Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here - hello everyone!

Like many other car enthusiasts here, I have owned more than my fair share of cars. Last few cars:
  • 2012 BMW 335d [my introduction to some real torque]
  • 2013 Porsche 911 4S Cabriolet [an amazing automobile my all time favorite, I wish my boys could still fit in the back seats]
  • 2015 Mini Cooper JCW [what a fun car, just a few too many issues begining the very first day of ownership]
  • 2015 BMW M3 [a really impressive sedan, sometimes just a bit too tail happy for a dad of 2 young boys, almost scared me to death once]
  • 2016 Fiesta ST [most fun per $ money can buy, sweet manual, least expensive car I've ever owned, might become a great first car for my son]

I recently got a chance to drive the Giulia Quadrifoglio and I think I am hooked and am going to custom order one as soon as I can find a dealer willing to deal.
After reading lots of very positive reviews, I decided to go test drive one and I can see what all the fuss is about. I like it.

As a multiple time current Land Rover owner I know what it means to read about reliability concerns. I know that where there is smoke, there usually is fire but after owning Land Rovers and Mini, I think it comes down to your tolerance. Land Rover is not the most reliable brand but it is exceptionally capable and it has taken our family to places that most people don't even dream of. Its a risk vs reward thing. I am willing to accept the risk and consider it to be a small price for what I get in return. Mini Cooper JCW ownership was super fun, but I did not feel the risk vs reward was justified. I could have same type of fun in a few other cars without the hassle of quirks and breakdowns, so I parted ways quickly.

Along the same lines, Alfa Romeo's perceived reliability is not great and many automotive journalists, while singing the praises of Quadrifoglio have also reported the various quirks and issues. After driving one myself, I think this might be worth it. The risk/reward equation is seems more toward the reward side to me, personally.

So - I am in.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Welcome!

Some cars have had their fair share of electrical/software issues but the vast majority of the initial issues have been dialed out. I think you will be ok. I am on my second one and have not regretted a single second of it.

The first one was traded in because I had to have white, not because of any issues other than color. ;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Go for it. You won?t regret it. I was coming off an Audi RS4 which was a great car, but there is no comparison.

I have 2,500 miles on mine and only had the headlight washer bracket issue. Nothing else at all to make me regret what I know was a great decision.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Like many other car enthusiasts here, I have owned more than my fair share of cars. Last few cars:
  • 2013 Porsche 911 4S Cabriolet [an amazing automobile my all time favorite, I wish my boys could still fit in the back seats]
  • 2015 Mini Cooper JCW [what a fun car, just a few too many issues begining the very first day of ownership]
  • 2015 BMW M3 [a really impressive sedan, sometimes just a bit too tail happy for a dad of 2 young boys, almost scared me to death once]
  • 2016 Fiesta ST [most fun per $ money can buy, sweet manual, least expensive car I've ever owned, might become a great first car for my son]

I recently got a chance to drive the Giulia Quadrifoglio and I think I am hooked and am going to custom order one as soon as I can find a dealer willing to deal.
After reading lots of very positive reviews, I decided to go test drive one and I can see what all the fuss is about. I like it.

As a multiple time current Land Rover owner I know what it means to read about reliability concerns. I know that where there is smoke, there usually is fire but after owning Land Rovers and Mini, I think it comes down to your tolerance. Land Rover is not the most reliable brand but it is exceptionally capable and it has taken our family to places that most people don't even dream of. Its a risk vs reward thing. I am willing to accept the risk and consider it to be a small price for what I get in return. Mini Cooper JCW ownership was super fun, but I did not feel the risk vs reward was justified. I could have same type of fun in a few other cars without the hassle of quirks and breakdowns, so I parted ways quickly.

Along the same lines, Alfa Romeo's perceived reliability is not great and many automotive journalists, while singing the praises of Quadrifoglio have also reported the various quirks and issues. After driving one myself, I think this might be worth it. The risk/reward equation is seems more toward the reward side to me, personally.

So - I am in.
I myself came out of a tuned M3 (2015). The Quadrifoglio is just on a whole other level, except for infotainment system, and even that is pretty good once you learn how to operate it. I’m 8,600 miles into mine and have had zero problems. I will be at 9,500 miles of pure driving joy after next week. If you make the leap, you will be very well rewarded with insane levels of driving bliss, if you can find some long uncrowded windy roads for a nice spirited drive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome!

Some cars have had their fair share of electrical/software issues but the vast majority of the initial issues have been dialed out. I think you will be ok. I am on my second one and have not regretted a single second of it.

The first one was traded in because I had to have white, not because of any issues other than color. ;)

Great to hear about that initial issues having been sorted out.
And that Trofeo White does look pretty sweet !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go for it. You won?t regret it. I was coming off an Audi RS4 which was a great car, but there is no comparison.

I have 2,500 miles on mine and only had the headlight washer bracket issue. Nothing else at all to make me regret what I know was a great decision.
Glad to hear some postitive first hand owner feeback.
Cheers!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I myself came out of a tuned M3 (2015). The Quadrifoglio is just on a whole other level, except for infotainment system, and even that is pretty good once you learn how to operate it. I’m 8,600 miles into mine and have had zero problems. I will be at 9,500 miles of pure driving joy after next week. If you make the leap, you will be very well rewarded with insane levels of driving bliss, if you can find some long uncrowded windy roads for a nice spirited drive.
~9000 trouble free miles sounds very good.
And I am looking forward to the "insane levels of driving bliss" as you've so eloquently put it :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have 500 miles on my QV at the moment. No issues so far. I think if there will be any that most (if not all) issues will be fixed with a software update. I have a 2008 Range Rover we've had from new. It has 201000 miles on it now. The only major thing we've had to do is replace the suspension (air bags last about 175000 miles) and minor supercharger repair. Other than that the thing feels bullet proof. I have a 2006 Z4 M Coupe (from new)....that had an engine replacement (short block) at 57000 miles thanks to rod bearing failure. I also have a 2017 Jaguar F Pace S which has had one software update, but I've had one one minor issue (sunroof button had to be reprogrammed for 1 press open/shut).

Now...my mum had a 2003 Mercedes SL500 (designo silver launch edition) that had no issues. She then traded for an SL600 in 2004. That car would turn off in corners (at this point 600 miles on the car). The Mercedes dealership said that was not possible. We gave them the keys and they got the problem to replicate. They fixed it 3 times and returned it with 1200+ miles on it, and my mum never drove that Mercedes or any Mercedes again. That was more because of the dealerships reaction was stupid, "that is not possible" was the wrong response.

I think the Alfa will be fine. There will always be something eventually, but it will be my weekend warrior, not daily driven. The reliability issue did not stop me from buying this car. Alfa also does seem to be working very hard to make sure they can fix this image. They already called me to check and make sure I don't have any issues and gave me contact details in case something comes up.

Reactions: jamgolf

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GiuliaQV:
Right - I think it is a lot about perception and then as I said about every individual's tolerance. If the problems are few and far between and are taken care of, then I don't consider it to be a big deal. On the other hand, nagging issues, which dealer can't or won't fix, can wear out even the most hard core enthusiast. After driving a couple of QVs, I dont get the feeling or impression of poor quality or workmanship. This is Alfa Romeo's flagship so I think they'll do (should do) everything to make it right. So, I am willing to take the leap of faith.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My only concern really is whether the car will need to be driven at its limits to feel engaged. That's why I think cars like Mazda MX5, Mini Cooper or Fiesta ST are considered "fun to drive" because you can feel engaged and enjoy the experience even at 40-50-60 mph. Sometimes cars with a lot of power can feel rather dull at legal speeds. I hope that is not the case with Giulia Quadrifoglio. I need to drive it again, with this particular angle.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
641 Posts
My only concern really is whether the car will need to be driven at its limits to feel engaged. That's why I think cars like Mazda MX5, Mini Cooper or Fiesta ST are considered "fun to drive" because you can feel engaged and enjoy the experience even at 40-50-60 mph. Sometimes cars with a lot of power can feel rather dull at legal speeds. I hope that is not the case with Giulia Quadrifoglio. I need to drive it again, with this particular angle.

Any thoughts on this?
Sure do have a thought on that. It's still a thoroughly engaging experience at lower speeds...you just won't stay in them for very long.:wink2:

You really can choose the level of engagement you feel like at the time. For instance, if you are in Dynamic and manual, keep the revs higher by staying in a lower gear. You will get the noise as well of course with the higher revs (I also have an exhaust controller installed so I can have wide open exhaust flaps all the time if I want).

If you want a more subdued experience because you have the Mother-in-Law aboard or something, then Normal mode, automatic will make it feel like my wife's Mazda, engagement-wise at lower speeds (which is not nothing).

All said though, and I have stated this before...triple digit speeds arrive so quickly, you may well find yourself there a time or two before you start paying a bit more attention to the speedo....so that the police pay less attention to you (I was pulled over three times in three days earlier on).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Jamgolf. You are the only other person here who has mentioned Fiesta ST. I love mine. I have a Cobb stage one tune, and an aftermarket rear motormount. If you haven't swapped yours out please do it. It makes the car so much better. I also drive a 2011 m3 coupe. I have two daughters who are rapidly approaching the age of not wanting to ride in the back of a two-door. I drove a Quadrifoglio, and ordered one. My wife drives an jag fpace and it left us stranded once. The dealer is taking care of us, and we are willing to put up with it because of the joy it is to drive and look at. Like you, I expect to have some issues with the Alfa, but feel it will be worth it based on my short drive, reviews, and the absolute joy expressed on this forum.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jamgolf. You are the only other person here who has mentioned Fiesta ST. I love mine. I have a Cobb stage one tune, and an aftermarket rear motormount. If you haven't swapped yours out please do it. It makes the car so much better. I also drive a 2011 m3 coupe. I have two daughters who are rapidly approaching the age of not wanting to ride in the back of a two-door. I drove a Quadrifoglio, and ordered one. My wife drives an jag fpace and it left us stranded once. The dealer is taking care of us, and we are willing to put up with it because of the joy it is to drive and look at. Like you, I expect to have some issues with the Alfa, but feel it will be worth it based on my short drive, reviews, and the absolute joy expressed on this forum.
Glad to find another Fiesta ST enthusiast here. Since I plan to pass it on to my 17 year old son and it is crazy fun just as it is, I have stayed away from any mods (Cobb etc).
Hey life is short - lets enjoy it driving the QV shall we :)

·
Registered
693 Posts

• Welcome!
    I'm not an owner (yet) so I can't give you first-hand information. If you do decide to order one, we'll be waiting (and waiting) together.
    I did own a 2011 Mini Cooper S 6-sp - not a JCW, but it was still a pretty fun car. I regret selling it now. I replaced it with a 2016 BMW m235i which is a great commuter car but not very engaging. I expect that the QV that I have on order will be the best of both worlds :)
    BTW, my Mini was trouble-free for the 4+ years that I owned it. The only time I had to have the dealer fix something was when the door sill plastic label started to come unglued.
    I might just have to buy a used Mini as my winter/backup car sometime after I get the QV ;)

Reactions: jamgolf

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure do have a thought on that. It's still a thoroughly engaging experience at lower speeds...you just won't stay in them for very long.:wink2:

You really can choose the level of engagement you feel like at the time. For instance, if you are in Dynamic and manual, keep the revs higher by staying in a lower gear. You will get the noise as well of course with the higher revs (I also have an exhaust controller installed so I can have wide open exhaust flaps all the time if I want).

If you want a more subdued experience because you have the Mother-in-Law aboard or something, then Normal mode, automatic will make it feel like my wife's Mazda, engagement-wise at lower speeds (which is not nothing).

