Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Giulia Q2 Ti (door says manufactured 12/16) has been in the shop for the last few days because it threw the electronic throttle control error and went into limp mode. The following updates were performed.

17-022 Remote Start Update
17-037 Brake Pad Wear Sensor
17-043 Powertrain Update
17-057 Trans/Drivability Update
17-058 HVAC Update
17-061 Amp Audio Flash
17-065 Audio System Update (Installed Amp Cover)
17-068 Coolant Hose O-Ring Update

Notes:
1. The lag in the throttle seems much better but seems to have taken a little steam out of the car and it feels a tiny bit slower overall. Before this the throttle was very touchy and would act like it was going to stall sometimes under heavy acceleration.

2. I am not sure but I don't think the dealer may be telling me the truth about the audio updates. After the updates mine still says Apps instead of Car. Asked the rep about it and he said he talked to the tech and that the patch is not yet ready for my car. Not sure I believe this and will talk with other dealer in my area.

3. Though the HK audio system still doesn't sound like a $900 audio system it is much louder now. Prior to this at max volume it wasn't very loud but now will reach what was max at about 28 instead of 38. Just wish it sounded better.

4. I asked about 17-065 as I had not heard of this one before. Rep said they installed a shield over the amp. I asked if this was to deal with the window tinting issue and he did not know what I was talking about but said it should be safe to tint.

5. The brakes feel much better and it is easier to come to a slow stop than before. Not sure which update would have affected this as the one listed for brakes is a hardware issue.

6. A little worried about the HVAC update. Was a 100 degrees here today and they left the car in the sun all day but the AC just did not seem to be operating as well as it has in the past. May just be the extreme heat so I will keep an eye on it.

Overall everything seems good. They drove my leased car for over 100 miles to test it (not that happy about the extra miles) and I have put another 40 on it since I picked it up and it seems good to go. We'll see!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have been trying for two months now to get the infotainment system update, but the dealer doesn't seem to know what they are doing. My original complaint was that the HK audio did not have very much volume, so based on your report I am encouraged that the update will fix problem this if it ever gets done.

I'm curious what version of software you have. Can you go into the System menu and find out what it is? It would be very helpful to know what version you have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I have read a little more on these forums and now understand they are not updating the radio for everyone unless you get to the right person or complain enough - not good business.

I don't know the version number before the update but the current version is MV-001.011.020. This must be the 001 rev only as I have none of the new features and the Apps label is still present instead of the Car label.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Not current if it still says "apps".

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes, 001 is the old generation. I think they are rolling out to select cars to test them slowly. The older the car the slower they will give it to you. It's annoying.

Get a star case opened for any issues you have with the radio.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In reading the threads about the update here it sounds like even opening a case won't get you the update. FCA should really rethink this and give us CarPlay as originally promised. I have the HK 8.8 system and it really is such a major disappointment and not worth the extra money.

They loaned me a Stelvio with the base audio system and no nav and it sounded better than the HK system and I didn't even mess with the settings. Plus the nav is useless in these cars without live traffic and I still have to use Google anyway.

It is a good thing I am more interested in the handling and acceleration of the cars I buy and not the radio. Until these updates I was a little worried about having to own the Giulia. The throttle was way too touchy and acted like it was going to stall half the time and the brakes were horrible. The throttle seems better as do the brakes but the brakes are definitely the weak point of the Giula and still concern me even though they are a little better.

·
Registered
526 Posts
In reading the threads about the update here it sounds like even opening a case won't get you the update. FCA should really rethink this and give us CarPlay as originally promised.
I agree that Alfa could be handling the audio update better, even if they just explain the reasoning behind the random updating. I would assume there is a legitimate reason but what?

As far as "giving us CarPlay as originally promised", Where did you read that?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree that Alfa could be handling the audio update better, even if they just explain the reasoning behind the random updating...
That's all I ever wanted, a reason I couldn't have it. Even if the reason was "we are still in beta" and are not ready for full scale deployment. That's my day job, software commercialization, in one of the largest engineering companies in the world. I think I could handle that 0:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts