Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I talked to Chris at Euro and it would seem that powder coating the wheels is the cheapest. I did get a quote from a local shop and it was 450 a caliper but I am not sure I told him what I had other than brembo so size probably doesn't matter and maybe confirguartion on what they have to take apart may not matter as well.

For the guys that are racing and run through rotors and pad, are they running through calipers too or is it a kit?
you seem pretty focused on caliper color change. do it right. bradan does a bunch of Ferrari caliper color change and does a proper disassembly and paint process. call them...send the bits and you will be happy. good hunting.

http://bradangroup.com/

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Nearly $2k for refinishing the four? How much are a whole new set of four?
I talked to Chris and he couldn't say how much but he thought it was maybe closer to that per. Remember they are unique and it would be OEM in the aftermarket. I will ask the dealership the next time I am there. I honestly have no idea. I know one of our guys got new CCM brakes I am not sure if they replaced the calipers but he had some pricing. Search function doesn't work on my lap top but I thought it was call me Al.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yeah BostonDMD but they might not have given him the parts price if they replaced it all under warranty...
Yep. I hunted him down on my ipad. Calipers were fine so they didn’t replace those. Call me all only called out the rotors and pads as well. I don’t think the calipers go bad. Chris said the seals may wear but those could be replaced.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I’m sure there are people out there who track or want to convert to a CCM system that would be interested in calipers, there have been some threads on here I recall from people asking about getting parts for conversions, but yeah it’s not going to be a cheap proposition. It never usually is changing out newish parts on a newish performance car...

Also if you like people asking about calipers and complementing them people always ask why the calipers are bright yellow. Usually I get asked about the QV badge on the fenders but a close second is the yellow calipers...

They do pop really well with the dark wheels; even in the shadows when the sun’s on the other side of the car...

No doubt the yellow pops better than the red

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone here have just one set of wheels and two sets of tires (summer, winter?) are there big disadvantages to that? Most people seem to go down the two wheels, two sets of tires route. Forgive my ignorance - there is probably an obvious reason why people do that.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Does anyone here have just one set of wheels and two sets of tires (summer, winter?) are there big disadvantages to that? Most people seem to go down the two wheels, two sets of tires route. Forgive my ignorance - there is probably an obvious reason why people do that.
Well convenience and you have to pay for
8 mount and balancings every year if you only have one set of wheels but two sets of tires. Sure you’re paying up front for a whole other set of wheels but when you swap tires back and forth every winter you have to make an appointment at a shop to go in and have the tires dismounted and then swapped over to the other set to be mounted and balanced. And then do the same again in the spring. Every year this is gonna cost you probably $100-200 depending on the shop you go to and probably closer to the $200 and higher for four wheels if you use a good shop that won’t destroy your wheel’s finish and torque the crap out of the lugs. You figure if you pay around $1000 for a set of wheels you’ll probaby end up paying almost that much in 5 or 6 years time in mounting/balancing. Also don’t forget you can always sell your old wheels and get a fair chunk of your money back whereas you ain’t getting a dime back from your tire shop lol

Also if you really want you can wait til the last minute knowing if it snows or you’re getting an artic blast you can just jack up the car and do it whenever you want.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks. Just ordered with five hole. Am wondering whether to swap for the cheaper and technically better tecnico, buy the five holes and run two sets of tires.

Don’t like the look of the tecnicos as much though.

Also live in the uk and we don’t have hard hard winters (although we spend plenty of time outside the Pirelli’s optimal operating temperature, just not a huge amount of snow and ice. Just wet and autumn leaves. So not sure if it’s work it!)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Thanks. Just ordered with five hole. Am wondering whether to swap for the cheaper and technically better tecnico, buy the five holes and run two sets of tires.

Also live in the uk and we don’t have hard hard winters (although we spend plenty of time outside the Pirelli’s optimal operating temperature, just not a huge amount of snow and ice. Just wet and autumn leaves. So not sure if it’s work it!)

Here is a video on the two

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

The Tecnico are definitely NOT the cheaper. Over 5k for a set compared to $2200 for 5 hole from the dealer ebay folks say you can buy for same price but Cenerline does show Tecnico less but still way more than 5 hole. But you don't like the looks of the Tecnico you should not get them.

Here is a link to a video on wheels and caliper colors on the Quadrifoglio. It is all personal taste.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I have both sets. I put winter Michelins on the 5 hole and put the summer (stock) Pirellis on the Technocs. Both look great. But I received more compliments when the Technicos are on, although the 5 holes get more thumps up from classic Alfa fans. After living with both, I think i like the look of the car with the Technicos better. They just look a bit more aggressive. I have the dark blue exterior and both sets of wheels have the dark finish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tecnico Forged Wheels for the Win. Forged Wheels are lighter and stronger than cast aluminum wheels and if you look them up on the Centerline website you'll see that the Tecnico Wheels are $4250.00 for the set compared to $1995.00 for the set of 5-hole wheels but don't only look at the cost of the wheel, read the description.
Let me quote Centerline:

"The Tecnico wheel is a lightweight, forged performance wheel designed by Fuchs for Alfa Romeo.

These optional original equipment wheels are massively light for their size, being approximately 5 lbs per wheel lighter than the Giulia Quadrifoglio 5-Hole wheel design."

Thank you and have a great day.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I personally prefer the look of the five holes as the Tecnicos are almost identical to my old M3 Competition wheels. It is a great design and tried and proven, but it is a bit commonplace now. The five holes are only ever seen on an AR and are a tribute to a classic design.

That being said, lighter and forged is always better from a performance perspective and that is why I'm looking for a set of Tecnicos for performance driving and keeping my five holes for day-to-day.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Looks wise nothing beats the "5 hole".

101 - 120 of 134 Posts