All said though, and I have stated this before...triple digit speeds arrive so quickly, you may well find yourself there a time or two before you start paying a bit more attention to the speedo....so that the police pay less attention to you (I was pulled over three times in three days earlier on).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, hitting triple digits swiftly and frequently can be an issue. I was doing that far too often with the M3. Since my 911 C4S was a cabriolet, it had another dimension i.e. with the top down, experiencing the wind and sounds of the engine made it enjoyable even at lower speeds. I felt the M3 enjoyable only when I was pushing it. I can see that Quadrifoglio will want to be driven hard, but I am hoping it can be fun at normal speeds too, because of its steering and handling.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have the Ti Lusso with just about everything on it, and this car has an amazing ability to bond with you almost instantly. It's not like any other car I've ever owned. The sheer competency of the effort that was put into this car reveals itself in subtle yet engaging ways. Every design team has to struggle with what they'd ideally like to do, and what management and the bean counters say they can do. There are always compromises as a result. What the design and manufacturing team has delivered, says a lot about the management team too. They went for the gold here. I can tell that whatever compromises there were, were reluctantly chosen. Regardless of the ideal, they still had target market price points to consider. Nevertheless, this is just simply a superb sedan that reaches for being more than just a sedan, and achieves it. Is it perfect? No, nothing is. However, the fact that they are so eagerly responding to feedback, and continuing to fine-tune the car with software updates is very confidence-inspiring to me as an owner.

I've had mine now for 4 weeks, and so far the only issue (if you can call it that) was having to recalibrate the sunroof, which only took a few minutes. It's my daily driver, and has literally transformed my drive to work and back, into something I actually enjoy and look forward to. Being able to noticeably transform the driving character of the car with the DNA switch is a terrific feature. It makes it a car for all seasons and reasons. It transforms ordinary trips into pleasurable excursions. When in Rome, they do as it does. It is... the most interesting car in the world.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts

Any thoughts on this?
have mine since last year....came out of a non ZCP F80 and can tell you that the Giulia is in fact a driver's car:grin2: the 505Hp is just the icing on the cake...the beauty of this car IMHO is the chassis dynamics, steering & suspension set-up....the car never feels out of kilter, the steering is laser sharp...do not confuse light with unresponsive or numb...frankly on the street you will never drive it to its potential without getting locked up>:)
my only grip is with the gearing as I find it a bit short, you just fly through the gears....
it is a Jekel/Hyde type of car....docile when you want and beastly when you don't.
the only place to really get 100% out of the car is on the track...and even then you are limited by your own driving ability...I don't think you will "out-drive" the car....Hope you get one I don't think you will be disappointed at all.
Regards
M

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MDriver:

Thanks for your thought. I certainly hope not to get locked up, but all the performance cars these days are so capable that unless you are super careful, that possibility exists :)
During my test drives, I felt the car was planted and the steering was very direct and quick. The suspension makes it feel planted yet comfortable.
Having a good manual transmission would probably help with the moderate speed engagement/enjoyment but that's not an option, so paddle shifters are the next best thing.

I know that I will never out-drive the car. Actually, I can't even out-drive cars far less capable.
Cheers!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the Ti Lusso with just about everything on it, and this car has an amazing ability to bond with you almost instantly. It's not like any other car I've ever owned. The sheer competency of the effort that was put into this car reveals itself in subtle yet engaging ways. Every design team has to struggle with what they'd ideally like to do, and what management and the bean counters say they can do. There are always compromises as a result. What the design and manufacturing team has delivered, says a lot about the management team too. They went for the gold here. I can tell that whatever compromises there were, were reluctantly chosen. Regardless of the ideal, they still had target market price points to consider. Nevertheless, this is just simply a superb sedan that reaches for being more than just a sedan, and achieves it. Is it perfect? No, nothing is. However, the fact that they are so eagerly responding to feedback, and continuing to fine-tune the car with software updates is very confidence-inspiring to me as an owner.

I've had mine now for 4 weeks, and so far the only issue (if you can call it that) was having to recalibrate the sunroof, which only took a few minutes. It's my daily driver, and has literally transformed my drive to work and back, into something I actually enjoy and look forward to. Being able to noticeably transform the driving character of the car with the DNA switch is a terrific feature. It makes it a car for all seasons and reasons. It transforms ordinary trips into pleasurable excursions. When in Rome, they do as it does. It is... the most interesting car in the world.
Quite well said.
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts

Any thoughts on this?
Just imagine it's a race car, and you're in pit lane when driving slowly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts