Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about replacing my Pirelli P7 225/40-R19 tires. I have 8" 5-hole dark rims all around.

My Giulia is a Ti with a few mods. No staggered wheels though (although do have wheel spacers). Was thinking about replacing the 225's with 235's. Seems like a safe and compatible switch..

Has anyone tried running 235/40-19's on their 8" rims ? Your thoughts ?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
36 Posts
The OEM 225/40s have a bit of stretch on 8" wheels, and seem very susceptible to curbing.

235/40s would fit nicely, however, there are no high-performance all-season tires available in that size.

There are a lot more tire options in 245/40. Still fits on 8" wheel, but protrudes a bit past the edge of the wheel so you probably don't need to worry about curbing it. Adds 8mm of ride height and just over 2% speedo error. I am leaning in this direction.

Another option with good tire selection is 245/35, which is the OEM front size on the Quadrifoglio, but it has a shorter sidewall than 225/40, so may firm up the ride slightly...

Reactions: Tony Bonanno

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The OEM 225/40s have a bit of stretch on 8" wheels, and seem very susceptible to curbing.

235/40s would fit nicely, however, there are no high-performance all-season tires available in that size.

There are a lot more tire options in 245/40. Still fits on 8" wheel, but protrudes a bit past the edge of the wheel so you probably don't need to worry about curbing it. Adds 8mm of ride height and just over 2% speedo error. I am leaning in this direction.

Another option with good tire selection is 245/35, which is the OEM front size on the Quadrifoglio, but it has a shorter sidewall than 225/40, so may firm up the ride slightly...
Thanks Pure&Simple, feedback much appreciated. Will also consider the 245/40. I have to admit, my wheels currently seem quite susceptible to curb rash. I'm always being super careful. I don't mind a little speedo error, but want to make sure I don't compromise safety in hard cornering and high speed...

·
Registered
456 Posts

I've been also contemplating eventually replacing the OEM 225/40s with 235/40s. I did found two high-performance all seasons, the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric and Yokohama Advan Sport, but you are right, there definitely lot more options in 245/40s. I would still however prefer the 235s as they would only raise the ride height by 4mm.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been also contemplating eventually replacing the OEM 225/40s with 235/40s. I did found two high-performance all seasons, the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric and Yokohama Advan Sport, but you are right, there definitely lot more options in 245/40s. I would still however prefer the 235s as they would only raise the ride height by 4mm.
I had the Eagle Asymmetric All Season Ultra High Performance on my BMW 4 Series (staggered setup). I thought the Eagles were pretty good overall. I might just go with them again in the 235-40 R19... Still thinking about the 245's though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could also go with 245/35 (the OEM front size on the Quadrifoglio). There is a good tire selection in that size. That would actually lower the ride height slightly, but possibly ride a bit more harshly.

I feel like I would only notice the higher CG at high-gs, but I would notice the smoother ride all the time.

For a daily driver, the taller tire seems better to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I pulled the trigger on 245/40/19s... been driving on them for a few days now and i'm in LOVE.

The extra width improves the handling and the slightly taller sidewall and non-runflat tire makes the ride quality just sublime. It makes me smile every time I go over a bump. New sounds are "tump, tump" instead of "wham, wham" on the 225/40s.

Added bonus: the Q4 fender gap doesn't look as big (pics forthcoming).

Another added bonus: the tire protrudes just slightly 1/4-1/2" past the edge of the wheel to prevent curbing. It looks much more "normal" than the stretched 225/40s.

I would go as far as to say that 245/40 should have been the factory fitment.

Speedometer error is approximately +1mph at 70, so you have to set the cruise control a little lower than before. Because they are non-runflat, I picked up a Slime Flat Tire Repair System on Amazon. No other downsides to speak of.

(I'm using Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires, which is the best high performance all-season tire you can buy with decent snow traction. Other tire options are better in dry/wet but lack snow capabilities.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I pulled the trigger on 245/40/19s... been driving on them for a few days now and i'm in LOVE.

The extra width improves the handling and the slightly taller sidewall and non-runflat tire makes the ride quality just sublime. It makes me smile every time I go over a bump. New sounds are "tump, tump" instead of "wham, wham" on the 225/40s.

Added bonus: the Q4 fender gap doesn't look as big (pics forthcoming).

Another added bonus: the tire protrudes just slightly 1/4-1/2" past the edge of the wheel to prevent curbing. It looks much more "normal" than the stretched 225/40s.

I would go as far as to say that 245/40 should have been the factory fitment.

Speedometer error is approximately +1mph at 70, so you have to set the cruise control a little lower than before. Because they are non-runflat, I picked up a Slime Flat Tire Repair System on Amazon. No other downsides to speak of.

(I'm using Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires, which is the best high performance all-season tire you can buy with decent snow traction. Other tire options are better in dry/wet but lack snow capabilities.)
Thanks for the update Pure&Simple. These are on 8" rims, right? Look forward to some pics...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, here are the pics!

245/40 mounted on 19x8" wheels is about 1/4" wider than wheel on either side, which looks more "normal" than the stretched 225/40s to my eyes and should help prevent curbing.

Attachments

Reactions: Denis85

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have spacers on your wheels ? They look good. Wider I'm sure. Have you noticed any difference in handling, ride quality ?

Thanks for posting the pics..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you have spacers on your wheels ? They look good. Wider I'm sure. Have you noticed any difference in handling, ride quality ?

Thanks for posting the pics..
The close-up is of the front wheels. I think they only need a 5mm spacer to be flush (or at least that's what EuroCompulsion sells in their spacer kit). Since the tires are 1/4" wider than the wheels, the front wheels look flush. Rears are still tucked in of course.

The ride quality is SUBLIME and the most obvious improvement. You hear "tump tump" instead of the "wham wham" from the 225/40s. Seriously, this puts a smile on my face everywhere I go.

You can feel the extra width in the tires, which changes the feel slightly for the better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Decided to go with 235/40-19's

The close-up is of the front wheels. I think they only need a 5mm spacer to be flush (or at least that's what EuroCompulsion sells in their spacer kit). Since the tires are 1/4" wider than the wheels, the front wheels look flush. Rears are still tucked in of course.

The ride quality is SUBLIME and the most obvious improvement. You hear "tump tump" instead of the "wham wham" from the 225/40s. Seriously, this puts a smile on my face everywhere I go.

You can feel the extra width in the tires, which changes the feel slightly for the better.
I checked my tire wear (about 7300 miles on them) and the rear's are pretty worn.. surprisingly so. Fronts were good. Decided to take them off and keep them for when I return the lease. I don't think I could get another 3000 miles on the rear (safely), but there is still enough tread to satisfy the lease return. Just ordered the P7 Cinturado All Season PLUS in 235/40/19 (not run flats). Should have them mounted next week sometime. The P7 PLUS gets pretty good reviews (still V rated, 149 mph) and it comes with a 70,000 mile warranty. The other P7 All Season has NO tread warranty. I think the 235's will be just fine and look a bit better than the 225's that came on the car.

There were a lot more options with the 245/40-19 size, but the P7 Plus in 235/40-19 looks like a pretty good match for the Ti Giulia.

Will let you know my impressions once I've got some miles on them.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
Too much tire for that rim. That's just my opinion.
That is why I also swapped my wheels out for 19x8.5 Tecnicos to mount my 245 35r19 tires. Even so, there is no stretch as the tread on the Pirellis is narrow relative to the tire width while the tread on my Michelin tires is wide relative to the tire width. The "tape measure" difference in tread width is nearly 1.5 inches (35mm?), which is considerably more than the nominal 20mm tire width increase.

Although not stretched, I figure if it is good enough to set a record at NBG, it is good enough for me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just installed the 235/40-19 P7 All Season PLUS on my Giulia. Appearance is pretty much the same as the 225's. I think they look good. But they don't look larger in any noticeable way..

Couple of observations related to how the 235/40-19 P7 PLUS compares to the 225 OEM P7:

1. Wheel Rim seems even more venerable to curb rash. Tire does not protrude past the rim as much as the 225 run flats did. So no benefit there.
2. Ride and handling seems similar to the 225's, but a bit smoother. Bumps are a bit softer as you'd expect on a non-run flat.
3. The P7 PLUS is rated well compared to other all season V rated tires.. According to Tire Rack, the PLUS version is rated better in every category than the regular P7 All Season ...
4. The P7 PLUS comes with a 70,000 mi Pirelli treadwear warranty..
5. The P7 PLUS is not a run flat, but it does incorporate puncture sealing. The ‘Plus’ moniker refers to Pirelli’s Puncture Control Technology called Seal Inside. Acording to Pirelli, this technology will enable you to still drive your vehicle safely even after a puncture.

On paper at least, the PLUS P7 appears to have some very real advantages over the OEM tire. Time will tell.

My car is an AWD Ti Sport, so it sits a little higher than some of the Giulias. Pics attached (taken right after they were mounted and pretty dirty).

I'll report back after getting some mileage on them...

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures! I think the tire looks really good! Could you please clarify point #1? I would have thought the 235 tire being slightly wider would protrude more and would give some curb rush protection. Is the rim guard possibly smaller on the 235 than it was on the 225?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures! I think the tire looks really good! Could you please clarify point #1? I would have thought the 235 tire being slightly wider would protrude more and would give some curb rush protection. Is the rim guard possibly smaller on the 235 than it was on the 225?
Yes, I was surprised that the amount of rubber protruding past the rim was actually less than on the 225's ... sidewall maybe 3/8" beyond the wheel at the rim.. at the most..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok, here are the pics!

245/40 mounted on 19x8" wheels is about 1/4" wider than wheel on either side, which looks more "normal" than the stretched 225/40s to my eyes and should help prevent curbing.
Just to confirm do you have a Q4? I was going to purchase new rear wheels and stagger my Q4, but i think matching your setup will do. I want a balance between winter and summer performance.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I was looking at winter setups and Tire Rack has the stock spec tires on narrower rims. 8 front 9 rear for the Quad. Diameter does not change on the calculators.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got the same Continental’s put on the other day. Looks pretty good. The 5mm spacer come tomorrow so hopefully I can find time to put them on the rear wheels this weekend. I’ll post pics when done.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts