Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,914 Posts
I can't understand why Alfa doesn't allow ordering cars to customer specs using all the parts already tooled up for these vehicles. If they can't devote resources to updating ICE cars, why not let buyers choose from all the existing parts?
Meeting corporate complexity reduction metrics.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Yeah, that's the company line, but as one who worked for an OEM and responsible for a similar program in the '90s I can tell you a lot of it is just "gut feel", that the cost savings can't be quantified. In any event, additional vehicle sales as a result of giving customers what they want quickly exceed any cost savings from cancelled options.
I am also familiar with the subject based on experience. Savings, if any, would come from reduced supplier prices, lower logistics costs, or decreased assembly plant labor. My "gut feel" is that only the middle item is likely. Let's see whether Stellantis cites complexity optimization (or some such) for cutting costs in its next financial statements and how significant those savings are.

Reactions: Glenn and Red Devil

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Yeah, that's the company line, but as one who worked for an OEM and responsible for a similar program in the '90s I can tell you a lot of it is just "gut feel", that the cost savings can't be quantified. In any event, additional vehicle sales as a result of giving customers what they want quickly exceed any cost savings from cancelled options.
I am also familiar with the subject based on experience. Savings, if any, would come from reduced supplier prices, lower logistics costs, or decreased assembly plant labor. My "gut feel" is that only the middle item is likely. Let's see whether Stellantis cites complexity optimization (or some such) for cutting costs in its next financial statements and how significant those savings are.
My guess is that Alfa has such small sales volume that this complexity reduction project would get lost in the clutter (not mentioned).
I'm thinking from an overall corporate perspective rather than vehicle specific. If savings for RAM trucks aren't significant, then there is probably little to be had. Something like this could kill the "buzz models" some North American Stellantis brands bring to market with relative regularity.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
From my OEM experience (over 35 yrs) in engineering + marketing, there is much more profit to be made from adding desirable customer features that drive vehicle sales than the inverse - reducing corporate parts complexity. As I've said, I favor opening up the options on Giulia/Stelvio to encompass all the choices offered through the years, as customer orderable cars. I'd only delete those choices which few wanted historically. Even all exterior colors should be offered and done in batches; that may lengthen build dates, but it would give buyers what they want (and keep the assembly plant open and dealers happy as they move more units).
Reducing complexity might make sense if you offer 17 different cars with 3 body styles, 5 engines and 6 trim levels each.

Reducing complexity for 2 cars with 3 engines - specifically marketed towards "individualists") is peak Alfa corporate idiocy.
Yes, he "gets it". If your primary focus is on the next chapter (EVs), at least give customers reasons to purchase your products in the meantime.
Looks like we are in agreement.

Here is a rolling example of complexity: Build & Price Your New Ram Vehicle | Ram

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
So that's roughly $57,000 USD. And only 15 available. Wonder what the dealer markup will be on those babies?
That's a bargain imho as my 2020 Carbon costs over $60k MSRP although i paid nowhere near that price.
I wonder how many of them will sit on dealer lots for months only to be sold for bargain prices.

I'm one of those lost Alfa new car sales (which would have been my third Giulia). Maybe I'll get a 2024 or 2025 (if there is such a thing) if the offering is desirable to me.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
BS, Biscione. I worked for an OEM for many years and part of that time I created the options listing for the brands I worked on. Once the parts are tooled and the business is placed with sources it's no big deal to offer them up to consumers. The assembly line workers pull parts from this bin versus that one. The fact that the Alfas are low-volume cars helps this happen and plays to the customers of these admittedly "enthusiast" cars. Give the buyers what they want.
Parts such as seats, instrument panels, door trim, and fascias are also often sequenced, so no “bin picking” is required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts