Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trip to Seattle for my sisters Graduation for getting her Business Management degree.

Following them home through the streets of Seattle. Blind left turn fro. A stop that did not end well. SUV hit left rear passenger door/tire and spun me hard enough into the curb to shatter the right rear wheel. Rotor in pieces as well. 25MPH??? Everyone that saw the SUV states he was going much faster than the 25mph speed limit.

Either way it sucks.

Good news is that everyone is ok with no injuries.

Now the long painful path to repair (hopefully).

I called the Seatle AR dealer and the gave me contact info for the body shop they use, Metro Auto Rebuild. Dealer will handle all parts ordering and anything mechanical.

I just hope that all ends well and I can be back on the road soon or most of my summer road trips are out the window.

A reminder to all, be safe, drive safe, you never know what's around the next corner.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Oh man that sucks. The speed is important but the SUV’s mass vs the Guilia is going to be the big issue with how much of the bad end of the impact you’re gonna get. As long as everyone involved is ok that’s the really important thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bet it wasn't a Stelvio! I vote to paint SUV's yellow (except Stelvios, of course) to complete the school bus look.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it sucks big time
I notice a silverado and a blazer in your list, so I'll guess you understand the problem was the driver, not the vehicle.

4 months of waiting, 3 driving, I hope the parts show up quick.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Make sure you do whatever needs to be done to get diminished value as part of your claim. No matter how well the car is repaired, a repair will show up on the car fax and you'll feel it at trade in, if you trade it in at some point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For your sake, take try to get the car totaled - make sure the quote is at a reliable dealer approved body shop, make sure the (new) replacement parts are priced out, make sure the diminished value is part of the compensation. Do all the doors open? If not, that usually means frame damage.

It will never be the same car. Best to move on to another one.

Something else to look out for: Often times, the body shop low balls the quote and then comes back to the insurance company for more money half-way through the job.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. All the doors open except the one that was hit, didn't try it. Trunk opens and closes like normal. The question will be what is damaged on the suspension and under the car as the worst impact was from hiting the curb and shattering the wheel.

I will have to ask USAA about the deminished value claim.

I will be sending it to the recommended shop that Alfa Romeo of Seattle uses. They are a Ferrari and Maseriti dealer also.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut and FNM

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
So sorry this happened to you! The good news is everybody is okay; cars can be replaced, family members can't. The other good news is apparently the Giulia does it's job to protect the occupants in a collision. It did get the highest safety rating which it seems is for real. Glad you were in a car that did that for you!

I know the computerized repair shops have those rigs that can straighten out a chassis back to factory specs, but so many other things are involved in a collision that it will never be the same no matter what they do. Besides all that, you'll always know what happened. Hopefully this will resolve in you getting a new car to your specs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It will never be the same car. Best to move on to another one.
I thought the same thing after my Quadrifoglio was rear ended, hard, and sustained north of $38,000 in damage. But the body shop, an Alfa dealer, did an absolutely amazing job, of restoring it, and the car drives as well as ever. Of course every situation is different, but I think the most important factor is who does the work. Choose your body shop carefully!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the incident but glad no one was hurt. Hopefully it all works out with the car but things could have been worse from what you described. Best of luck with everything and look forward to positive updates. Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
869 Posts
USAA has paid me for diminished value in the past - so I know they used to have it.

Glad everyone is ok. Good luck in the repairs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far the body shop has been great with communications and working with both USAA and the Dealer. Insurance Adjusted completed the first part of the estimate with the body shop and dealer and now is just waiting for a tear down to confirm cost/parts.

Sounds like most of the damage is going to be to the rear suspension and it will likely be just about all replaced including possibly the sub frame.

First Pic is where the Four Runner hit me. The 2nd is the result of my forward momentum and the rear of the car being hit slamming me side ways into the curb on the opposite side. That hit to the curb is what hurt. If the street was wider and I didn't hit the curb I might have been able to still drive the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Don't you dare go anywhere close to blaming yourself. Bozo hit you. Their fault. Period. Heck, what if the road had broad shoulders rather than a curb?

I'm a bit surprised at how the wheel broke. I've never seen anything like that (maybe I should get out more often). I wonder whether it has to do with its crystalline structure. Or perhaps it simply hit "just right".

Anyway, I'm glad you're OK and hope you have your Giulia back soon in perfect condition.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't you dare go anywhere close to blaming yourself. Bozo hit you. Their fault. Period. Heck, what if the road had broad shoulders rather than a curb?

I'm a bit surprised at how the wheel broke. I've never seen anything like that (maybe I should get out more often). I wonder whether it has to do with its crystalline structure. Or perhaps it simply hit "just right".

Anyway, I'm glad you're OK and hope you have your Giulia back soon in perfect condition.
Thank you. I have been fitting all the "What Ifs" and "If I hads" and all that and just trying to tell myself "what is done is done and it's time to move on and get my car back on the road"

Hopefully the insurance company will get everything approved soon so the repairs can begin. Sounds like about 2 weeks for the suspension repair, another 2 weeks for body/paint.

The biggest question right now will be parts. The body shop rep said they have been getting Giulia parts within about a week lately so hopefully..........

Body shop is also going to take care of the Xpel, Opti Coat, and Xpel Window tint. The have use an authorized Xpel/Opti coat dealer for that.

No glass broke but if you can zoom in on the lower left corner of the passenger door glass you can see where the film is curled up. Not sure what cause that. Window moved that much? Air being forced up from the door to curl the film?? Just a bit odd.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Doesn’t look too bad, I’ve seen when snap like that before, car was carrying some good momentum, hit the curb sideways, wheel broke, hit rotor, rotor broke, it happens.
Damage does not look that bad, those cars are built very strong so I wouldn’t worry much about the repair being right.
Good luck to you and hopping for a speedy recovery for the car. Glad everyone was okay.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Robert, sorry, it just makes me sick to see your photos. I just saw your Ti at the car show, loved the color and I know how proud you and Snow are of that Giulia. You are smart going thru Seattle Maserati/Alfa for a repair shop and USAA has always been great for me in the past (I'm a 51 year member).

I hope it turns out super with not too much stress. :D

Take Care,
Chuck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts