Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the read :D

For those of you who want to read my first day and first 1000 mile reviews, here are the links:

Day One:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...54-giulia-qv-day-one-weekend-impressions.html

First 1k:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/481-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio/12641-qv-1st-1000-miles.html

Color: Trefeo White / Dark 5-Hole Wheels / CF Steering Wheel / Green & White Interior Stitching / No Carbon Brakes / Red Calipers / No Carbon Seats
Build Date: February 2017
Purchased: May 2017
Daily Driver: Yes.
Winter? Yes. Dedicated winter tires installed. Michelin Alpin in OEM sizing ordered via TireRack.
Clear Bra Protection? No
Ceramic Pro (or equivalent)? No
Avg MPG: 21.2
Oil Change? Not yet. Waiting on 10k (maybe earlier if I don’t reach 10k my next May)

Dealership Visits: (Zeigler Fiat/Maserati in Schaumburg, IL). Excellent service and attention.
· Passenger side headlamp washer bracket replaced (Cover was still intact)
· Glove box replaced (latching mechanism broke)

RRTs Completed:
HVAC Diagnostic & System Improvements
Adaptive Cruise Control Enhancements
Instrument Panel Cluster
Powertrain Diagnostic/System Flash: “Software update issued by AR to modify powertrain control module setting to bring to most current levels”

Add-Ons:
· Hardwired V1 via “Savvy” OBD kit
· OEM Carbon Fiber Shifter piece
· Tinted Windows – 30%

OVERALL: I couldn’t be more pleased with this car – it’s simply been a pleasure and fun to drive. It’s incredibly easy to get to go fast, yet also just to cruise around town and enjoy the scenery. During the past 7 months it’s seen a whole range of weather (except snow thus far) and it’s held up very well. It’s very stealthy as it doesn’t seem to attract a lot of attention – which is perfectly fine by me. If someone were to ask what’s the one thing that really makes me like this car, and with all due respect to those to sing the praises of the Ferrari engine, without a doubt it’s the exterior. It’s got a great shape to it and carries a nice presence while moving AND even when parked. Yes, I’m of those who will park and after taking about 20 steps look back and think…”dang, that is one wicked beast.” :D

I’ve made some Wish List items under the categories below. Note that these are not deal-breakers for me (obviously). Just things that would make driving life just a tad bit easier. Ah, first world problems indeed.

So to the details…….

Interior:
· - Brakes: I’ve definitely gotten used to modulating the brakes for smoother stops, but every once in a while I do have a jerky situation. Definitely not enough to bother me. These brakes feel wonderful before going into tight corner as I could late brake every time without any drama; I suppose they inspire confidence. There is definitely some “squealing” during some slow stops and that can get annoying in traffic (and having to explain it to my friends). It does seem to be intermittent though and does not happen every time I drive. I know some people have brought their cars in to have it looked at, but I don’t intend to unless it becomes a more consistent issue.

· - Stitching/CF quality/Seats: With the range of temperatures here running anywhere from 0 to 100 degrees the interior has held up well thus far. No warping of panels/CF, no extreme panel gaps, no stitching that has become worn. To be honest I probably could condition the leather more than the couple times I have since I have owned the car. I guess that’s a testament to how well the interior holds up. The seats are awesome and I feel very comfortable in them. However, note that I am a bit small in stature (5’6”) and don’t have a large frame.

· - Heated Steering wheel: The steering wheel is a work of art, but even better is how fast it heats up. I swear sometimes I feel like I don’t need to put on winter gloves.

· - Infotainment/Navi: Works as expected and, to reiterate what I have said in my previous reviews, the sound coming from my flash drives is easily the best. I don’t use Bluetooth audio that often, but when I do it’s just OK. I’ve gotten very used to moving around the menus so I don’t have any problems there. Sure, the knob/controller could feel a little better though it doesn’t concern me. I still wonder if it will have the finger-writing functionality turned on – my bet is that it will never happen. Enough has been said about the Navi, however, the one thing that does irritate me is that when you have your screen in “split screen” mode and the Navi shows up on the right side would it kill to have an update to show at least some of the streets/intersections? Most of time it’s just blank streets with an arrow and that sort of is unacceptable and looks unattractive.

· - HVAC: Works great, except I did notice when I first try to turn the fan dial it only “wakes” it up and then I have to turn it again to actually have the fan speed adjusted. A delay quirk that is not really an issue, but can bother some folks. Defrosters work well though sometimes I think they shut off/turn down a little early. If you’re a person who consistently gets tall bottles/cups of coffee then getting to some of the buttons (seat warmer / heated steering wheel) may be a nuisance for you.

· NOT USED YET: Adaptive Cruise Control, Voice Controls

· WISHES:
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Quicker switch from backup camera to “normal” infotainment screen
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]CD player (I’m old school I guess)
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Dedicated sunglass holder
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Seats that warm up a bit faster
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Green seat belts!
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Rear seats that fold down (yes, I know they do in the Base/Ti)
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]A little larger glovebox
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]A bit more rear seat room
- Ventilated Seats

Exterior:
· - Front End - No Clear bra / Lights: Surprisingly (knock on wood), I have barely a chip in my front end. For that matter it still looks brand new to me. I had the passenger side headlight washer bracket repaired and that is the “norm” for these early build cars. Since my car is white has already has exposed CF bits I may plunk down the money and get the grill in CF to match everything up. I do see the cornering lights come on when I make a turn, but I tend to wonder how much that really lights up the road; I don’t notice any material difference from my other cars that don’t have this feature.

