Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All!

After much research and many test drives, I've finally purchased, picked up and driven home a Giulia. I'll outline my experiences and observations here in hopes that there may be tidbits that are helpful to others.

First off, it's worthwhile to mention that we're car people. My wife has her first car (1979 Chevy Nova 2 door) still. We currently own 10 cars, including two BMWs, a Cadillac CTS Sportwagon (for sale...hit me up!), and a low mileage 1991 Miata. I've also owned several Moto Guzzi motorcycles (one of those for sale, too) and have a family history with Alfa Romeo prior to the 1992 exit from the US market.

It's fair to say that I've been waiting patiently as Alfa went through several promised; but not completed, returns to the US market. Kudos to Sergio Marchionne for getting the right products lined up, and the dealers on board to make a go of it here. Looking over the sales numbers it seems that Alfa is making steady headway in the US market. I've been amused reading the forums about the dismay over the new warranty policy here in the US. Rather than being annoyed, I think it's best to be pleased that Alfa is digging in and planning to continue to grow their US presence. The access you've had to the car more than offsets the minimal benefit of the extra warranty time.

Moving on. I bought a lightly used 2017 Giulia with 2300 miles on it from the Maserati / Alfa dealer in Daytona Beach, FL on 6/30. Not really notable other than I actually live in a small town in Kansas about 45 minutes north of Wichita. My wife has a great uncle in Jacksonville, FL and I have a good friend in Orlando. We also had some social stuff to do in Savannah, GA and Frederick, MD. My wife's great uncle is her dad's uncle, so he went along, too. We all figured that an epic, three person social road trip up the eastern seaboard in a sketchy Italian car bought sight unseen was a great idea, so off the airport we went!

The car I bought was a 2017 Ti Lusso, Trofeo White over tan leather, RWD and without the paddle shifters and Performance Pack. Here's why:

1. The car looks great in white. Real head turner. Even more so than in red.

2. The ZF 8 speed works really well, and I found the paddle shifters got in the way of the stalks on both sides. If I need to engine brake on long downhills I can still do that, but really don't see the paddles as a practical benefit on a road car.

3. We drove cars with the sport seats and with the luxury seats. I am 6'0" and weigh between 170 and 180 pounds seasonally. I think that anyone larger than that is going to have comfort issues with the sport seats for longer drives.

4. Leather dash / door uppers really tie the interior together.

5. Ti Performance pack is nice, but the real world differences for a non-track car are minimal. Add in doubts about long term reliability of Magneti Marelli (FCA subsidiary) dynamic suspension and saving the $$ was an easy choice.

6. RWD has a perceptible edge over AWD. Not a lot, but driving the cars back to back shows the RWD as the clear winner. Tip of the hat to automotive marketers in the US who have convinced the buying public that you MUST have AWD or something bad will happen or you hate your children and want them to die. This is not the case. AWD just adds weight, complexity and about $2k. $1K will get you a very nice set of winter tires on wheels if you live in such a climate.

If you're still reading this, we did have a great experience with the car delivery and road trip. The Giulia was delivered in Dayton Beach, FL with 2300 miles on 6/30. I pulled it in the garage 7/8 with 4900 miles. We drove from Frederick, MD to McPherson, KS in 18 hours at an average speed of 72mph at 34.3mpg...in a car with three adults, all our crap and several cases of malt beverages not available in Kansas. The worst thing is that its very difficult to drive it at quasi-legal speeds. This is true for every Italian motorized thing I've ever owned. Even a Vespa wants to go 40 in a 25.

In summary, if you're thinking about buying one of these cars, by all means do so. It's much better than some crappy BMW or Lexus. Is it going to do crazy Italian quirky stuff? Yes...it is. Are you going to want to drive it off the edge of the Grand Canyon some days? Yes...you are. Are you going to care once it's mended? No...you won't. The car is that good.

One troubling observation. Many Alfa dealers are really, truly, deeply awful. I would suggest that shopping for the right dealer may be more important than picking your colors and packages on the car. If you live in Kansas, I would suggest that the dealer in Wichita be removed from you list.

If you have already purchased your Alfa, it seems that you're in one of two categories.

The first category is the purchaser (or leasee) who expects this to be a seamless, trouble-free ownership experience where the manufacturer takes care of everything.

The second category is the enthusiast who understands that an Alfa Romeo isn't a turnkey experience and expects some bumps in the road (how many of you have replaced a throttle cable on a 2.0L at 2am??) but believes the upside is worth it.

Unfortunately, FCA doesn't really understand and cater to either group today. The warranty change is a nod to category one. For me, that's a very unfortunate development. Using BMW as an example...BMW today is in the business of leasing expensive cars to wealthy people. They then take that car back and sell it as a certified pre-owned car to the second owner. Anyone after that is screwed. They've completely abandoned the enthusiast owner who wants to keep the car for many years and miles. For the category two buyer, technical information hard to come by. You can't reset the maintenance counter yourself, even though changing the oil is a pretty simple procedure.

These cars are very special and we should all be happy to have access to them, warts and all. When driving the 2017 Giulia I can feel the connection to cars past...the Alfa heritage is in there. When I drive a new BMW, it's not there...you don't feel the 2002 heritage in a new car.

After all...if you want a bulletproof ownership experience Toyota has a Camry with your name on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very well said !!!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I cannot understand why you bought a car based on the speculation that other, bigger people would not fit in the seats you didn’t get, nor do I agree with the tone or nature of most of your comments, but nonetheless, welcome to the fold!

We’ve got all kinds in here, and I think particularly for MY17 owners, the board is a great resource for discovering that some of the so-called quirks, bumps, and warts have been fixed with a variety of software updates that make the cars run and work better.

Many happy miles to you in yours.

Reactions: DareBear

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That's quite an impressive collection you have there!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chaadster:

Thank you for the elegant reply. The nice thing about choices is that everyone can select that works best for their particular use case. In my case, I've found that similarly bolstered seats in some of our other cars have become bothersome on long trips (I routinely make 1250 mile one way drives), so the "luxury" Lusso seats were an easy choice over the "sport" seats. That and a buck will get anyone here coffee!

I suspect that most of the MY17 issues are software related and that this will be a good car long term. In the meantime I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply despite not quite agreeing with the tone of the message.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Chaadster:

Thank you for the elegant reply. The nice thing about choices is that everyone can select that works best for their particular use case. In my case, I've found that similarly bolstered seats in some of our other cars have become bothersome on long trips (I routinely make 1250 mile one way drives), so the "luxury" Lusso seats were an easy choice over the "sport" seats. That and a buck will get anyone here coffee!

I suspect that most of the MY17 issues are software related and that this will be a good car long term. In the meantime I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply despite not quite agreeing with the tone of the message.
I purchased an identically equipped car (except color) for the same reasons you mentioned, but everyone has different priorities and preferences. Still loving my choice!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Great write-up! I'm with Chaadster on this matter, but I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs on a good day; the sport seats even have trouble keeping me in place :grin2: but I got the car as a (very) sporty daily, so the LSD, paddles, sport suspension, etc were very much worth it to me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum :smile2:
Congrats on the Giulia purchase :grin2:

I bought both my 4C and my Giulia Ti Q2 as driver's cars. I did not buy either for other people's benefit or for their potential resale value. All that matters to me is if I enjoy my car(s), while driving them. As with any car, they are a mechanical devise subject to wear & tear and failure. So far, failure has been minimal for both. I have 30,000+ miles on the 4C and 12,000+ miles on the Giulia. Wear & tear? Well, they both look used because I use them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Agree about the AWD observation. I test drove both and it wasn't even a contest when it came time to buy the car. RWD is so much better than AWD and besides I live in the west area of the US I don't really need AWD. If you notice no QV in AWD is offered, ever wonder why? Well, maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a QV in AWD.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
After much research and many test drives, I've finally purchased, picked up and driven home a Giulia.

My wife has her first car (1979 Chevy Nova 2 door) still.

It's fair to say that I've been waiting patiently as Alfa went through several promised; but not completed, returns to the US market. Kudos to Sergio Marchionne for getting the right products lined up, and the dealers on board to make a go of it here.

Moving on. I bought a lightly used 2017 Giulia with 2300 miles on it from the Maserati / Alfa dealer in Daytona Beach, FL on 6/30.

These cars are very special and we should all be happy to have access to them, warts and all. When driving the 2017 Giulia I can feel the connection to cars past...the Alfa heritage is in there. When I drive a new BMW, it's not there...you don't feel the 2002 heritage in a new car.

After all...if you want a bulletproof ownership experience Toyota has a Camry with your name on it.
How many miles of test drives do you think you racked up, and did the dealer eventually cut you off?

I feel the presence of my 1972 Cutlass in almost every car I drive, though I have no idea when (or even if) it went to the crusher.

I view the Giulia as Sergio's retirement gift to us all.

Was it a demo car? If not, did you learn why the previous owner didn't keep it longer?

I don't even like Camrys as rental cars. My wife has vowed to get a picture of my face the next time I hear that's what we're getting.

Great write-up! I'm with Chaadster on this matter, but I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs on a good day; the sport seats even have trouble keeping me in place :grin2: but I got the car as a (very) sporty daily, so the LSD, paddles, sport suspension, etc were very much worth it to me.
Don't worry, you'll grow into it.

I bought both my 4C and my Giulia Ti Q2 as driver's cars. I did not buy either for other people's benefit or for their potential resale value. All that matters to me is if I enjoy my car(s), while driving them. As with any car, they are a mechanical devise subject to wear & tear and failure. So far, failure has been minimal for both. I have 30,000+ miles on the 4C and 12,000+ miles on the Giulia. Wear & tear? Well, they both look used because I use them.
Amen.

Agree about the AWD observation. I test drove both and it wasn't even a contest when it came time to buy the car. RWD is so much better than AWD and besides I live in the west area of the US I don't really need AWD. If you notice no QV in AWD is offered, ever wonder why? Well, maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a QV in AWD.
Those who want an AWD QV can get a Stelvio (though there might be a wait).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
I live in California and drive over the Sierras regularly. The choices in the winter are 4WD, AWD or chains (gasp). A RWD car was not a consideration so I have not driven one for comparison. I am quite pleased with how my Q4 handles. I drive fairly aggressively and wore out the OEM tires that are supposed to last 30,000 to 50,000 miles in only 8600 miles although I probably could have squeezed 12000 miles out of them if I had tried a little harder.

AWD adds only a little over 100 pounds to the car, using the Maserati Q4 system. The AWD Giulia sits slightly higher than the RWD Giulia and is not available in the USA market with staggered wheels with summer tires. The Q4 system is RWD until the wheels start slipping.

Rumor has it that the right hand downpipe of the QV is in the way of where the front drive shaft would go and it is not obvious that is a fixable problem.

I drove my previous car one time with chains on. The finish on the wheels of that car is now totally destroyed.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ah chains. I remember our weekend ski trips from Sacramento to the North shore. Gives a new definition of chain gangs. Chain up before you go over the pass. That was before AWD was everywhere. Even though I don't live in the snow, we do head up to the mountains in Arizona regularly. Escape the heat. We currently take the F350 since the other two cars are not adequate, QV no for me with or without snow tires (makes no sense if you live all week without snow). I don't even drive that one in the rain. I still have nightmares of trying to get up the mountain bench to college with my Camaro with Eagle GTs with rear wheel drive. It did not make it there so not trying it in the QV.

The next on the list will be a AWD no question. I did test drive both and for me I could not tell the difference. From what I understand it is on a rear wheel drive until it needs to engage the AWD. I might prefer an option to engage the AWD on my own so I know it is engage but I hope there is a light on the display anyway. Not sure if it will be a Stelvio or not. If not it won't be because I don't trust or think highly of the Alfa. It would be for the same reason I got the QV. I might want something different. But without question it will be an SUV/Crossover and it will be AWD.

I will note that the Giulia Ti Sport I initially signed the contract for was a Q4 version. I thought it provided the flexibility to travel in any climate

·
Registered
765 Posts
For my QV I have snow tires and a set of low profile chains for the winters here. It is compulsory to have them. Havent used them yet though. And a roof rack for the skis in the winter.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
No manual AWD engagement on Giulia, no light on the dash either. Some Alfa competitors have a manual engagement feature. I have repeatedly complained about this arrangement on Giulia, but have not come up with a solution yet.

My winter route often requires chains for about 50 miles with a speed limit of 25MPH. It is fairly common that I cannot maintain 25MPH due to poor visibility, poor traction, traffic, or some combination there of.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Woo...95b6fcc4eb518!2m2!1d-120.4816433!2d38.5155993

I have driven this route in the winter exactly once with my Protege (cable style chains mounted). It was a seriously obnoxiously rough ride that beat the [email protected]#$ out of the car and wheels. The car slid across the road once in spite of the chains and low speeds. I have only driven it once under winter storm conditions with Giulia, but Giulia with AWD suffered no apparent damage with the only hickup being that the wheel wells packed solid and I had to stop and scrape them out at Carson Pass. No semi-out of control sliding with Giulia so I guess the AWD was working properly.

This is a twice a week commute.

·
Registered
159 Posts
... and several cases of malt beverages not available in Kansas.
whitef - Yuengling??

We can agree to disagree on the seats, AWD vs RWD, wheel size, sport vs non sport, and other drivel (not referring your post) because the important thing is that you are part of the Alfa family

And nice to hear of yet another Alfa in KS, there aren't many :smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
273 Posts
Thank you for the thoughtful post. I agree with you 100%. The RWD platform is great. I love the car. I came from an Infiniti Q50. It was a great car but it had no soul. When my lease came up, I looked at the BMW, Merc, Jag, and the Lexus. I drove the Alfa and was absolutely hooked. It reminded me of my S2000. It had soul. It is different and unique. It is the second best car have ever owned (the S2000 was the best) but I am still getting used to it so there is still time. I only have 200 miles on mine and have yet to see another one since I bought it. It is really crazy since I live in South Tampa which is where I would expect to see a lot of them. I see more Mclaren's and and Lambo's than Alfa's daily. The gear box on the S2000 was incredible. I really like the ZF in the Alfa though. It feels a lot like the S2k. Rare and fun.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
10 Posts
About the sport seats, I think they require a break in period. I am 5'10 and ~215lbs (avid gym goer), and when I first got my car the seats felt tight and I was a bit worried about long drives. However now it actually feels like the seat has molded to my body and holds me in the seat just right. Just an observation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts