Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The Giorgio chassis is something else. I like to call the front upper spindles "flying buttress" spindles the way they curve up around the wheel to the mounting point. Is it a ball, heim or hinge? Can't remember off hand.

And guys, the technicos are aresome and I wish I bought those and got the 5 holes aftermarket rather than 5 holes in my order. I am glad I have the 5 holes since to me they are the style required Alfa style piece (see my retro photos above) but the technicos are top notch performance wise. And yes I think I will stick with the brights on the Techs too. ;)

Tire Rack has OZ Utlraleggeras with Pirelli S2s in a winter package around $3000. 9 inch rears though. Great tires on my Miata and the plan was to wait another winter to get my money's worth out of those. Dont' drive the Corsas in winter. Regardless of the compound, the sidewalls will bubble. Those are a hot lap tire for the ring, that's it.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
You know looking at these two together now I am again perplexed. I like them both. They look better in your photos then when I was looking at them in the Showroom on Saturday. Maybe it was the bright that had a different base color behind the 5 hole. I might be able to manage the space on both of these. I like the yellow. The Bozo detailer told my husband he thought the red looked better when I told him I was looking for a guy to powder coat. I think I will go the other route and paint them if the OEM’s are painted anyway it shouldn’t be bad. Did you change your caliper color? I know someone did and I thought they used powder coat.
Here is Brembo's take on aftermarket painting of the Calipers:

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/5-reasons-not-to-use-repainted-brake-calipers-brembo

They don't offer custom painting or even repainting or any kind of direct sales or service as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Here is Brembo's take on aftermarket painting of the Calipers:

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/5-reasons-not-to-use-repainted-brake-calipers-brembo

They don't offer custom painting or even repainting or any kind of direct sales or service as far as I can tell.
Well sure but Brembo happens to be in the business of selling new brake components, they don’t make any money if you refurbish old ones or modify your own. If they can paint them... someone else can paint them too. It’s paint not magic...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am going to order the dark 5 hole I just need to make sure I get this first:

Then it will be a surprise.
The poor guy should freeze your bank account.>:)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
He has thought of that. I use many tactics to circumvent his ability to monitor. He meets the UPS / FedEx drivers and they both just shake their heads. Now, how many people would be upset with their spouse ordering "enhancements" for their QV? I could think of far worse things. I am sort of tapped out and no room at the inn for more attire and shoes and other normal goodies so now I have a new money pit to spend on. Also, don't you think he has his own "hobbies" he would like me to not necessarily be aware of? Unfortunately I have become quite literate in his hobby of competitive silhouette and all that goes with that. Amazing how much time I am willing to spend learning these trivial small details.>:)

Why do you think he has me drive the QV all the time? It is a way to get me hooked so I will spend my allowance on the enhancements so he doesn't have to. He knows me. It is part of the MASTER PLAN

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Well sure but Brembo happens to be in the business of selling new brake components, they don’t make any money if you refurbish old ones or modify your own. If they can paint them... someone else can paint them too. It’s paint not magic...
I didn't say if I agreed with them...

Real problems with aftermarket painting of calipers include:

The need to dismantle and re-assemble the caliper so that it can be properly masked. Does Brembo even sell rebuild kits?

Masking properly so that the paint goes where it is needed and not where it is not allowed. I do not know if Brembo does this but in some cases paint needs to be machined away after it is done.

The shape of the caliper is complex, making good paint coverage difficult.

The paint needs to be resistant to attack by hydraulic fluid. Most paints are not.

The paint needs to be resistant to heat. Most paints are not.

For Giulia's calipers, the paint needs to adhere to aluminum. Most paints adhere to aluminum poorly.

I expect that Brembo does not the only paint shop in the world that can deal with this competently, but I also expect that many paint shops that say they can do this properly actually cannot.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah I’d lean toward sticking with OEM finish when possible but as long as care is taken with refinishing it’s still a viable option. I know some dealers have even repainted calipers for customers. It happens if the color is a sticking point for buying. Another option is always to BUY a new set and just sell the old ones. If they are like new it shouldn’t be too hard to sell off quality lightly used parts. You figure if you’re getting a set of calipers repainted at a quality shop it could end up costing a fair bit of money anyway. The price of new ones minus the price of the sale of the original is new might it be too much different than he cost of a good refinish...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
These are the Brembo CCM Calipers. Buying new ones is mega mega bucks many thousands. Talked to our vendors. Having another buyer for the old ones considering how many QV's sold that fit a CCM rotor very tiny market. Maybe in a few years but it is still a small market. Paint is the only option and that is going to be expensive on these calipers as well. My contact with our vendor here thought that Brembos are powder coated so I will talk to the dealership locally. If they are willing to work with me on it I will go that way. He did recommend the powder coating the wheels but I think the cheapest thing is to buy 5 holes and keep the red calipers until they get chipped up and need repainting. With CCM they are meant to last the life of the car (calipers). My husband likes the Red on Red so not likely going to see as money well spent. I have a better position with the 5 holes and swapping them out with the tires each time for a change. Easiest thing to change on the QV it appears. He really likes the looks of the Dark Tecnicos I just want a contrast so it is really a marginal change. Getting the spare wheel set and swapping them out is a reversible change. New calipers is insanely priced. I don't think the calipers are the same size on the steel vs the ccm anyone no for sure?

I can say if someone hits me t bone on the front end and damages those rotors and calipers it is going to be one extremely pricey repair excluding the body work. Lets hope that does not happen but we have a very hefty policy on uninsured and underinsured.

We are keeping the car so maybe 5 years down the road we can do a makeover for fun. If he didn't get so many compliments not to mention a whole lot of people like the red on red he talks to my argument doesn't get supported. And yeh they love the wheels but these are Bimmer and Audi folks so not familiar with Alfa but they like the look of the tecnico so he is digging in on that point

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I’m sure there are people out there who track or want to convert to a CCM system that would be interested in calipers, there have been some threads on here I recall from people asking about getting parts for conversions, but yeah it’s not going to be a cheap proposition. It never usually is changing out newish parts on a newish performance car...

Also if you like people asking about calipers and complementing them people always ask why the calipers are bright yellow. Usually I get asked about the QV badge on the fenders but a close second is the yellow calipers...

They do pop really well with the dark wheels; even in the shadows when the sun’s on the other side of the car...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I have to say. I look at them and I have actually gone back and forth (very decisive I know) if it was Black hands down yellow all the way home. Rosso is tricky. I visualize it with yellow and then think that the yellow is going to pop but what will I think later (I have a tendency to say maybe I shoulda) sometimes less is more. Okay with a QV now that I say that is pretty stupid (REALLY LESS IS MORE AND YOU DRIVE A QV) WHERE IS THE LESS. Okay. I can see pros for both. The detailer preferred the subtleness of the red because of the CCMs stood out enough with the tecnico. I disagree and in that moment it provided my husband enough to say "see I told you" like okay I wasn't asking for his opinion.

It is one thing to see it in pictures. What I plan to do is to head over to some lots and take a gander at some yellows on the rosso comp vs reds. May not be QVs but they will be Tis. It is also harder because I am not looking at the same wheel but I can find a Rooso comp QV with Reds and with White with Dark and Bright 5 hole in the showroom locally since they were there last week. Heading over to pick up another Alfa Romeo black hat with the script and the Quadrifoglio on the back. These were cheaper getting at the dealer than AR shop plus no shipping. Dealer was 5 less and no shipping. I have to look at the size of your calipers and see if they are the same size. I can tell you especially with the fronts the caliper is at least a full third of the CCM that fills that hole. Regardless you can't miss the calipers even if they were black.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I’m sure there are people out there who track or want to convert to a CCM system that would be interested in calipers, there have been some threads on here I recall from people asking about getting parts for conversions, but yeah it’s not going to be a cheap proposition. It never usually is changing out newish parts on a newish performance car...

Also if you like people asking about calipers and complementing them people always ask why the calipers are bright yellow. Usually I get asked about the QV badge on the fenders but a close second is the yellow calipers...

They do pop really well with the dark wheels; even in the shadows when the sun’s on the other side of the car...

I need to live near "call me Al" there is someone that really puts the petal to the metal on the track

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I think BostonDMD is established as the most brutal driver amongst forum members. IIRC, he quickly abandoned tracking his QV due to the cost of doing so.

Anyway, changing the damaged tire on my powder coated wheel today went very smoothly. California Wheels says that paint is likely to flake and that powder coat only rarely chips (never flakes). They specify powder coat because it performs better in their experience. Of course, there should not be any paint or powder coat on the seat and the tire installation tool should not touch anything but the back side of the hub and the seat. We had some discussion about proper inflation pressure and lug nut tightening torque.

I find that once the low pressure alarm is set it may be necessary to temporarily over inflate the tires to get the alarm to shut off. Maybe I haven't given it enough time?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I talked to Chris at Euro and it would seem that powder coating the wheels is the cheapest. I did get a quote from a local shop and it was 450 a caliper but I am not sure I told him what I had other than brembo so size probably doesn't matter and maybe confirguartion on what they have to take apart may not matter as well.

For the guys that are racing and run through rotors and pad, are they running through calipers too or is it a kit?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I talked to Chris at Euro and it would seem that powder coating the wheels is the cheapest. I did get a quote from a local shop and it was 450 a caliper but I am not sure I told him what I had other than brembo so size probably doesn't matter and maybe confirguartion on what they have to take apart may not matter as well.

For the guys that are racing and run through rotors and pad, are they running through calipers too or is it a kit?
My experience with street use is that calipers last "forever". Eventually the rubber will "perish" but rebuild kits are usually available to fix that at a reasonable cost. Historically the cast iron calipers can be killed by rust from water contamination of the brake fluid, but that is why you are supposed to flush your brake fluid periodically. I do not know if any such issue can happen with the new aluminum body, stainless steel piston calipers we have on Giulia.

At least for the rear brakes of the 4 cylinder models (single piston, sliding caliper type) the brake pucks run directly on the caliper adapter. This makes the caliper adapter a wear item that may eventually need to be replaced to stop brake squeal. Most designs of this type have replaceable thin metal springs between the adapter and the pucks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Nearly $2k for refinishing the four? How much are a whole new set of four?

81 - 100 of 134 Posts