Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, you’re braver than I!

Mine was just at the dealer last week and they didn’t indicate any update was recommended* and I don’t seem to have any issues with mine, so I think I’ll hold for now.

*They did apply an update to my HVAC though.
I also go the HVAC update recently.

Seems like my infotainment is a bit out of date…

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
Yes, SW update. I never had any issue, but this is what I found on the NHTSA site (For MY21)

“The customer may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination with the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) or the symptom/conditions listed below: B10C8-36 - Cabin Fan Brushless - Signal Frequency Too Low. The HVAC fan stops working after a Engine Start/Stop (ESS) function.”
I never saw the MIL, but had the fan stop working as part of a start/stop. Wouldn't come back on until I shut the car off and turned back on again. This is what prompted the software update for me.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
Maybe that’s why I never saw the issue. I always disable start/stop as soon as I start the car.
I usually do after the car warms up. Letting the car stop during warm up I believe helps it get to temp faster as it basically becomes a heat sink without fans or coolant running. In this case I was following an ambulance to the hospital (all good) which was super annoying when it was 108 degrees outside and I didn’t have the normal leisure of pulling over.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. The NA spec car infotainment is the same as the EU ones, other than the map/navigation files. Sure you don't need to install it, but there will be general improvements if you do. If you read other peoples posts you would see they are having quicker loading and response on the touch screen. I'm not going to make a list of changes but it seems to be working much smoother than before.
Yes, but does your car now demand you pump “petrol” in stations that measure by the “liter” and suddenly have bad teeth?

• Haha
Reactions: learner.seeker

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
I did the update. But now my connected devices don’t work… SOS, Assist Call, etc… they were working before 😞
Wasn’t it mentioned this is a Europe specific update? Maybe your car is looking for satellites on the wrong side of the planet now?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
I didn’t see that anywhere. It is Euro specific? My radio is still NA spec and my GPS work so does crappy XM. So I doubt you’re right…

@GreenAlfa are you in USA? Do you have these issues?

I think we didn’t get this OTA because that update is for EMEA (according to the release notes). I don’t think we need to install it on a NA spec car… 🤔
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. The NA spec car infotainment is the same as the EU ones, other than the map/navigation files. Sure you don't need to install it, but there will be general improvements if you do. If you read other peoples posts you would see they are having quicker loading and response on the touch screen. I'm not going to make a list of changes but it seems to be working much smoother than before.

I'm not aware of OTA updates, maybe you can do some research and get back to us on that.
The release refers to EMEA. I don’t know if there is a difference between our models and theirs to be honest. But why not refer to NA also? That’s what worried me.

The 2020+ are supposed to get OTA updates. Not sure why they’re not getting pushed…
You were the person who said EMEA? Doesn’t that mean Europe, Middle East, Africa?

Now I’m confused.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
Yes but then I was told that it’s universal… everything else works that uses satellites so it’s not a satellite thing…

anyways it’s Alfa Connect which sucks as it offers nothing in North America compared to Europe…
I know very little about satellite systems so I’m making laymen’s assumptions here… but possibly the connected systems are looking for specific satellites in a geosynchronous orbit around earth? If so, an NA based car may have a hard time finding a new satellite with the earth in between it now??

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
827 Posts
Alfa Connect uses GPS positioning but if your assumption was correct then Sirius wouldn’t work; it does…
This is a more technical thing, but different services may use different satellite networks?

By no means am I trying to argue with you. Could be totally wrong. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 10 of 10 Posts