· - Side Sills: Love the look of them and the way the CF angles upwards to the rear. However, these things really catch dirt! Like the rear bumper…..

· - Rear bumper/Trunk/Exhaust Tips: ……yup, the ledge on the rear bumper catches massive dust/dirt. Just need to clean off one in a while and put a nice coat of wax on it. Trunk takes a good shove to get it to close. The exhaust tip area also catches a bit of dirt/condensation (as expected).
· - Wheels: Awesome looking and relatively easy to clean. Had the winters put on a couple of weeks ago and have not decided if I am going to get a dedicated summer set or just swap out the summers next April/May. The OEM wheels are set inside the fender a bit so I also may consider spacers.

· WISHES:
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Rear door open passively instead of having to hold front door handle first! C’mon man!
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Maybe some positive confirmation that the front diffuser has been deployed? A graphic would be nice; yeah, sort of “video game”-ish, but I think it would be cool to see.

Driving Dynamics:
· - Suspension: I’ve driven my fair share of sports cars both with OEM suspension and lowered. The QV strikes a very good balance of being aggressively tuned when it wants to be and also compliant at leisurely driving. I don’t find it excessively jarring on me on the more aggressive settings. Even in “D” mode I like the fact that you can soften the suspension if needed. Most have mentioned they would like a “custom” option, but I’m not really in that camp. The 4 modes are adequate enough for me.

· - Braking:
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]See “Interior” above

· - Acceleration: I’ve used all modes and every one works well coming off the line. I don’t seem to feel a hesitation like some others. It is very smooth.

· - Steering Feel: Very nice and quick. On cold mornings in late October/early November I did notice front tire noise when turning sharply (really just backing out in the mornings). Once I changed over to winter tires this issue disappeared so I blame it on the summer tire compound that caused the sound.

· - Stop/Start works well (double click fast): Tried less than a handful of times over 7 months, but worked flawlessly.

· - Drive Mode: I’ve primarily driven in “A” or “N” mode with a dabble now and then in “D”. I’ve put it in Race only a few times when I was with friends and showing the car off J. All are smooth and the car does feel different as you move through the different types.

· WISHES
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Exhaust sound available in all modes (yes, I’m aware there are options out there)
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Manual Transmission!

I’m hoping this 5k review will help others as they make their purchasing decision. This is a fabulous car which I intend to own for a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would recommend not to wait till 10k and change oil before cold comes.
I have a habit of changing oil at spring to flush all winter buildup and at fall to prepare car for tough winter.
remember that major measurement is not how many mile you covered but also how much engine idling, miles are not going but engine still spins.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
I would recommend not to wait till 10k and change oil before cold comes.
I have a habit of changing oil at spring to flush all winter buildup and at fall to prepare car for tough winter.
remember that major measurement is not how many mile you covered but also how much engine idling, miles are not going but engine still spins.
What builds up in oil during the winter that doesn't during the summer?

·
Registered
202 Posts
MarksGiuliaQV:
I enjoyed reading your 5K review. Thank you.
Very important for prospective buyers to get honest owner feedback, because a lot of good or bad things only become evident or manifest themselves after extended periods of usage/ownership.
I'll try to do the same when I reach the 1K mile mark.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Nice review, thanks.
How do you get that many MPG on a quad, lol. I have a total average of 20.0 in 3,500 miles.. on a base Giulia.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm in congested areas more times than I care to admit, but it's nice to pop it in D when I can.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
328 Posts
· WISHES:
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Quicker switch from backup camera to “normal” infotainment screen
I just found this today but there is a setting for the speed of switching from backup camera to "normal" infotainment that appears to default to a delay. If you turn the delay off, it switches back quite quickly. Hopefully that knocks one item off your wishlist.

·
Registered
641 Posts
· WISHES:
o Quicker switch from backup camera to “normal” infotainment screen
I just found this today but there is a setting for the speed of switching from backup camera to "normal" infotainment that appears to default to a delay. If you turn the delay off, it switches back quite quickly. Hopefully that knocks one item off your wishlist.
No kidding!? That’s an interesting find. Definitely something I will be looking at. Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I found that option and checked it off, but there still seems to be a delay. Mmmmm.....I'll check again.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
When parking, keeping the camera in a prolonged view is quite helpful...I also found that setting and quite frankly put it back to the longer delay....but that's because of the way I park at work...

Don't want any door dings......

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
When parking, keeping the camera in a prolonged view is quite helpful...I also found that setting and quite frankly put it back to the longer delay....but that's because of the way I park at work...

Don't want any door dings......
How in the world did you get the car shoehorned in there? Amazing parking job.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
What builds up in oil during the winter that doesn't during the summer?
In most engines and climates: water and blow-by. Both "burn off" over time (no burning involved, they evaporate) when the engine reaches full operating temp, but when it is cold the engine spends less time at full operating temp.

Also, I suspect that the additives in the oil for viscosity stabilization break down faster when the oil is cold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts