Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
While that is impressive, I think as it is, Giulia Quadrifoglio is beautifully balanced and its chassis can handle 505hp without getting over powered.
Personally, I have to question the desire to mess with something so sublime.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
While that is impressive, I think as it is, Giulia Quadrifoglio is beutifully balanced and its chassis can handle 505hp without getting over powered.
Personally, I have to question the desire to mess with something so sublime.
I couldn’t have said it any better!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are right I'm not looking for more power. just maybe exhaust & maybe some CF to personalize the car a little. like i said I stumbled across it and thought the forum would like to read about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
you are right I'm not looking for more power. just maybe exhaust & maybe some CF to personalize the car a little. like i said I stumbled across it and thought the forum would like to read about it.
Thanks for sharing the link, I thought it was interesting to read.
Its amazing what tuners can do to engines these days.

My statement is just specifically in regards to QV (not at all directed toward you).
I feel QV is really such a good recipe so why mess with it - is all I'm saying :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I plan on having my car tuned this spring. I have a well known McLaren tuner in the charlotte area that felt 600hp is an easy tune w/o losing drivability or reliability. they also seem confident that warranty will not be compromised. if there is any real concern from the experts regarding reliability, I will likely have second thoughts. as stated in this thread, the car is close to perfection as delivered.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was giggling like a madman coming home from work today because I floored it in my QV on an empty highway and the rear end was slipping all over the place. It's chilly and sliiightly damp out there tonight, so I had a ton of wheel spin with that much torque/HP. So much fun, but I can't imagine what another 100hp would do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was giggling like a madman coming home from work today because I floored it in my QV on an empty highway and the rear end was slipping all over the place. It's chilly and sliiightly damp out there tonight, so I had a ton of wheel spin with that much torque/HP. So much fun, but I can't imagine what another 100hp would do.
THIS.

I'm driving with a permanent smile on my face these last 2 weeks. That said, it's tough to find a semi warm day that's dry at this time of year in the Charlotte area, so I've yet to hit ideal conditions.

But when I do get happy with the pedal, this little beast wants to go all over the place. I'd never consider adding more, she's perfectly tapped out at 505 (or 515 if you believe some of the dyno threads) and fully optimized.

I will be looking into the exhaust flap mod (safety issue) and some CF bits perhaps, but cosmetics at this point.

Couldn't be happier (except when Android Auto gets installed).

Reactions: Jason McInnis

·
Registered
617 Posts
THIS.

I'm driving with a permanent smile on my face these last 2 weeks. That said, it's tough to find a semi warm day that's dry at this time of year in the Charlotte area, so I've yet to hit ideal conditions.

But when I do get happy with the pedal, this little beast wants to go all over the place. I'd never consider adding more, she's perfectly tapped out at 505 (or 515 if you believe some of the dyno threads) and fully optimized.

I will be looking into the exhaust flap mod (safety issue) and some CF bits perhaps, but cosmetics at this point.

Couldn't be happier (except when Android Auto gets installed).

johnny,

I am up at lake norman. we should get together at our cars and coffee event next month. I had my qv there last month and was parked next a lambo Gallardo...no one even looked at the ugly lambo. the qv was the movie star!!

that said, I would love to go to hypercars (the McLaren tuners) and provide a sanity check for me before I go down the turner road. nice to know there is another qv in the charlotte area!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
It would do it more, thus being better / more fun.

Surprised by the comments of "waaahhh, it doesn't need more hp"... it's almost like -- you don't have to use it all if it's too much for you, by managing the loud pedal. Does the P1 need 903hp... no, but it is certainly better for it.

600hp QV sounds amazing. Although, if you have none, I'd suggest getting some track time under your belt so you can enjoy it properly/responsibly.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
202 Posts
Surprised by the comments of "waaahhh, it doesn't need more hp"... it's almost like -- you don't have to use it all if it's too much for you, by managing the loud pedal.
F80 M3 is a good example of a car having too much power and chassis not being able to handle that power.
Giulia Quadrifoglio is a beautifully balanced machine, something not easy to do, otherwise, all cars would have such characteristics.
All owners are different and I for one am not going to mess with what Alfa engineers have created.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Ahh the Quest for More Cavalli.....

I'm sure that 600+ is easily available to the QV with tuning....we can all thank Forced Induction for that....very easy to coax more as opposed to a N/A motor....
that said...I would have to drive one with 600+ in order to really make a determination....how does it put the power down??? and how does it effect the handling/stopping dynamics of the car???...
as it sits, the car is quite potent with 505 and the chassis never feels like it is going to do something you don't expect...very composed at speed....
my other concern is reliability and the strength of the internals to handle the extra boost required to gain almost 100 hp....

I can only use my E39M5 as an example...bone stock she is a very well balanced car...the QV reminds me of her only with much more juice!
when I drove a Dinan S3 M5 with 621hp. it was crystal clear why the car needed suspension/brake/drivetrain upgrades to handle the huge jump in power...so I am wondering does the Giulia need the same with 600+

·
Registered
527 Posts
F80 M3 is a good example of a car having too much power and chassis not being able to handle that power.
Not being able to handle the power? Seems like the F80 M3 has a lot of praise for how well it handles.

All owners are different and I for one am not going to mess with what Alfa engineers have created.
So you don't ever plan on modifying your car? Tires? Brake pads? Alignment adjustments?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not being able to handle the power? Seems like the F80 M3 has a lot of praise for how well it handles.
As a prior F80 M3 owner I actually know how it handles and most reviews agree with my opinion (although it does not matter to me).
The fact that BMW had to come with a competition package and now the limited CS edition speaks for itself.

So you don't ever plan on modifying your car? Tires? Brake pads? Alignment adjustments?
Alignment is not modification. That's just maintenance.
Brakes are also a maintenance item and when the time comes to replace them I'll replace them with OEM parts.
Tires. I plan to stick to Perilli Corsa tires. But if a better tires comes along, I'll switch. That is not modification either.
Generally speaking, I will not modify my car :)

In any case, everyone is free to do whatever to their cars .... modify them, track them, drive them, enjoy them :)
Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can assure you that any messing with the ECU will void the warranty and it may not pass the smog check; Check out the Corvette Forum and other similar forums. If you want more power it is better to buy a different car or wait until your vehicle is out of warranty. Just think what it would cost if you blew an engine in the QV and it wasn't covered!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wouldn't do it; messing with the ECU will void your warranty and you may not pass the smog test. If you want more power get a Z06 which can be had for a real steal right now. I looked at one but too many downsides but it is a bonafide track machine with 650 hp!

·
Registered
423 Posts
The QV was made for modding!

Luxury sports sedans with > 400 hp aren't bought by people who don't like to go fast or help make their cars go faster!

Personally, I can't wait for a full line of upgrade packages for the QV - ECU tunes, air intakes, downpipes + high flow cats/test pipe - full exhaust upgrades, intercooler core/pipes, etc. Maybe even larger turbo components.

Yes, testing & evaluation should help determine what is needed to accompany these mods to safely produce increased horsepower with the correct combination of OEM & aftermarket parts. No one is endorsing going about this haphazardly.

But the potential is there & that is very exciting!

·
Registered
617 Posts
The QV was made for modding!

Luxury sports sedans with > 400 hp aren't bought by people who don't like to go fast or help make their cars go faster!

Personally, I can't wait for a full line of upgrade packages for the QV - ECU tunes, air intakes, downpipes + high flow cats/test pipe - full exhaust upgrades, intercooler core/pipes, etc. Maybe even larger turbo components.

Yes, testing & evaluation should help determine what is needed to accompany these mods to safely produce increased horsepower with the correct combination of OEM & aftermarket parts. No one is endorsing going about this haphazardly.

But the potential is there & that is very exciting!
true. every alfa I have ever owned got mods. start with shankle headers. ansa exhaust. 10.4-1 pistons and liners followed by some sweet auto delta cams and polish and porting by sperry...and so on...

great memories.

·
Registered
33 Posts
johnny,

I am up at lake norman. we should get together at our cars and coffee event next month. I had my qv there last month and was parked next a lambo Gallardo...no one even looked at the ugly lambo. the qv was the movie star!!

that said, I would love to go to hypercars (the McLaren tuners) and provide a sanity check for me before I go down the turner road. nice to know there is another qv in the charlotte area!!

Definitely, Pete. Assuming that's the 6th based on what I saw on the FB page, so yes, count me in. It's an easy drive from where I am in Lake Wylie. I keep getting stares, comments, and a funny thing as a new "exotic" or unique car owner.... LOT of people parked behind me at lights snapping photos. That's really cool.

Looking forward to it. This beast is still breaking me in as a driver...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.