Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite its numerous and manifest flaws of methodology, the Power IQ study always attracts media attention. The survey for MY21 is out: Alfa Romeo clocked in at 2.04 quality "flaws" per vehicle.

Look around the neighborhood and Alfa is keeping company with Volvo (2.1 per vehicle), Acura (2.0 per vehicle), Land Rover (2.0 per vehicle) and MB (1.93 per vehicle). Within the limits of this study, AR is notably ahead of Audi (2.4 per vehicle) and notably behind BMW (1.66 per vehicle).

Put it in perspective: the best rank was RAM (1.28 per vehicle) and the worst was Chrysler (2.5 per vehicle). It's not a big spread! Toyota was 1.57 and Honda was 1.64. Despite what the keyboard cynics say (<cough> Jalopnik), AR is thoroughly competitive in this measure of initial quality.*

Font Pattern Parallel Screenshot Number

*JD Power elides how narrow the market spread is by multiplying everything by 100 so the difference seems greater than it is.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I really don't understand how some of these brands made it higher than Alfa. Jaguar and Land Rover quality has gone down the tubes ages ago... Maybe TaTa from India has turned the brands around? I mean there's horrible press on their quality, give it a swirl in the googles. On the flip side... I didn't expect VW, Volvo and Tesla to be worst. Woah

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
123 Posts
First off, I love my Stelvio.
Minimal issues.
But your conclusion that "AR is thoroughly competitive in this measure of initial quality" seems rather optimistic when according to the data AR ranks below industry average (204 vs 163) and 29th out of 34 manufacturers.
Since the he NFL starts this week. That's like saying the Houston Texans in 2020 at 4/12 w/l and ranked 29/32 were "thoroughly competitive".

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is total bulshit. Especially JD ! People are reporting even the absence of third row windows as fault......and they count it. Land Rover/Range , Mini, BMW and Jaguar are the most UNRELIABLE cars in the last 10 or more years and they score higher in this list ????? Such a joke !

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
43 Posts
One of the problems that I've always had with these reports is that there is no weight given to the severity of the issue. My QV has only 7000 miles across 6 months. Right now the temp reading for the transmission doesn't display properly in the infotainment screen, and if I go to race mode and then back to dynamic, I can regularly cause a fault in the active aero. That is solved by turning the car off and on again. There's 2 problems with quality for that 2.04 per 100 vehicles average. Do I care? Nope. Has the car let me sit? Nope. It is really a minor inconvenience, and doesn't detract form how happy I am with the car.

Over time, these numbers have exploded as infotainment has become more complex. Can't figure out Android Auto? That's a problem with the car. Don't like the navigation defaults? That's a problem with the car. Of course the other manufactures can (and likely do) have the same issue as Alfa with this report. So this is more to say the entire thing is pretty useless rather than an attempt to defend Alfa's place in it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But your conclusion that "AR is thoroughly competitive in this measure of initial quality" seems rather optimistic
I think the accepted definition of the competitive set is primarily die deutschen drei. In that set, it's below BMW, about the same as MB and better than Audi. I'd say that's competitive.

Reactions: EricW

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this is more to say the entire thing is pretty useless rather than an attempt to defend Alfa's place in it.
Absolutely! I opened this post with Despite its numerous and manifest flaws of methodology... . But the fact is people eat up surveys like this no matter how flawed. Think of U.S. News' university survey -- it's just as useless but grabs big headlines every year. For me, the point is (to paraphrase a noted turner of phrase) you go to market with the surveys you have, not the surveys you might want or wish to have at a later time.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,254 Posts
I agree the initial quality survey is a bit more meaningless than the reliability survey. That one i believe provides a bit more data the consumer would care about

·
Registered
527 Posts
I know its a BS survey when Ram and Dodge are ahead of Lexus/Toyota lol, like seriously, a Dodge Caravan is more reliable than a Toyota Sienna?! Anyways, I truly believe Alfa should be much higher up the ranks, and I hope nobody ever uses these charts when considering which make to go with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This survey is almost meaningless. Unless there is a weighting based on severity assigned to the reported faults it isn't worth the time of day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
These are always weird surveys. I have Tesla and Subaru (my 6th) and both have been near bulletproof.

How can Ram/Dodge have better initial quality than Lexus!?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
622 Posts
Because Lexus survey respondents have higher standards for quality maybe? Or there's more bits to go wrong on a Lexus than a ram truck?

I've taken these surveys and the questions are never clear if it's 'quality' or 'satisfaction'. A question about size of cup holder is satisfaction, but if someone says they think it's too small for their supergulp, would they mark it as lower quality .

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
309 Posts
Honestly, I think Ram and Dodge buyers are less picky than other brand car buyers. This is an "initial quality" survey after all.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Honestly, I think Ram and Dodge buyers are less picky than other brand car buyers. This is an "initial quality" survey after all.
You might be onto something here, it does make sense, the people buying the higher end cars will more likely be more picky about everything, whereas buyers for a Ram truck just care about towing or using it as a work truck, but then again, I know of a lot of people that buy them cause of their looks as well and just to have that truck appearance.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You might be onto something here, it does make sense, the people buying the higher end cars will more likely be more picky about everything, whereas buyers for a Ram truck just care about towing or using it as a work truck, but then again, I know of a lot of people that buy them cause of their looks as well and just to have that truck appearance.
All car quality surveys have always been panned for that exact reason. Higher end vehicle buyers tend to be more picky and will report things as defects that mass market car buyers don't consider as defects at all. There's really nothing "new" to be onto here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts