Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
201 - 220 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,927 Posts
Pleasant surprise since a handful of salesmen told me it's plastic. Some others didn't have a clue what it is.
Salesmen (and women) without a clue, so business as usual.

I see 2022 as a largely carryover year, with a couple of new colors and aggressive product simplification.

Reactions: johnalfa

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any updates on the availability of Active Suspension for the Veloce? After 11 pages it seems like it's mostly just "not listed" vs. officially dropped. Hopefully it isn't dropped.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Last I heard, adaptive suspension is now QV only.

I hope I heard wrong.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,049 Posts
When do they plan on making these changes in options public on the website via the configurator?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,894 Posts
I'm guessing July 1st, but what do I know.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,005 Posts
Usually it's q4, but q3 this year would be nice

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any updates on the availability of Active Suspension for the Veloce? After 11 pages it seems like it's mostly just "not listed" vs. officially dropped. Hopefully it isn't dropped.
Larry Dominique will be on Autoline after hours next Thursday (6/17) at 3 PM Est. Maybe we can figure out what is actually happening over the next year.

Simplifying the offer was one of the points Larry Dominique mentioned. With that in mind I looked at US specs/options on the configurator and they do seem to be pretty complicated. I get that the Q4 is relevant in some parts of the country so that immediately increases the number of variants compared to here and the UK (just q2's available) and that there is a need to step through a series of price points which some markets do by starting with the 200hp motor for the Speciale/Sprint then jumping to the 280hop motor in the Veloce/Ti.

By comparison the Veloce here has just a handful of variations and options:

Basics
Colours - similar to the US
Interior Colours - black, red, tan
Brake calipers - yellow, black, red (some of these at additional cost)

Options
HK audio
Sunroof

Everything else in the Veloce is standard - 35w Xenons, LSD, Active suspension, all the safety acronyms that are included in the Active Assist package, the wireless charger, the leather dash and door tops, paddles, 8.8 in info system, staggered dark 19"wheels etc.

I know the idea of having lot's of choice for Americans is a big deal but for the volume involved would it not just better to package up a couple of well specced variants across a couple of key price points and then have the option to purchase those with either q2 or q4 drive trains? Along with a nero or carbon pack perhaps (which we don't have).

Roof and audio options aside I kind of like the idea of Alfa saying this TI Sport (or Veloce) represents the best form/specification of the Guilia in the range and is our premium version with the best in performance and features available. (QV aside talking on 2ltrs here).

So would having a better packaged set of two or three models (sprint, Ti or Ti Sport for example) not be better than offering a whole bundle of options and variations some of which must sell in micro numbers? Would a reduction in choice really make a difference to sales volumes if the model steps were well thought out?

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Good points, @Norwood61. I think a lot of content and colour decisions are made with a thought to dealer stock, which is the way most in the US get their cars. I ordered my 2020, so perhaps created a unicorn. While I can stomach a sunroof (weight, loss of headroom, and a feature I almost never use), the absence of active suspension will be a big deal for me as I think it adds a lot to the car. I don't care about cosmetic options, but would have enjoyed a new brake caliper colour the next time 'round.

·
Registered
106 Posts
@Norwood61 yes, absolutely.

Less variation, means fewer SKUs, which makes AR's internal/dealer life easier, and allows consumers to more easily find their car on the dealer lot. It also helps to increase the average selling price, as you increase the price due to more standard features. In the end this just makes the cars appear to have more content, which buyers want.

Subaru does a very good job of creating trims w/ lots of content at price points that consumers want to pay. There are very few additional options at each level, maybe add Navigation, etc. This simplifies the process and makes it easier to find your dream car.

It kills me to have to read a window sticker to figure out what options are on a Giulia. Makes searching through dealer inventory a chore (and the AR builder never has my car in stock).

·
Registered
106 Posts
It will be, but it says later.

View attachment 110890
From another thread:
Just got word from the dealer that Verde Montreal will be available immediately when production of the Quadrifoglio starts in September. So I've changed my order to Verde Montreal with dark Tecnico wheels.
So, which is it? Late Availability (2022), or September 2021?

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, which is it? Late Availability (2022), or September 2021?
A month ago the dealer told me that Verde Montreal wouldn't be available until Q3/2022 but this has now changed. They are going to start production of the QV in September and Verde Montreal will be available at the same time as the other "standard" colors. I don't know about Rosso Etna and Ocra GT though (I didn't ask because I was only interested in Verde Montreal)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Went to Westbury AR and test drove a 2021 Q4.

No idea on late availability for colors. He could order Rosso Etna now. Delivery could be anytime.

They also said no Active Suspension for MY22.

Apparently it isn’t popular and the guy said he couldn’t really tell the difference from a standard Giulia suspension.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts

Apparently it isn’t popular and the guy said he couldn’t really tell the difference from a standard Giulia suspension.
Was the guy previously a mattress salesman?

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
If so, he likely told his customers, “I can’t tell the difference between firm and soft mattresses. They’re all the same...”
Mattress salesmen are just the opposite; they try to talk customers into buying more expensive mattresses that don't feel any different.

Reactions: TedO and johnalfa

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Alfa Rosso/Tan
131 Posts
My observations on 2022 ordering:
  • It truly is a shame that the tan interior, yellow calipers, active suspension and five hole wheels are no longer available on the veloce. You can still get a high temp vinyl wrap on the calipers to rectify those, but the others are not so easy. A key part of Alfa Romeo appeal is in their design, so anything that dilutes that is really unfortunate.
  • Most buyers in this segment will love the standard sunroof. There is a very vocal minority amongst enthusiasts on this forum that would rather not have one, but I actually think it’s a good move on Alfa’s part to make the car more appealing in base form.
  • Streamlining is a good thing if it improves Alfa’s bottom line and allows them to continue developing other cars such as the tonale and GTV. Someone on here mentioned it - JIT manufacturing is tough and costly, so any improvements in consistent packaging will help a lot without impacting quality. I think we should be celebrating that. Bitter pill to swallow, but healthy in the long run.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Went to Westbury AR and test drove a 2021 Q4.

No idea on late availability for colors. He could order Rosso Etna now. Delivery could be anytime.

Either "the guy" is a typical BS'ing car salesman, or an idiot. The difference is night & day and can be felt over any decent-sized bump on the road.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Either "the guy" is a typical BS'ing car salesman, or an idiot. The difference is night & day and can be felt over any decent-sized bump on the road.
Unfortunately, I hope not lol. If it really is gone for 2022 I won't be able to enjoy it. I cannot find an existing 2021 with the options I want. They have made the old "a la carte" options so annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This might be the push I need to get some protection on my cars paint. TI Carbon, Rosso Comp, Active Suspension... killer ride and there won't be many optioned like it... now if only I could get some Yellow Calipers...

I ultimately think that the simplification will be good for Alfa. When I was shopping cars there were so many clueless builds. Very frustrating to see a TI Sport, Misano, Yellow Calipers and no LSD... etc What a waste. I don't think Ice really looked good under any color combos, though I know many would disagree. Lusso has to fight much harder in lux segment then Veloce does in performance. A car this price should have the basic assist features standard. My dealer complained about losing Y Spoke on the Nero's apparently they were pretty popular, though for me the 5 hole is really a gorgeous wheel.

Anyway, if it helps make the care more profitable I'm for it...maybe a more profitable car would lead to a engine model to bridge TI and QV....

201 - 220 of 381 Posts