Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
It isn't that simple. Manufacturers have to go through extensive calibration, durability and emissions testing to offer a new power output on a given powertrain.
I wonder if Alfa will drop in the hybrid power train from the grecale which puts out 325hp. That would be nice. Probably will fit in the stelvio but maybe not the giulia. No idea if possible.

Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Registered
70 Posts
Alfa Romeo has just released the Giulia Speciale in Canada. Only 15 cars will be made, all in Verde Montreal, which was normally QV only.
Would probably have got one of those rather than the red Estrema I have just ordered (if it was available in the UK). Primarily for the colour and the yellow calipers

It's a bit of a mix - Veloce seats, otherwise Estrema interior - (would've also preferred the Veloce seats to the Alcantara). Estrema wheels. Only additional carbon is sills

Ron didn't mention the roof - looks like a panoramic sunroof.

Seems to be a modified Estrema more than a modified Veloce (as has the active suspension of the former)

·
Registered
Pirelli P Zero AR Pirelli Sottozero 3
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Would probably have got one of those rather than the red Estrema I have just ordered (if it was available in the UK). Primarily for the colour and the yellow calipers

It's a bit of a mix - Veloce seats, otherwise Estrema interior - (would've also preferred the Veloce seats to the Alcantara). Estrema wheels. Only additional carbon is sills

Ron didn't mention the roof - looks like a panoramic sunroof.

Seems to be a modified Estrema more than a modified Veloce (as has the active suspension of the former)
Estrema is a modified Veloce also.

·
Registered
Pirelli P Zero AR Pirelli Sottozero 3
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I wonder if Alfa will drop in the hybrid power train from the grecale which puts out 325hp. That would be nice. Probably will fit in the stelvio but maybe not the giulia. No idea if possible.
Possibly. I’d like to see if it’s quicker with AWD as the Ghibli Hybrid (RWD only) is slower than the 2.0L Giulia Q4. Also it gets worse gas mileage than the diesel it replaced, so it’s not winning there either. Sort of an odd duck overall.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Estrema is a modified Veloce also.
Well, yes. Just bought one to replace my Veloce. Was talking about variant progression - they've taken all but one of the Estrema mods to Veloce (carbon inside and out, HK audio, leather interior, (much nicer - i.e.Quad) wheels, active suspension), then just added carbon sills from the old Ti and put the leather Veloce seats back in. Play around with the paint (very nice) and then include a panoramic sunroof which is an option on either Veloce or Estrema. It's much closer to the Estrema mod than the original Veloce - and includes the only thing I like in the Veloce over the Estrema; leather rather than Alacantra seats. My Estrema has the sun roof option (I think it looks great on a red car), so it's basically set up exactly how I would want the Estrema to be... (leaving aside the complication that the UK doesn't get AWD and I assume Canada always gets it because of much hasher winters?)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lots of great points made, and honestly it’s all still a mystery to me. In my limited experience selling Alfas (or not really selling Alfas lol) people expected huge discounts for cars on the lot. Most people wanted something unique and “different” with respect to the typical offerings in the rest of the market just for difference’s sake and were not actually passionate about the Alfa brand itself. Disappointing as someone who loves and appreciates what brand values Alfa (historically) stands for. This meant people weren’t interested in ordering cars, especially because of the fact that there’s an implication that you will not get a dealer discount when you’re doing a custom order. The business model of dealers has changed from having massive inventories on lots to ordering cars for customers, but only as a consequence of circumstances across the industry with limited availability of cars. I think they began condensing and limiting options before this trend went into full effect.

The Corvette and 911 are STORIED cars. They have always had the luxury of having a huge demand and therefore a much higher percentage of orders. They build cars once they have buyers meaning demand meets or exceeded supply. This is perfect for them to be profitable. Options are where the guap is. Everyone has an uncle or a neighbor who had one. There are a zillion generations and special editions and the aftermarket is plentiful and there’s all kinds of tradition and racing history etc etc that goes on here. They are a known quantity/quality. People spend their entire lives lusting after one. They are the epitome of “I made it and I’m rewarding my success” retirement cars. The kinds of cars people love building 100% uniquely. Alfa does not have that history and reputation in the US. So when Alfa dealers are ordering 98% of the cars built and building them in the generic way to move them easily then you are wasting money as an OEM on making sure you develop all the extra options.

My car is a 2020 Ti Sport with Rosso Comp and the Cuoio interior, red calipers, staggered dark 5-holes, and no sunroof! Did it have the H&K and the adaptive cruise that I thought I didn’t need but wish I had now? Of course not. At the time I got it in August of 2020 I had so many options of vehicles to choose from and considered three different cars which all had most options that worked for me with two or three others that were missing. Because cars were so a la carte back then the dealers had to choose from so many specific options and they were never going to build the exact car anyone wanted.

My take is that they shouldn’t have had so many options to begin with when their only avenue of selling cars was to have dealers order everything, flood their lots, and offer $8k in discounts for buyers who don’t care what colors their calipers are or which colors are even offered. More available options means the cars are missing the ones you want more often. Fewer options=less variance=more consistent customer expectations. There is absolutely value in prospective buyers being able to easily understand the logic to the packages and trims and options available in the car they’re looking to buy. You want to know exactly what you’re getting vs what’s possible.

Not that this was the trajectory I had hoped for with the brand in the US, but it is the reality. It comes down to the fact that they have ZERO idea on how to market their cars on top of a shady reliability record and spotty/incomplete dealer network which lacks experience in this niche space. I’m not sure if I should cancel my M240i XDrive order or not… part of me wants to enjoy this now very unique and lovely Alfa for as long as makes sense to. I have it set up just the way I want it. Haven't had any issues myself knock on wood. Can’t fathom trading her in for a new Alfa at any point

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lots of great points made, and honestly it’s all still a mystery to me. In my limited experience selling Alfas (or not really selling Alfas lol) people expected huge discounts for cars on the lot. Most people wanted something unique and “different” with respect to the typical offerings in the rest of the market just for difference’s sake and were not actually passionate about the Alfa brand itself. Disappointing as someone who loves and appreciates what brand values Alfa (historically) stands for. This meant people weren’t interested in ordering cars, especially because of the fact that there’s an implication that you will not get a dealer discount when you’re doing a custom order. The business model of dealers has changed from having massive inventories on lots to ordering cars for customers, but only as a consequence of circumstances across the industry with limited availability of cars. I think they began condensing and limiting options before this trend went into full effect.

The Corvette and 911 are STORIED cars. They have always had the luxury of having a huge demand and therefore a much higher percentage of orders. They build cars once they have buyers meaning demand meets or exceeded supply. This is perfect for them to be profitable. Options are where the guap is. Everyone has an uncle or a neighbor who had one. There are a zillion generations and special editions and the aftermarket is plentiful and there’s all kinds of tradition and racing history etc etc that goes on here. They are a known quantity/quality. People spend their entire lives lusting after one. They are the epitome of “I made it and I’m rewarding my success” retirement cars. The kinds of cars people love building 100% uniquely. Alfa does not have that history and reputation in the US. So when Alfa dealers are ordering 98% of the cars built and building them in the generic way to move them easily then you are wasting money as an OEM on making sure you develop all the extra options.

My car is a 2020 Ti Sport with Rosso Comp and the Cuoio interior, red calipers, staggered dark 5-holes, and no sunroof! Did it have the H&K and the adaptive cruise that I thought I didn’t need but wish I had now? Of course not. At the time I got it in August of 2020 I had so many options of vehicles to choose from and considered three different cars which all had most options that worked for me with two or three others that were missing. Because cars were so a la carte back then the dealers had to choose from so many specific options and they were never going to build the exact car anyone wanted.

My take is that they shouldn’t have had so many options to begin with when their only avenue of selling cars was to have dealers order everything, flood their lots, and offer $8k in discounts for buyers who don’t care what colors their calipers are or which colors are even offered. More available options means the cars are missing the ones you want more often. Fewer options=less variance=more consistent customer expectations. There is absolutely value in prospective buyers being able to easily understand the logic to the packages and trims and options available in the car they’re looking to buy. You want to know exactly what you’re getting vs what’s possible.

Not that this was the trajectory I had hoped for with the brand in the US, but it is the reality. It comes down to the fact that they have ZERO idea on how to market their cars on top of a shady reliability record and spotty/incomplete dealer network which lacks experience in this niche space. I’m not sure if I should cancel my M240i XDrive order or not… part of me wants to enjoy this now very unique and lovely Alfa for as long as makes sense to. I have it set up just the way I want it. Haven't had any issues myself knock on wood. Can’t fathom trading her in for a new Alfa at any point
Aren't a good proportion of Alfas built to order - in which case options don’t matter too much? I can’t see much of a problem for Alfa to offer different coloured callipers or wheels or boot spoiler - all virtually the last things to be fitted? The only offers on my Estrema (apart from colours) were sunroof and driver assist which affect the build schedule much more (though I assume much of the driver assist is in the software). Really don’t understand why Alfa have cut back easy-to-fit options so much.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts