Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
:cool: very very cool....
I know its not the proper thing to do (Guilty as charged)....but I did it only once....when instructors went out first....and I had 1 other instructor in the car with me and 2 novice students in the rear seats (E39 M5).....
Chief Instructor told the corner men to flag me.....everytime I passed:grin2:.....when we got back in I thought he was going to have a stroke he was so mad at me....I felt really bad for what I did....in the club house at lunch he pulled me to the side and said "How much fun was that??"....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Pshaw!
A yellow caution , blue or red flag penalty pit stop or drive through, should have been the first step.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:cool: very very cool....
I know its not the proper thing to do (Guilty as charged)....but I did it only once....when instructors went out first....and I had 1 other instructor in the car with me and 2 novice students in the rear seats (E39 M5).....
Chief Instructor told the corner men to flag me.....everytime I passed:grin2:.....when we got back in I thought he was going to have a stroke he was so mad at me....I felt really bad for what I did....in the club house at lunch he pulled me to the side and said "How much fun was that??"....
It seems we have one more thing in common.....lol
I have been black flagged several times myself....... but never for lighting up the rear tires..... it seems the driver was in complete control and having a blast with his QV, I agree, what is wrong with that?:D

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I can understand at an HPDE event especially if it is open to all classes....you don't want impressionable people to do things that they are not capable of doing especially with other drivers on the course at the same time....every now & then when instructors were allowed to go out by themselves as a group did you see some ahem I believe the term used now is hooningans???..yes?....
my lapse in judgement was an Hommage to my first M-School instructor the legend himself Donnie Isley..aka "der driftmeister" made me cry & laugh at the same time during my time there...LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lol, that was last weekend. I was there with him. I don't know him personally but he was in an advanced run group, so he's an experienced track driver. Car was beautiful to see on the track, and in the paddocks. Great times at COTA.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a different view of the QV at Chin Event.....

He has a good line, nice car control skills.....we got to invite Andrea to our next track event......:grin2:

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Niice

No doubt the guy is good....very very good....funny how he gave the point-by to what looked like a Cayman...and into the next turn immediately following the P-Car muffed the line....looked like he could have passed that car handily....
car looks really balanced at the track...very tossible and easily brought back in when she gets loose...
I have never been to COTA, have a friend who goes every year for the F1 race...and the ONLY nit to pick he has ever had is that it is in the middle of nowhere practically....but he said every seat is a good one!....
thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm guessing the corner worker saw smoke and black-flagged the car to make sure there was no fire. I doubt it was a disciplinary flag but rather a technical flag. Since it's an HPDE day, I doubt they had the meatball flags with them, and not enough drivers would know what those mean anyway. Just black flag the car, make sure it's ok, and then carry on.

Remember, a lot of cars simply can't do this, so it's not a site corner workers are used to seeing. *Usually* smoke means fire and is treated as such. Hard to tell if it's a drift with so many engines running, because tire sounds get drowned out.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I gathered from the Porsche site I frequent, where a couple of people were in attendance at that event, the driver was told several times to stop drifting/power sliding, but "ignored" the warnings and continued......
My only guess is that the QV will do that to you, take you in a state of oblivion where you just can't control yourself.......:grin2:

BTW, the fact that the QV easily kept up with the GT4 (which is regarded as a pure track toy) was quite impressive.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts