a super lax forum too where, for the most part, "big boy rules" come into play which is nice. I think you've already realized that whatever bullshit you deal with for the car... It's well worth it! Driving it like you stole is is probably helping too, to be honest.

Reactions: Glenn and colo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the family. I recommend getting non run flats if you want a more comfortable ride but it does give up a little bit of the responsiveness. Personally I went with continental DWS06 tires and for me they are great (but I wanted more comfort over every bit of handling)
I was looking at those as I'm a big fan of TheStraightPipes on YouTube and they're sponsored by them so I get a lot of exposure to it. They also did really well in the Tire Rack testing from what I've seen.

I got 26k on my original tires so you may want to consider option 4 which is to call Tire Rack and order the same tire and ask them to shave it down to match the same treadwear as the others.

I switched to non run flats but you can research that decision for yourself later.
My runflats went 14k miles. Now running Michelin as3+ and the car is transformed.

This is the type of range I've seen between owners on here. Some near 15k some near 30k.. I suppose I'll see what Tire Choice thinks as far as the life left on the tires. They seem okay to me.

Had no idea Tire Rack would shave a tire down like that lol almost hurts to think you buy a new tire just to wear it down. Probably rather bite the bullet & order a new set at that point.

Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, that's a bummer on the tire and not great on the codes. Tire wise, if you can afford it may be best to bite the bullet now and just slap the tires you want on the car. At least you have a very valid excuse for the expense.

Regarding the rough idle and CEL... If I were you I would not clear it myself if it comes up again. Hopefully it does not!!! But if it does, get it to the dealer. You are still in that time where you are a new customer and even with CPO they will make it a priority to help you now vs later. Also... It's best to build a record on any issues with the vehicle for any problems you may have further down the road. Unplugging the battery will clear any codes stored so they will not be able to access the history, but again... Hopefully no more problems!!

Welcome to the family, and to the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge here and a lot of Alfisti support. It's a super lax forum too where, for the most part, "big boy rules" come into play which is nice. I think you've already realized that whatever bullshit you deal with for the car... It's well worth it! Driving it like you stole is is probably helping too, to be honest.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't have cleared it if the rough idle didn't resolve. If I remember correctly, it went away either after the first restart or second. Just seemed like a misfiring cylinder to me and figured that the computer worked it out.

Anyway, I have a new, working code reader now so if it happens again I'll run the code & take it to the dealership for sure. I mentioned it to the dealership when I went to pick up a second key & they said basically the same - take it in if it happens again but with no light there's no code.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
292 Posts
I run these tires on the Alfa and my Challenger. They are awesome all season tires.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues, so early in your ownership too...

The cel/limp mode/start-stop issues I reckon we've all had at some point, and, so long as all else is good, is most likely to be the battery being low. Shouldn't be for a 2020, but you never know what life it had before you. Seems like you have sorted it anyhow.

As regards the tyre, I had a similar experience 4 years ago after destroying an almost brand new run flat in a rather large pothole at high speed. Shredded sidewall but it remained inflated!!

Wasn't near home so limped to the nearest town where they put a Conti replacement on (Pirelli haven't discovered this town yet :unsure: ).

I cannot say I can feel any unusual behaviour from the car having a Conti on the front left and Pirelli on the right. Handling and road holding is more than good enough for my (usuallly) sedate driving style, but even the occasional spirited moments she sticks to the road like on rails. I appreciate the purists might suggest there must be a difference but I'm not one of those.

Lastly, in my mind, runflats are a must. I've written on this forum that run flats saved our lives. The very incident to which I refer is the case in point. We'd have rolled (multiple times probably) into the scenery had we been in any vehicle with normal tyres...

In summary, I'd buy just the one tyre and it'd be a runflat...

Welcome and hope you have better luck going forward...(y):cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear of your issues, so early in your ownership too...

The cel/limp mode/start-stop issues I reckon we've all had at some point, and, so long as all else is good, is most likely to be the battery being low. Shouldn't be for a 2020, but you never know what life it had before you. Seems like you have sorted it anyhow.

As regards the tyre, I had a similar experience 4 years ago after destroying an almost brand new run flat in a rather large pothole at high speed. Shredded sidewall but it remained inflated!!

Wasn't near home so limped to the nearest town where they put a Conti replacement on (Pirelli haven't discovered this town yet :unsure: ).

I cannot say I can feel any unusual behaviour from the car having a Conti on the front left and Pirelli on the right. Handling and road holding is more than good enough for my (usuallly) sedate driving style, but even the occasional spirited moments she sticks to the road like on rails. I appreciate the purists might suggest there must be a difference but I'm not one of those.

Lastly, in my mind, runflats are a must. I've written on this forum that run flats saved our lives. The very incident to which I refer is the case in point. We'd have rolled (multiple times probably) into the scenery had we been in any vehicle with normal tyres...

In summary, I'd buy just the one tyre and it'd be a runflat...

Welcome and hope you have better luck going forward...(y):cool:
Thanks for the story! I’ll have to see if the tire is available but it does seem like a good option.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Thanks for the story! I’ll have to see if the tire is available but it does seem like a good option.
There are also plenty of people that have had RFTs patched/plugged even if the manufacturer does not recommend. As long as it’s not close to the sidewall and the car wasn’t driven long enough to compromise the tire structure it should be possible.

Reactions: colo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are also plenty of people that have had RFTs patched/plugged even if the manufacturer does not recommend. As long as it’s not close to the sidewall and the car wasn’t driven long enough to compromise the tire structure it should be possible.
I'll keep that in mind. It's definitely in a patchable area inside the first "deep" tread on the tire. I drove it less than 1/4 mile on 10psi and then roughly a mile to the tire place & back at 20psi, so I think I'm good there as well.

However, I briefly spoke to the tire guy & he mentioned they won't do it if the fine print on tire specifically says not to, so I'll just go with it if that's the case. If he can't patch it I'll do a little more research and see what exactly I want to put on the car.

Luckily I'm working from home still so I don't NEED to drive the car, I just WANT to haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Tire Choice won't patch them so I had them look at all the tires and come to find out they're staggered.. 225/40R19 front and 255/35R19 rears. Not sure how the heck I didn't notice this.

Front tires were virtually new, rear tires were getting somewhat close to the wear bar so I just had him replace both rears for $720 installed

Here's to hoping I can get them all worn down somewhat equally and can replace the whole set together... seems like a pipe dream haha but we'll see

·
Registered
18 Posts
'19 TiSport here; have had random stretches of CEL/nostopstartt/all lights/limp node attacks; couple of times to dealer, ok for a while then recur --- right now, keeping fingers crossed, it's been nearly 9 months without incidence, and that's a wonderful feeling since love everything about this car. I have 19K right now and have had 3 tires puncture separately within first 12 months, all covered by wheel/tire insurance (if i remember, was $900, so well worth it); treads were getting near wear limit, so I think somewhere around 15K expected life sounds correct. I would stay with run flats. My 3 year lease coming up in June so will have to make a decision; but, will most likely stay with Alfa.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the misfortune continues.

Car was at the tire place ALL day. Apparently their supplier sent the wrong tires & they didn’t get it all done until 5:30ish

Dude charged me for an alignment I didn’t ask for, but whatever.

Go to drive home, first straight road I’m on I notice the steering wheel is turned about 30 degrees left, car is going straight but pulling hard right.

Place was closing so I called to tell them & they said they’ll get it fixed in the morning…
This is why I didn’t want them to touch the alignment lol

Fun times

·
Registered
695 Posts
Oh man I feel your pain, especially when its not the cars fault, but a shop that you're suppose to "trust"! Regardless, Congrats on your switchover, Love the Tacomas, great trucks! Hope you have better luck with the Alfa going forward, and post up some pictures, we are all looking forward to seeing more Alfas!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
864 Posts
Wow you could've patched it for $3 somewhere. There's lots of posts about people patching. I definitely was able to do it once.

Second time it was a cut on the sidewall so no.

But $720 is awful close to a full set of Michelins

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh man I feel your pain, especially when its not the cars fault, but a shop that you're suppose to "trust"! Regardless, Congrats on your switchover, Love the Tacomas, great trucks! Hope you have better luck with the Alfa going forward, and post up some pictures, we are all looking forward to seeing more Alfas!
Thanks! Haven’t gotten a chance to go out & shoot any due to all this craziness but I’ll post some when I do lol

Wow you could've patched it for $3 somewhere. There's lots of posts about people patching. I definitely was able to do it once.

Second time it was a cut on the sidewall so no.

But $720 is awful close to a full set of Michelins
Yeah I called like 3 places and nobody was willing to patch it unfortunately

Is what it is I guess

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
864 Posts
Wow that's nuts. I've heard that but ive had good luck at multiple places w run flats and patching. Maybe yours was in a bad spot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow that's nuts. I've heard that but ive had good luck at multiple places w run flats and patching. Maybe yours was in a bad spot
I think the location was fine, but the shop didn’t have full confidence they could patch & remount without damaging the tire and didn’t wanna take the liability.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts